GDT: Game 48: Sabres vs Canucks - 1/18 10pm ET (MSG-B, WGR 550)

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
if Risto didn't have his head up his rear end, he receives the pass from Pilut and there is no turnover to begin with. What was Risto doing just standing there not moving his feet at all?

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
if Risto didn't have his head up his rear end, he receives the pass from Pilut and there is no turnover to begin with. What was Risto doing just standing there not moving his feet at all?
Thats the same Rob Ray said its a bit a gaffe of both players but certainly not Pilut alone

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
It is irrelevant what Risto is doing there, (which by the way is covering the lane to the net from the half wall where a Canucks player was), he DID NOT have puck possession, Pilut did and Pilut HAD TIME, he WAS NOT under any serious pressure.
The kid made a poor decision and an even poorer pass which cost the team a goal, don't try and blame another player for the actions of Pilut, he and he alone is directly responsible for his own actions. Seems to be a problem in today's society, blaming the other guy for something someone else did. smh.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
It is irrelevant what Risto is doing there, (which by the way is covering the lane to the net from the half wall where a Canucks player was), he DID NOT have puck possession, Pilut did and Pilut HAD TIME, he WAS NOT under any serious pressure.
The kid made a poor decision and an even poorer pass which cost the team a goal, don't try and blame another player for the actions of Pilut, he and he alone is directly responsible for his own actions. Seems to be a problem in today's society, blaming the other guy for something someone else did. smh.

You would be dead wrong in this instance. Yes, Pilut shouldn't have made the pass. But Risto CANNOT be a pylon. Any foot movement, that is a harmless breakout

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
You would be dead wrong in this instance. Yes, Pilut shouldn't have made the pass. But Risto CANNOT be a pylon. Any foot movement, that is a harmless breakout
Incorrect.
As was stated and the video proves factually, it is irrelevant what Risto is doing. He didn't just stop, look at the review, it is more than clear Risto's there more than a couple seconds "before Pilut releases the pass". Pilut wasn't throwing the pass where "he thought Risto was going to be". He made a bad decision followed by bad execution, once again, he wasn't 7nder serious pressure, he had time to decide on another course of action.

I suppose those of you who "claim" Risto should have been moving would of also claimed Risto shouldn't have been moving 8f the pass would of gone behind him, or he wasn't moving fast enough if the pass was still out of reach. Just unbelievable the lengths people go to gold brick responsibility.
Pilut made a bad decision followed by bad execution, own it, learn from it, and move along.

Reactions: k8prisoner

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
What you do with Scandella's retirment pain.
Its certainly hurting the team like on GA 2 and the game before that.
I rather have someone play who is gonna be here longer than this season.

Scandella has a larger body of work. I'm surprised people want to toss him on the junk heap considering he has a pretty successful track record.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Half of the season now has been at the same point pace as last season
No, we did not have this many wins by the trade deadline last year. nor did we have any excitement like a 10 game win strak.
only one team has ever missed with a 10 game win streak, a columbus team who was bottom 5 all year and then ripped one off in March
I seem to remember Colorado going on a 10 game win streak and missing the playoffs the year before
It's coming with the worst behind-the-1-C center depth in team history and in the league this year. It's coming with not taking advantage of a breakout scoring year for Jack and a career year for Jeff.
Housley is a big proponent of where we are, he placed with 62 points last season and now this season is riding the wave of Eichel, Skinner and Reinhart yet nothing changed with how bad of a coach he is.
Why should we feel good about that? Why should we feel good about missing the playoffs but hoping for the future for the eighth year in a row after the previous franchise record was three? For punting Jack's 4th season and just HOPING that we can maybe make it in next season with a similar team to the one that let it fall out of their hands in a way that only they have done in history?
Because this team has been exciting this season, every game we play I feel we have a chance to win. I have not felt that in over 8 years. I can tell you what the problem is, YOUR EXPECTATIONS ARE NOT REALISTIC AND WAY TOO HIGH. How often do teams jump from a 62 point season to a 100 point season? Going into this season if anyone expected playoffs they had unrealistic expectations and just because of a win streak you developed completely unrealistic expectations of a team who not more than 2 years ago was playing with a large majority of AHL talent and we still have some on the roster but we have young talent coming up to replace them and developing that talent properly takes time.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Hoping that the team takes the next ten days, gets some rest, gets mentally reset, and then comes back on January 29th really strong. I don't know how many teams get this type of break, but they need to really get their heads and bodies straight for the playoff push.

Housley needs to fix the PP. A decent PP and this team wins a few of these close ones.

Botterill needs to make some shrewd moves to bolster the team without compromising the future.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
No, we did not have this many wins by the trade deadline last year. nor did we have any excitement like a 10 game win strak.
I seem to remember Colorado going on a 10 game win streak and missing the playoffs the year beforeHousley is a big proponent of where we are, he placed with 62 points last season and now this season is riding the wave of Eichel, Skinner and Reinhart yet nothing changed with how bad of a coach he is.

Because this team has been exciting this season, every game we play I feel we have a chance to win. I have not felt that in over 8 years. I can tell you what the problem is, YOUR EXPECTATIONS ARE NOT REALISTIC AND WAY TOO HIGH. How often do teams jump from a 62 point season to a 100 point season? Going into this season if anyone expected playoffs they had unrealistic expectations and just because of a win streak you developed completely unrealistic expectations of a team who not more than 2 years ago was playing with a large majority of AHL talent and we still have some on the roster but we have young talent coming up to replace them and developing that talent properly takes time.
Just last season a team went from 48 points (!) to 95 and made the playoffs.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
It’s frustrating that we’re close to wasting Jacks 4th season in the league. This team has stretches of good play, you can see the young guns flash ability more often than not lately but we just aren’t picking up points. I’m hovering around stay the course or make a move or two. C.J. should be up full time no doubt. We have far too many corpses on this roster to have a sustainable win streak.

He’s not the only young star having “wasted” years that was Mackinnons second playoffs in six seasons last year, Tavares has made it once in ten years, barkovs made it once in five six years after missing this one, Rick Nash never made it in his first decade skinners still never been there, I’m sure Eichel likes playing for a team that has at least a chance.

Mcdavids made it once, and that’s mcdavid and Gaudreau once, Matthews and marner have never won a series.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Tavares has made it once in ten years,

This is NOT true. Captain Pajamas was in the playoffs in his 4th season. His 5th season (the Vanek season) was killed by his injury in the Olympics, his 6th season saw playoffs, his 7th season not only resulted in the playoffs but saw his team win a series. Season 8 was totaled by the horrible tandem of Garth and Fred Flinstone (who was living in Garth's basement, and no I am not making that up). Season 9 saw Garth's crowning achievement of utter incompetence by having a coach who (and stop me if you heard this before) had zero experience and was totally in over his head. The result was a team that missed the playoffs by SEVENTEEN points.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
an outlier
Of all teams to finish bottom of their conference since 2013-14, the non-Sabres teams are 5/8 in terms of making it the next season, and the Sabres will be 0/3 in thatt stretch if they miss this year.

We are the outlier, and not in a good way. The other teams are the Oilers and Coyotes, these three franchises share a role as the rest of the NHL's stomping grounds.

Last edited:

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Of all teams to finish bottom of their conference since 2013-14, the non-Sabres teams are 5/8 in terms of making it the next season, and the Sabres will be 0/3 in thatt stretch if they miss this year.
Those teams weren't dismantled down to the foundation, the Leafs had a strong farm team and only removed Kessel and the Pylon, the Edmonton Oilers got McDavid after they were rebuilding for 10 years and had multiple 1sts to bolster their run. The New Jersey Devils already had a foundation and added Taylor Hall while lucking into Hischier and then made the playoffs. The Colorado Avalanche are the complete outliers in this situation.

Also of note, most of those teams had more points then us when hitting rock bottom and the following year made it in with 90 to 95 points which this year in our conference, 95 seems like the minimum teams will be sneaking in. We would have a better chance this year to repeat what those other teams did if we were playing in the Western Conference.

Its possible but missing the playoffs isn't end all be all when we don't even have 60% of the our playoff product on the roster.

Reactions: Snippit

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Those teams weren't dismantled down to the foundation, the Leafs had a strong farm team and only removed Kessel and the Pylon, the Edmonton Oilers got McDavid after they were rebuilding for 10 years and had multiple 1sts to bolster their run. The New Jersey Devils already had a foundation and added Taylor Hall while lucking into Hischier and then made the playoffs. The Colorado Avalanche are the complete outliers in this situation.

Also of note, most of those teams had more points then us when hitting rock bottom and the following year made it in with 90 to 95 points which this year in our conference, 95 seems like the minimum teams will be sneaking in. We would have a better chance this year to repeat what those other teams did if we were playing in the Western Conference.

Its possible but missing the playoffs isn't end all be all when we don't even have 60% of the our playoff product on the roster.
Where is this 60% playoff product supposed to come from?

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Where is this 60% playoff product supposed to come from?
Youth in our system, Nylander, CJ Smith, Asplund (Guhle if he can find his game) to name a few and we have some good potential a year or two out and 3 first round picks to bolster our ranks either thru the draft or a young quality NHLer.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

Outside of Hall and Nico that Devils team/roster was complete toilet water.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Youth in our system, Nylander, CJ Smith, Asplund (Guhle if he can find his game) to name a few and we have some good potential a year or two out and 3 first round picks to bolster our ranks either thru the draft or a young quality NHLer.
Those 1sts, if all are selected, won't be ready for another 3 yrs or so most likely. That's over half of Jack's current contract time, and that's if they pan out, which I wouldn't count on 1 or 2 of the 4. Even then, what if they're just secondary or complimentary pieces?
Same with the current prospects in the system.

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
Fine, I’ll let everyone be depressed then, I’m pointing out something they can build off after the break. The effort tonight and a big win over Calgary, or maybe we should just say oh we lost so obviously we’re awful and there’s nothing to build off. It doesent matter that in the first period we held a territorial advantage for 15 of the 20 minutes, and outchanced and shot them two to one overall then lost by a goal ..if they play like this, they have a chance.

People are acting like we were playing two weeks ago with some of the comments. I hear this team needs to figure it out? What? So they are supposed to play better then dominating the other team? Effort is everything. We didn’t get the bounces, I wouldn’t be saying this if we didn’t play like we did tonight. I’m not some rob ray needing to say something positive. I understand the frustration

Vancouver is the team I hate the most so the fact I’m positive right now shocks even me, but like I said i dig efforts like that.
Thing is Jack boy, if we're in the playoffs race come march and we're 1-2 points out, I'm going to be thinking, "God dammit we should have beaten Vancouver (Without pettersson) and Edmonton. how did we lose to them :(

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Those 1sts, if all are selected, won't be ready for another 3 yrs or so most likely. That's over half of Jack's current contract time, and that's if they pan out, which I wouldn't count on 1 or 2 of the 4. Even then, what if they're just secondary or complimentary pieces?
Same with the current prospects in the system.

That's the NHL for you. If you can't hit on your picks and develop your prospects, you won't have enough talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad