GDT: Game 48 | Bruins @ Avs 10PM, NESN, 98.5

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
As TLC pointed out, the whole team was gassed, given killing all those penalities on the second night of a 2-in-2. Also, that line was pinned for more than a minute. Chara was knocked down in the crease, so he was the most noticeable, just as a goalie is so often blamed for goals.

I watched the game; I actually didn't see him get knocked down; thought he fell down on his own, but it was getting late, I might have missed that; think it was off camera sort of. My concern is that he sort of s-t-a-y-e-d down, kinda in a "I've fallen and can't get up" kinda way.

I'm just cringing about what will happen to him during yet another long and arduous playoff campaign when the fatigue factor will be worse.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
He let in one SO goal...which apparently shouldn't happen according to some. That isn't bad at all, and it would have been great if our shooters could have at least potted one, but nope.
Oh well. I'd love to have ties back.

I was happy to see one of them hit the net for a change. Most shootouts we don't even force the goalie to make a save. Pretty pathetic really.

Not Rask's fault but I usually turn off the game at that point if it goes to a shootout.

TootSweet

Sep 22, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Chara on the PP late in 3rd of a 2-1 game where he was overused due to all those penalties was a dumbass call by Claude. You want to play prevent Defense and lollygag on PP put someone else out there. Totay stupid move in my opinion and it has to stop if we have any chance of saving Chara's health for PO.

Southern Gentleman B

May 1, 2011
Brevard, NC
Thought after the interview between 2nd and 3rd period with assistant coach we would play well, said team was hungry for the win. As others have posted, excessive time on the PK in the 2nd and no time to acclimate to the altitude probably doomed us in the 3rd. I thought the effort was there, but tired legs with diminished oxygen won out. This team has so little margin for error because they can't score more than 2, occasionally 3 goals. Have to play almost perfect, the defensive lapses last night were just too much to overcome.

SerenityRick

Jan 23, 2008
Moultonborough, NH
If you're gonna lose, at least lose in OT/SO.

Considering they were travelling, playing really late on the night of a back to back.. I'll take the point.

Call that loser talk, I don't even care. After killing all those penalties and what? two abbreviated 5on3s? Take the point and enjoy the all star break and get ready to kick ass in the final half.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
If you're gonna lose, at least lose in OT/SO.

Considering they were travelling, playing really late on the night of a back to back.. I'll take the point.

Call that loser talk, I don't even care. After killing all those penalties and what? two abbreviated 5on3s? Take the point and enjoy the all star break and get ready to kick ass in the final half.

Okay, this is loser talk...:naughty:

Have to say, they came out slow, and finished even slower. Not surprising since their coach has given them the ready made excuse of it being back to back games since day one of the season. Weak. Sub par effort. But I agree, take the points and get some rest...

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
The fact that you ask someone for quantifiable evidence over such a statement (which has been established as opinion) is more than a little foolish.

Rask is competitive. I, personally, don't like how he seems to sit back and wait so much in shootouts. Especially on those ones where the guy is slowly coasting in. He just slowly backs into the goal. That's a dream for a sniper. You've got to challenge every once and a while to keep the shooters on their feet.

Disclaimer: this is an OPINION.

Please. Opinions are fine. I just have more respect for opinions that are based on something - like reason and rationality and intelligent observation.

To pin a shootout loss on Tuukka by suggesting he doesn't give a crap about shootouts is asinine. "Screw it, guys, I'm not gonna try to give us an extra point." Yeah, that sounds like Tuukka.

Based on what, that he doesn't play more aggressively? So we're telling the Vezina winner how to play goal now? Sheesh.

Just because he doesn't play shooters more aggressively doesn't mean he doesn't care. To draw that conclusion is what is truly foolish. Nothing to do with "quantifiable evidence." It's about not drawing foolish conclusions.

cat400

Jul 30, 2005
Given where the team stood on Jan. 1st and the way they had been playing, one should be pleased with them tied for 7th and 7 pts. clear of the nearest non-play-off team games played not withstanding.

Combined the above with the fact that Rask is at the top of his game and the overall team compete game has been getting better and better.

Can't fault the team last night as they gave it their all and came up 1 pt. short.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
The AHL is testing a 7-minute OT that starts off 4-on-4 and moves to 3-on-3 at the 3-minute mark (at the closest stoppage). Early returns are very good - shootouts have been greatly reduced.

I like this idea - or something like it that adds the 3-on-3 component. The game the B's played where they had off-setting penalties in OT and played 3-on-3 was very fun to watch.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
In this game, it was primarily Iginla's tally with less than a second remaining in the first. When The Av's hit the blue line with a mere 4.8 seconds on the clock I was nervous. What ensued was just terrible fundamental hockey.

Slow on defensive assignments, a low percentage shot that led to an almost unthinkable angle on the rebound, and yet another back breaking goal as a period expires.

It was a goal that shouldn't have happened, but hardly "back-breaking" seeing as the B's went on to score 2 to take the lead.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
The Bruins beat a team on the second night for their opponent, and it's "of course the Bruins should beat a team on a back-to-back!"

The Bruins lose the second night of a back-to-back, and it's "that's no excuse!"

:laugh:

mislysBB

Aug 6, 2013
Northeast
I was happy to see one of them hit the net for a change. Most shootouts we don't even force the goalie to make a save. Pretty pathetic really.

Not Rask's fault but I usually turn off the game at that point if it goes to a shootout.

Yeah, the Bruins are amazingly predictable in the SO. Pretty sad really, probably the one time where I wish we had a true sniper.

Unless it's a SO against the Devils :laugh:

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Chara on the PP late in 3rd of a 2-1 game where he was overused due to all those penalties was a dumbass call by Claude. You want to play prevent Defense and lollygag on PP put someone else out there. Totay stupid move in my opinion and it has to stop if we have any chance of saving Chara's health for PO.

PP time is easy for him. The PKing over the last 2 nights is why he was likely exhausted. What is it, 13 PKs in 2 nights with 2 5 on 3s?

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
It was a goal that shouldn't have happened, but hardly "back-breaking" seeing as the B's went on to score 2 to take the lead.

True, but there's also the cumulative effect of tired legs on a back-to-back. I like Darryl Sutter's approach, especially in games like this - they are basically a race to see who gets to 3 goals first.

In that regard, giving one away is a bit of a back breaker, at least in my eyes, because of all the work that must be done just to get even.

I agree with the posters that say they were gassed. And for that reason a gift goal like that is really brutal. I don't know about you, but when they were up 2-1, I never had a lot of confidence they were going to win by that margin.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
yup. not a fan of the Pasta 'slash' - or the hook where McLeod was clearly holding the stick... but can't change it. would like more discretion on delay of games but that gets into muddy waters.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
The Bruins beat a team on the second night for their opponent, and it's "of course the Bruins should beat a team on a back-to-back!"

The Bruins lose the second night of a back-to-back, and it's "that's no excuse!"

:laugh:

what??? That`s never the expectation here:sarcasm:

3 outta 4pts back to back or otherwise for this fan is something I`ll take:yo:

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
True, but there's also the cumulative effect of tired legs on a back-to-back. I like Darryl Sutter's approach, especially in games like this - they are basically a race to see who gets to 3 goals first.

In that regard, giving one away is a bit of a back breaker, at least in my eyes, because of all the work that must be done just to get even.

I agree with the posters that say they were gassed. And for that reason a gift goal like that is really brutal. I don't know about you, but when they were up 2-1, I never had a lot of confidence they were going to win by that margin.

I felt the same way. Mental errors were adding up and players legs were going. Even with Rask playing so well I felt they were gonna pay for trying to play it safe in the 3rd. Especially with that dud of a powerplay at the end. We really needed an insurance goal.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
I watched the game; I actually didn't see him get knocked down; thought he fell down on his own, but it was getting late, I might have missed that; think it was off camera sort of. My concern is that he sort of s-t-a-y-e-d down, kinda in a "I've fallen and can't get up" kinda way.

From seeing the replay, I seem to recall the Avs player he was covering gave him a bit of a shove - not much - and Chara kind of overcompensated trying to get back in position, lost his balance, and... "timber!"

I'd like to think that if he had been on his feet, that goal doesn't get scored.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
From seeing the replay, I seem to recall the Avs player he was covering gave him a bit of a shove - not much - and Chara kind of overcompensated trying to get back in position, lost his balance, and... "timber!"

I'd like to think that if he had been on his feet, that goal doesn't get scored.

I think a poster mention Z was playing with a knee brace on each knee, one would think that would hamper his balance greatly and make it more difficult to get up quickly as well

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto

I guess to me, a "back breaker" means a goal that sucks the life out of a team and breaks their spirit because it comes at a bad time - such as last few minutes of a game - or at a crucial juncture of a game - such as a short-hander when they're trying to get back in the game on the PP - and they're never able to recover from it.

I.e., the straw that broke the camel's back.

But maybe that's just me.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
I watched whole game last nite and the way Clode handled a few things was not good.Shootout lineup should be deserving.No way Smith or Bergeron last nite played well enough to earn a shot.Also putting Cunningham on ice last 2 mins is questionable.One could argue it will be benefit down road but his failed clear not using glass led directly to tying goal.And lastly his powerplay units are just laughable.Sitting his best sniper and deserving Marchand .Last nites game should have been 2 pts.They fought hard and were let down by coaching.On bright side 7 pts ahead of Florida who have 4 games at hand.Go Bruins.Make playoffs .

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
Tuukka was lights out last night, was awesome, saved us from being down by 3 goals. However, and I have always said this, Tuukka...don't touch the puck! He'd have to be in the top 3 of worst goalies that handle the puck, hes either batting it over the glass (I think hes done that at least 3 times this season) or whipping it past defenders straight to the opposing team on the reg.

A caller spoke on 98.5 and his entire rant was about Tuukka and playing the puck, said Clode needs to chain his ass to the net and never let him leave because every time he tries to play the puck something bad happens haha, can't imagine his reaction when he saw Tuukka bat it out of play last night

Replicator

Replicated User
Jan 1, 2014

Both the goals they gave up were due to skating like a bunch of zombies out there. During the last two minutes of the 3rd, they looked like a bunch of wind-up toys that had wound down. And they didn't have the good sense to do an incremental line change. bleah.
Even on a back-to-back, they shouldn't be that gassed, and they should have beaten the Avs.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00