GDT: Game 48 | Jackets at Oilers | 1/25 9:30 pm

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Is Gudbranson really one of the best options for 3-3 OT right now?

I think actually yes?

He's crazy fast in open ice - he caught McLeod on a breakaway today which is wild, McLeod is about as fast as Eric Robinson. And maybe Guddy doesn't have to think as much with fewer players on the ice.

Reactions: 3074326

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Good fight, good win.

Some pretty good defensive plays by Gudbransson and again he is out on OT, which is weird and still ongoing joke by Brad Larsen. Still, Badbransson gets destroyed on shots against, though playing a lot against McDavid tends to do that to you. If they had a better system, maybe, just maybe also Gudbransson would have a chance to improve into a decent 3rd pair NHL defenseman.

13-38-29 & 91-96-86 make so much more sense than many other variations we have seen. More "luck" needed for burying more goals, but esp. the 1st line tends to have more opportunities than the opponents and that makes you hopeful.

After recovering from the surgery, Korpisalo has been a pretty good goalie after all. Having had some nagging injuries myself, I can relate how frustrating it had to be when he could do only "80%" or so what he was when healthy.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
I think actually yes?

He's crazy fast in open ice - he caught McLeod on a breakaway today which is wild, McLeod is about as fast as Eric Robinson. And maybe Guddy doesn't have to think as much with fewer players on the ice.

Gudbransson definitely was surprisingly fast when he catched that breakaway.

But still, no, he is not a good option for 3-on-3: no vision, no hands, no quick passing, no scoring ability. Fortunately he didn't need to do anything but just stay on ice when Gaudreau & Johnson were playing the puck.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Just woke up. Checked scores. Thought I was still asleep having a nightmare.:eek3:

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
okay so hear me out OBVIOUSLY we’re not going to make playoffs lol… currently we sit 23 points out of a playoff spot. my question is, I wonder if there’s ever been a team in that has been 23 points out of a playoff spot and came back to make playoffs.

I don’t know how to look that up. ha

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
okay so hear me out OBVIOUSLY we’re not going to make playoffs lol… currently we sit 23 points out of a playoff spot. my question is, I wonder if there’s ever been a team in that has been 23 points out of a playoff spot and came back to make playoffs.

I don’t know how to look that up. ha
Check the Blues from a couple years back?

Grouchy

Nov 2, 2006
Canal Winchester, OH
Couldn't watch last night but just watched the highlights.

Nice highlight reel save by Korpisalo; feels good to see him start to get his game back and hopefully it can filter down to Elvis and beyond. I know he isn't a long term solution but still nice to see - unless, I guess, if you are embracing full on tank mode.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Connor McDavid is one of the most dangerous players in the NHL and his presence on the ice is always a threat. He has scored a goal in almost 0.83 games (2022-2023) on average, according to [1]. That said, it is not impossible for him to go an entire game without scoring a goal, as evidenced by his scoreless performances in 6 of his last 10 games. The odds of him going an entire game without scoring a goal are currently -185, according to [1]. While this suggests it is unlikely, the Oilers' ability to perform without McDavid, highlighted by their improved shot attempts and scoring without him on the ice, as mentioned in [2], suggests that it is possible. Additionally, as [3] states, the Oilers' scoring chances with Draisaitl sans McDavid are perfectly in-line with the shot metrics and eventually the goals would likely reflect this. Ultimately, the odds of Connor McDavid going an entire game without scoring a goal are not in his favour, but with the Oilers' ability to perform without him, it is not impossible.

References: [1] Connor McDavid NHL Prop Odds and Stats - Covers.com [2] The Edmonton Oilers without Connor McDavid on the ice [3] How effective is Leon Draisaitl without Connor McDavid?
I miss NotWendell

Reactions: NotWendell

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Didnt watch the 3rd but a good effort from a lot of guys. Berni's skating is a real asset for him. Peeke was more physical than he has been which is how he needs to play to be successful. Johnson played a poor game for the most part but finally the coaching staff let a kid play through it and was rewarded.

The team as a whole did a good job supporting each other and collapsing on McDavid in the zone limiting his chances about as well as you can expect for the most part.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
Marchenko is a beast and will be a serious core piece. He doesn't care how bad this team is, just doing his thing. People on this board attempted to downplay his future impact as its pretty unexpected. But here we are, he continues to score and and now we see the back pedaling. Love to see it.

Legit 1st line potential.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Marchenko is a beast and will be a serious core piece. He doesn't care how bad this team is, just doing his thing. People on this board attempted to downplay his future impact as its pretty unexpected. But here we are, he continues to score and and now we see the back pedaling. Love to see it.

Legit 1st line potential.
Wasnt he rated among our top prospects in many offseason votes?

Reactions: LJ7

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
A tank commander is a person in charge of commanding a tank and its crew. They are responsible for leading the tank in battle and making decisions on when and how to engage the enemy. They are also responsible for the overall well-being and safety of the crew, including navigation, and communication. See: Kent Johnson.
The Tank Commander HfBoard of Directors just demoted Kent to infantryman. :cool: ……(Me? I say Go KJ!!)

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
As soon as Marchenko gets players on his line that can finish consistantly, his assists will come. The goal he scored last night, the way he created his chance, is what was noticeable since day one with the Monsters. He has the ability to create scoring chances for himself, and also create space where he can pass the puck to someone with a better chance. They were finishing for him in Cleveland as noted by his 11 helpers in 16 games. The assists will come.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
The Tank Commander HfBoard of Directors just demoted Kent to infantryman. :cool: ……(Me? I say Go KJ!!)
AI: An ineffective tank commander should be someone who is not responsible for the operation and tactical deployment of tanks in a military setting. This could be a foot soldier, a non-combat support role member, or a civilian.

• Haha
Reactions: MoeBartoli

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad