Post-Game Talk: GAME 49 - Enjoy Vacation Boys - BRUINS 6 Sons of Gritty 2

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I would rather see him almost double his assist totals being the number one center. If the Bruins don't go add another center I could see him hitting 30 playing with the players he has been. If he could only learn to win meaningful face-offs that would be nice as well.

Coyle is much better at faceoffs than he used to be. He used to be a train wreck at the dot, now he's average. I think the only way for him to improve on important face offs is to do them, that isn't something you can practice for.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Coyle is much better at faceoffs than he used to be. He used to be a train wreck at the dot, now he's average. I think the only way for him to improve on important face offs is to do them, that isn't something you can practice for.

Yep.

Charlie is at 49.6% as a Bruin. Last season was the first time he was over 50% (52.6%).

This season he is at 50.9%.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
He still IS a train wreck, not to mention he instantly goes into defend mode once he losses it rather than fight to win it back on 50/50's

Same technique regardless of PP's or PK's from him, he losses he concedes it.

I haven't heard a point relevant to faceoffs not being learned skill yet.
Because there isn't one

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I haven't heard a point relevant to faceoffs not being learned skill yet.

Again, winning meaningful faceoffs is not a learnable skill. Stop playing dumb.

Faceoffs being a learnable skill is a different subject of course. But even that is very debateable. You mentioned reflexes, technique, and timing. One doesn't learn reflex or timing. And we are talking about Charlie Coyle, a 13 year NHL player who wil be 32 in March. He has been improving slowly over years, most likely due to experience.

Brick must be counting those stats :)

Like the people who count votes in presidental elections?

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Watched the first period late last night, then fast forward the rest until i could tell that something happened. It was awesome finishing a game in a half hour

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Again, winning meaningful faceoffs is not a learnable skill. Stop playing dumb.

Faceoffs being a learnable skill is a different subject of course. But even that is very debateable. You mentioned reflexes, technique, and timing. One doesn't learn reflex or timing.

Reflexes and timing can most certainly be improved upon by learning new technique and by repetition/practice, so I disagree there. Otherwise, nobody would bother practicing faceoffs, and I assure you people do.

As to your point about meaningful? I'm still not understanding how improving timing, reflexes, and technique can not help both meaningful and non-meaningful faceoffs, and no, I'm not playing dumb. You really need to explain the difference between the two.

Reactions: bruinsfan1968

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
Was reading article today with Bob MacKenzie throwing trade names out & he has Lindholm from Flames to Boston for 2025 1st & Poitras.Later added maybe Freddy.I would be fine with first suggestion although losing another 1st bothers me and Lindholm is 29 Poitras 19 so thats 10 yrs too but anything with Freddy is a hard no .

in the poitras deal even with 50% retain I don't think we're cap compliant?

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Reflexes and timing can most certainly be improved upon by learning new technique and by repetition/practice, so I disagree there. Otherwise, nobody would bother practicing faceoffs, and I assure you people do.

As to your point about meaningful? I'm still not understanding how improving timing, reflexes, and technique can not help both meaningful and non-meaningful faceoffs, and no, I'm not playing dumb. You really need to explain the difference between the two.

So when exactly do NHL players practice faceoffs during a season? I don't know, but I doubt they do it much, if at all.

Original poster stated Coyle needed to learn how to win meaningful faceoffs. Specifically, meaningful faceoffs. Kind of like say he need to learn to be a more productive in the clutch. Not more productive. More procutive in the clutch. Not possible.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
So when exactly do NHL players practice faceoffs during a season? I don't know, but I doubt they do it much, if at all.

Original poster stated Coyle needed to learn how to win meaningful faceoffs. Specifically, meaningful faceoffs. Kind of like say he need to learn to be a more productive in the clutch. Not more productive. More procutive in the clutch. Not possible.

Patrice Bergeron Talks Pucks, Face-Offs And NHL 15
Speaking of face-offs, what does it take to be a good face-off artist in the real NHL?

I think it’s repetition. You have to practice. You have to ask around and find out what the guys that are center men what they do against this and that and try to see how you can implement that into your game and try to find a way to always work on different aspects of your face-off. Repetition is really the only way you can get better at it, taking as many draws as you can and really working on your quickness. The quickness of your wrists to draw it back is important, but also it’s not just about that first try, it’s about the second and third one when the puck is laying there -- to just be really quick at it.

Reactions: KWbruin

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Easy for him to say.

At 23 he averaged 55% and ended at age 37 at 61.9%.

Season to season had up and down percentages but always near the best in the game.

Not exactly talking about a Charlie Coyle here.

That said, nice response.

I think when the greatest face off man of the last two decades pretty much states he practices them all the time, you can take that as a firm rebuttal to the statement "So when exactly do NHL players practice faceoffs during a season? I don't know, but I doubt they do it much, if at all."

Though he does not say whether he practices meaningful faceoffs or not. Maybe I'll tweet him and ask. :sarcasm:

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB

The coaches drop pucks all the time for them at practice.I watched it live myself a couple times. Bergeron leaned on his stick very very hard and other players have commented how strong he was in dot that his stick was heavy.To me thats the key to big %.Still need quick hands but strong on stick is a must.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I think when the greatest face off man of the last two decades pretty much states he practices them all the time, you can take that as a firm rebuttal to the statement "So when exactly do NHL players practice faceoffs during a season? I don't know, but I doubt they do it much, if at all."

Though he does not say whether he practices meaningful faceoffs or not. Maybe I'll tweet him and ask. :sarcasm:

Maybe that's why he's the best at it.

Doesn't mean every other center in the league does it.

Obviously, Bergeron just said that so that kids would practice more.

That said, I will agree that its a firm rebuttal of my statement.

• Haha
Reactions: bruinsfan1968

duffy

Feb 12, 2006

Teams most certainly do practice face offs and the really smart ones hire guys like Oates and Bergeron to teach tricks and techniques to centers who need it.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
The coaches drop pucks all the time for them at practice.I watched it live myself a couple times. Bergeron leaned on his stick very very hard and other players have commented how strong he was in dot that his stick was heavy.To me thats the key to big %.Still need quick hands but strong on stick is a must.

Then I stand corrected.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
i think freddy is a keeper.
id much rather deal debrusk at this point.
so poitras a first and debrusk for lindholm. that may work.

Yikes that's more than 3 firsts in value. Erik Karlsson in the OG trade from Ottawa didn't even fetch that.
Your general idea is fine. I just think you don't need to give up that much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad