GDT: Game 48 | Senators @ Canucks | Part Deux | Saturday April 24nd, 10PM | CBC, SN

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Been too many games this season where it looks like no one was ready to play. I get this has been a weird year and all, but something is broken somewhere, and it needs to get fixed asap.

Reactions: Cosmix and Senscore

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Been too many games this season where it looks like no one was ready to play. I get this has been a weird year and all, but something is broken somewhere, and it needs to get fixed asap.

This is really overly negative after we won 3 of 4 on the road and lost 3-2 with the backup goalie coming in cold. Not sure what exactly you expect.

Mr Hat

Oct 24, 2017
Kelowna
It's great that Brady thinks that way, but I'm pretty sure most teams would be completely fine taking him off the ice for 5+ minutes. I'd much rather see no retaliation and a PP instead of two guys wrestling for a bit before they get off-setting penalties. Having pests in the lineup to stir the pot makes sense because most can contribute in other ways these days, but having one-dimensional JB in the lineup isn't stopping anyone from taking runs at our star players.

Also, get out of here with the "society has gone soft" nonsense. It's almost like people prefer not watching guys have their brains turned into custard for our amusement.

Pests in the lineup to stir the pot is good... fighting is bad? That's a very strange concept. I guess if you like shit disturbers causing havoc and refs controlling games?

Hockey and lacrosse are both better off with fighting there. Aside from old school fan's amusement there's momentum swings and protecting star players and goalies. Having the chance to stand up for yourself or your teammate is an integral part of the game that makes hockey unique.

In my opinion it'd be a soft and unfortunate move to cancel fighting in any men's league. NHL needs to be careful it doesn't become irrelevant to its core fans while trying to grow the audience overall.

This isn't a political forum so I won't comment further on society as a whole but I stand by that statement.

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
Disagree with a lot of the takes in this thread. The pp had some really good looks, but was overall disappointing. I think we looked good 5v5, especially Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson. That line had some tremendous shifts, and it had me super stoked to see them after putting in some hard work in the off-season. Mete had a surprisingly good game offensively, really activating for some good give-and-gos. J. Brown showed he had some patience with the puck, which was encouraging. Chabot didn't make me yell at the TV even once, something he was making me do 3-4 times a game earlier in the season.

I think this was a decent effort from the boys. The special teams sucked, but we showed well otherwise. With the loss, we now potentially get to see JBD, Abramov, or maybe one of Bishop or Amadio draw in. Looking forward to the next one!

Simplicity

Dec 23, 2017
This is what happens when you have a dishonest coach.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Disagree with a lot of the takes in this thread. The pp had some really good looks, but was overall disappointing. I think we looked good 5v5, especially Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson. That line had some tremendous shifts, and it had me super stoked to see them after putting in some hard work in the off-season. Mete had a surprisingly good game offensively, really activating for some good give-and-gos. J. Brown showed he had some patience with the puck, which was encouraging. Chabot didn't make me yell at the TV even once, something he was making me do 3-4 times a game earlier in the season.

I think this was a decent effort from the boys. The special teams sucked, but we showed well otherwise. With the loss, we now potentially get to see JBD, Abramov, or maybe one of Bishop or Amadio draw in. Looking forward to the next one!
I agree, compared to the two shutout wins earlier, the main differences were Special Teams and goaltending. 5 vs 5 is now pretty solid and well organized, but also fairly toothless offensively.

Reactions: Cosmix

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I missed the last two periods but it sure sounds like Hogberg did OK considering the situation he was put in.

The goals he let in were a bit soft but he kept the team in it in the dreaded "last game of a road trip" when it was pretty clear the mojo-level of the entire roster was low.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
I missed the last two periods but it sure sounds like Hogberg did OK considering the situation he was put in.

The goals he let in were a bit soft but he kept the team in it in the dreaded "last game of a road trip" when it was pretty clear the mojo-level of the entire roster was low.

Hogberg was fine for sure considering the situation. I would have loved to watch Anisimov get shelled in net though.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Thought the team looked off last night. Can't put my finger on it, but they weren't firing on all cylinders and I thought the energy level was a little lower than the last few games.

They are having bad luck with goalies getting injured lately - strange luck.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Thought the team looked off last night. Can't put my finger on it, but they weren't firing on all cylinders and I thought the energy level was a little lower than the last few games.

They are having bad luck with goalies getting injured lately - strange luck.

They looked shit. The passing was awful. Communication was worse.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
They looked shit. The passing was awful. Communication was worse.

It's as if the team was in need of a shakeup. I don't know, maybe a couple of lineup changes. I hear we have some young guys who are (yet again) ready to make a difference out there. But what do I know? Let's keep playing Stutzle with White when they haven't generated much. Keep Tierney and Dzingel in when all they've done is skate from their own zone to the neutral zone.

This has always been a DJ problem. Even from the start. The young guys have bailed him out as of late, but he's hard headed when it comes time to make obvious changes.

Am I saying that adding Abramov/Brown/JBD instead of the no-shows would make us win yesterday? Nope. But come on! It's worth a god damn try.

Reactions: Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Chabot has really been cutting down on mistakes after we added other players who can get out of the dzone :sarcasm:

Chabot looks like he thinks he can do certain puck-handling maneuvers but gets checked too often and thus screws up. Having better other D men will help this team a lot rather than relying on Chabot for too many minutes. Hopefully Chabot will temper his risky plays and learn to pass to his partner or forwards sooner.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Guess Brannstrom and Hawryluk didn't get along last year in their half season together.

Cowen looked like a surefire top pairing D when he was at the WJC, from what I remember.

That was not my take on him. He did not play much if I recall right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad