GDT: Game 48: Sabres vs Canucks - 1/18 10pm ET (MSG-B, WGR 550)

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Hey I have a great idea! Let’s call up greenhorn or nearly greenhorn rookies, because like they will super help this team, chock full of young players, win more games!

:sarcasm:

Reactions: Eichel9

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
The way this team looks I’m checking out. Clearly the plan is to hold firm playoffs or not. Not suprised this is where we’ve ended. But clearly management has no interest in winnning this season so I have no interest in watching
Ok .. "your drifting too far from the shore, your drifting too far from the shore ..come to (the captain) today let him show you the way..."

I hear you but this is about eichman and Jeffrey healing and playin the next ten mostly at home ..then you can jump.. I believe a refocusing from the youth who have never played 82 and a renewed comittment will do wonders for a team this green.. Or not ..but we will know by trade deadline.
. It will be fun. (wry laugh) . This game made me sick but I actually belueve they are better off feeling disgusted with themselves instead of feeling self satisfied and being punched in the mouth the next month..

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Sorry but no.. This was a bad team they played against.. Instead of stepping on their necks after first goal they made mistakes and missed simple assignments.. disgusting..
Yes they come to play against TB and Calgary but these are they games they must learn to play with dicipline on the road like they did well earlier.. Dont be satisfied w this..

Yeah ....and they came to play tonight. Bit sure what’s disgusting about dominating the other team and just not getting the bounces. As for Bad team, meh they’re in a playoff spot, can’t be that bad....and a hot goalie steal the game he is an amazing prospect after all. I understand being mad that we didn’t win against a team we likely should of but I’m not mad at how they played. You can be though of course, although I don’t understand why if you watched the game.

I’m mad with the coaching and some of the bone headed decisions made on the ice to lead to there goals but all in all it was a game we were controlling. I’d rather have these then the ones before. Just like I’d rather have a season where we’re in a playoff tace then say dead last or with no hope like ya panthers fans who were told there team would make it and there like ten pts back of us? And if you say draft lottery, meh I’m sick of just hoping for that especially now that we won it and with the great prospects still have three first round picks this year.

Not the way I wanted to see the Sabres go into the all star break.

This loss really hurt them in thr playoff race.

Montreal won tonight. Pittsburgh won tonight.

Now Boston and Montreal both sit 5pts ahead of us. The Penguins sit 4pts ahead.

True we have a game in hand in Habs so we win that it’s a three ot difference, out of everyone thats the team we have to catch IMO, we play them a few more times I hope, could do some damage if we regulation win them. Only problem is they have a great coach, and a fast team that has chemistry. It’s amazing they don’t need a number one center to Be this good. I don’t get on paper how the Habs are where they are, like nick kypreos says when looking at where they are “HOW??”

Reactions: truthbluth

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
Yeah ....and they came to play tonight. Bit sure what’s disgusting about dominating the other team and just not getting the bounces. As for Bad team, meh they’re in a playoff spot, can’t be that bad....and a hot goalie steal the game he is an amazing prospect after all. I understand being mad that we didn’t win against a team we likely should of but I’m not mad at how they played. You can be though of course, although I don’t understand why if you watched the game.

I’m mad with the coaching and some of the bone headed decisions made on the ice to lead to there goals but all in all it was a game we were controlling. I’d rather have these then the ones before. Just like I’d rather have a season where we’re in a playoff tace then say dead last or with no hope like ya panthers fans who were told there team would make it and there like ten pts back of us? And if you say draft lottery, meh I’m sick of just hoping for that especially now that we won it and with the great prospects still have three first round picks this year.

True we have a game in hand in Habs so we win that it’s a three ot difference, out of everyone thats the team we have to catch IMO, we play them a few more times I hope, could do some damage if we regulation win them. Only problem is they have a great coach, and a fast team that has chemistry. It’s amazing they don’t need a number one center to Be this good. I don’t get on paper how the Habs are where they are, like nick kypreos says when looking at where they are “HOW??”
Ok.. it was a good first two periods but I want to kill scandella more than our slick pilut..I like your attitude better than the suicide crew.. They need to finish though..

Reactions: Tage2Tuch

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
I find it hard to blame Housley. This team does a lot of things well. I watch the oppositions' broadcasts more than our own and from the outsiders' point of view we are a fast aggressive team. We lose more than we win when we outplay teams like tonight, during the 10 game winning streak we were the outplayed team mostly. I blame Botterill, the ROR trade top of the list, losing ROR and Kane and only real replacement in the top 6 was Skinner - that's a very tall order to expect a dead last team to improve to playoff team, Dahlin has been great for an 18 year old rookie but he's still 18 and makes mistakes defensively. The poor PP really hurts us and has cost us at least a few wins. That's on the coaching staff. We had the league's top PP under Bylsma.

Trotz and Julien have their teams whose rosters don't look better than ours ahead of us - the difference is those teams have had more contributions from their middle 2 lines.

Reactions: GellMann

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
How many people would have been mad at Phil if he benched Larry Pi for this game>? Now, how many are mad at Phil for this loss?? Armchair GM much???
I’m not against benching a player early when he has an off night. Stupid how he makes a great pass almost across the whole ice to follow it up with a giveaway in front of our net.

Or maybe it is Housley coaching him leading to the increase in mistakes.:sarcasm:

Gordo21

Feb 9, 2017
I’m not against benching a player early when he has an off night. Stupid how he makes a great pass almost across the whole ice to follow it up with a giveaway in front of our net.

Or maybe it is Housley coaching him leading to the increase in mistakes.:sarcasm:
Or maybe he's just been anointed a little too early in his very young career and players with s bit more experience should be in there?

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
Hey I have a great idea! Let’s call up greenhorn or nearly greenhorn rookies, because like they will super help this team, chock full of young players, win more games!

:sarcasm:

Yeah, why bother trying to improve the trash 'vets' that are dragging this team down with young talent. What an insane idea.
Gotta have those young guys pay their dues, right?

Too bad our managment and some fand still live in the stone age of player development.

Gordo21

Feb 9, 2017
Yeah, why bother trying to improve the trash 'vets' that are dragging this team down with young talent. What an insane idea.
Gotta have those young guys pay their dues, right?

Too bad our managment and some fand still live in the stone age of player development.
Do you play fantasy league?

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Or maybe he's just been anointed a little too early in his very young career and players with s bit more experience should be in there?
Pilut has been great. His style of play will lead to boneheaded mistakes, but even with the terrible turnover, there is no calculus that takes him out of the lineup before Scandella.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
The difference between the team we are watching now, and the team that won 10 in a row is goaltending. It over-performed during the hot streak, and is under-performing during this rut.

Reactions: k8prisoner

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
The difference between the team we are watching now, and the team that won 10 in a row is goaltending. It over-performed during the hot streak, and is under-performing during this rut.
So, your saying while you don't believe it was Aliens, but, it was Aliens then?

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
It was goaltending and it was unsustainably timely 3rd period goals and comebacks. During the 10 game win streak... Skinner and Eichel both pot goals with three minutes left to come back and win this one. Before and after the 10 game win streak... we battle a little bit to make things interesting but ultimately lose and make Demko look like an all-star in the dying minutes of the game.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Disappointing game. Minus some individual errors, we should have had this one. Demko played well for Vancouver.

Friendly reminder to the doom and gloom crowd. We’re out of the playoffs but there are still 34 games left on the season.

I’d feel better if their arrow wasn’t so clearly pointing down. They’re 7-12-4 since the streak. That’s a 64-point pace. Unless Phil and Botts have revelations over the break that they can’t have so much dead wood in the lineup and on the roster, this team is going nowhere.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX

Shows that despite having players like Eichel and Dahlin, goaltending remains the most important position on the team. Below average goaltending will make a good team miss the playoffs. See the 2007-2008 team where we were the 4th highest scoring team in the league, but Miller was terrible with a SP barely above .900. We missed the playoffs despite scoring a ton

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
They had clear possession for like 30 seconds before Phil pulled him. It looked like a PP. You can make the decision to pull him at any point. For some reason he waited until the line had had possession for what seemed like an eternity before pulling him. But he still did it when the Mitts line was out there. It didn’t make any sense.
That was my point, he was waiting for them to lose it to toss out Eichel's line. They didn't and time was a ticking so he pulled him. It just shows Phil doesn't trust his lines.

Gordo21

Feb 9, 2017
Pilut has been great. His style of play will lead to boneheaded mistakes, but even with the terrible turnover, there is no calculus that takes him out of the lineup before Scandella.
It was at least 6 plays, not 1. But great, whatever you say.

Bottom line, we lost another game we should have won

Last edited:

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Bad loss. 5 points out of a wild card spot having played more games than those ahead of us, except for Montreal.

Leicester loses a bad game to Wolves this morning.

The snow is arriving.

Looks like I picked a good weekend to resume drinking.....

:facepalm:

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
My thoughts on last night:

We played well. Very well. In general, well enough to win. Team defense really let us down on the Baertschi and Eriksson goals -- the guys got some sort of brain lock and decided "hey, let's all watch the puck". That will never end well. But that's something that a young team does. The Edler goal was one that happens to every team -- guy gets position in front of net, puck goes past screened goalie who has no idea where the puck is. Then the Pilut gaffe. Risto probably could have played that slightly better, but yeah.

We battled hard. Demko came up with some big stops. When the season started, this is exactly the type of game I thought we'd see a lot of -- we battle hard, but come out on the losing end basically because we're still learning how to win consistently. Next year, I bet we win this game.

Reactions: k8prisoner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad