GDT: Game 48 | Bruins @ Avs 10PM, NESN, 98.5

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
Always have and always will hate the shootout. Nothing wrong with ending in a tie, hell some of the best games I have ever seen ended in a tie. My thing would be to extend the OT 5 mins is not enough. make it 10 and you will have a lot less ties.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Last night the refs were especially bad. Slashing penalty to Pastrnak was comical.

Marchand tripped several times, no call.. lemme guess. It's his reputation? Ridiculous.

The worst was the call on Miller. Should have been holding the stick on Colorado.

And you can count on one hand the number of times Julien has "whined" about the refs. If he mentions it post-game, it's pretty egregious.

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
I personally was pretty happy with the game last night. We had to overcome back to back plus some terrible calls and missed calls. I actually like shoot outs for regular season, I would die if it was playoffs but to me anything but 5 on 5 is a gimmick way to decide a game . The most fun gimmicks are shoot outs or 1 on 1 not 4 on 4 lol.

As far as shoot outs go we aren't unlucky we are simply one of the worst shooting teams there are. We have really had two good shoot guys here in kessel and seguin that is it. Wheeler was probably our 3rd best. I don't know pastrnaks history in them but maybe he will help . We have never needed the extra point before so we just never noticed it as much as this year. I think one year we did good in them , but that was just pure luck .

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
i don't understand how some blame Rask for this lost, he's been lights out.
Last 2 shootouts they've scored Zero goals, they've 0% chance in shootouts to win.
Chiarelli has to make 2 trades and I hope he makes them soon, if he thinks this team is ready for a long playoff run he should be fired right away.

BsEuphoria

The Future
Sep 21, 2013
NHL officials are brutal every night, but it will continue as long as the coach whines about it.

It will continue whether the coach whines or not. I believe the sample size is big enough that reffing is not completely borked for everyone in the league. By the end of this year, it won't be surprising at all that we are at a 2/1 disadvantage on PP's. You can't possibly tell me that there's that much of a discrepancy over an 82 game schedule.

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
Remember when Reilly Smith was a good hockey player? He's been horrible lately and gets rewarded by playing the point on the PP.

Oh Claude.

I remember, and think he still is, he is snake bit right now but he certainly doesn`t float around out there. His speed is an asset and the fact he is having trouble finding the net makes him a typical Bruin. He is very young and with his work ethic he is sure to turn into a fine 2-3 line winger. His work on the point on the PP is also good, I find him better there than Krejci due to his speed. He has a high hockey IQ and as I stated I believe he will be a true benefit to this team going forward. I watch EVERY Bruin game and I have never seen him take a shift off, would I like him to pot one of those empty netters he keeps missing lately, yes, but not sure who I would skate in his place, either on the PP or even strength, please don`t say Spooner, Knight or Koko.

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
i don't understand how some blame Rask for this lost, he's been lights out.
Last 2 shootouts they've scored Zero goals, they've 0% chance in shootouts to win.
Chiarelli has to make 2 trades and I hope he makes them soon, if he thinks this team is ready for a long playoff run he should be fired right away.

I have no idea who blamed Rask but if anyone did they either didn't watch the game or have a few problems. If they are talking shoot outs--he is fine in them, as I said they have no shooters in them and that just isn't bad luck. I cant agree with your last sentence.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I have no idea who blamed Rask but if anyone did they either didn't watch the game or have a few problems. If they are talking shoot outs--he is fine in them, as I said they have no shooters in them and that just isn't bad luck. I cant agree with your last sentence.
I think some people just watch the scoreboard and blame goalies for every loss they get.

kdog82

Oct 6, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
I remember, and think he still is, he is snake bit right now but he certainly doesn`t float around out there. His speed is an asset and the fact he is having trouble finding the net makes him a typical Bruin. He is very young and with his work ethic he is sure to turn into a fine 2-3 line winger. His work on the point on the PP is also good, I find him better there than Krejci due to his speed. He has a high hockey IQ and as I stated I believe he will be a true benefit to this team going forward. I watch EVERY Bruin game and I have never seen him take a shift off, would I like him to pot one of those empty netters he keeps missing lately, yes, but not sure who I would skate in his place, either on the PP or even strength, please don`t say Spooner, Knight or Koko.

Marchand should be out there on the pp instead of Smith.

Paddington

Mar 8, 2011
Toronto
Why are people getting on Rask for the shootouts???? It's not like he routinely gives up 3 goals. It seems like the only way the Bruins can win in a SO is if Rask stops every single shooter because the Bruins aren't exactly lighting it up.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Just had a chance to watch the game, frustrating to watch, D looked lost so many times, not a good game at all. Bruins really really do suck at shootouts its alarming. Smith and Bergy both looked like they knew they weren't gonna score when they lined up to take their shot, Pasta just plain missed.

Poor game, definitely 1 point lost and we did not need that. Tuukka was the best Bruin on the ice by a mile. I feel flat. That goal Avs scored with goalie pulled was just...terrible, as was Iggy's.

Sure the D looked a little lost at times but not sure how you could complain when we were shorthanded so much .I thought the boys competed hard and deserved a better fate.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
I wouldn't consider either goal lucky.

The 1st goal is something that has been an absolute problem for this team, closing out the period. And other teams likely know this. A ton of puck watching by guys in that first one just waiting for time to run out. They got caught, again.

The 2nd goal people saw coming. We actually had a powerplay right before it where we frigged around passing the puck back and forth in the defensive zone doing **** all with it trying to run out the clock on a 2-1 lead. Guys got pinned in our zone, couldn't handle the surge when they pulled their goalie and couldn't clear it.

By the end of the 3rd and OT everyone just looked completely gassed.

Avs fan here. I was at the game. Low turnout although there was a very large contingent of Bruins fans there. Bruins are my fav EC team but geez, they were trying their best to take over the Pepsi Center with their Bruins cheers.

Strangely enough, I was thinking to myself earlier in the first period that a second is a long time in hockey. Then Iginla scores with four-tenths of a second left.

Bruins are a great team with fine fans. But don't be coming to my house and trying to out-cheer the home town crowd.:laugh:

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I see barely anyone blaming Rask for the loss. He was excellent last night.

And despite the fact that some don't consider him a whiz at shootouts most of the blame for our failures seems to on the shooters, which I agree with.

mislysBB

Aug 6, 2013
Northeast
Why are people getting on Rask for the shootouts???? It's not like he routinely gives up 3 goals. It seems like the only way the Bruins can win in a SO is if Rask stops every single shooter because the Bruins aren't exactly lighting it up.

He let in one SO goal...which apparently shouldn't happen according to some. That isn't bad at all, and it would have been great if our shooters could have at least potted one, but nope.
Oh well. I'd love to have ties back.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Yeah, he was taking a rest, not getting knocked over after playing 50 minutes in 24 hours.

Desperate Colorado took advantage of a tiring Bruins team in the final minutes. Good for them - that's what they should have done.

And the PK filled second period with 2 5 on 3s pretty much brought on the obvious fatigue we saw in the third. The team had no legs and their decisions were poor. They looked awful in the OT (pretty sure we had no sog in the OT).

Chara was beat but so was everyone else.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
He let in one SO goal...which apparently shouldn't happen according to some. That isn't bad at all, and it would have been great if our shooters could have at least potted one, but nope.
Oh well. I'd love to have ties back.

The way our guys are currently shooting, if tuukka stopped every puck we would end up breaking the record for shootout rounds because our guys can't shoot.

Shutouts in games and shootouts would be nice hut no team should rely on their goalie stopping everything.

Team needs to score goals and if Chia thinks what we have now is enough he needs to stop smoking whatever he's smoking.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
How many times have we seen Bergeron be the last shooter in a Shootout loss. It is getting predicable and annoying. Krug was on fire tonight, why not go with the hot hand?

Good point. I also think Krug would've been a better option in the shootout last night.

It was good to see Pasta in the shoot-out. Although he never scored, he looked dangerous.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
Yeah, he was taking a rest, not getting knocked over after playing 50 minutes in 24 hours.

Desperate Colorado took advantage of a tiring Bruins team in the final minutes. Good for them - that's what they should have done.

That's the whole point about Chara that his cheerleaders fail to admit. Come playoffs, Chara has been, and will likely continue to be gassed to the point of diminished utility.

Particularly this year, unlike last perhaps, we'll likely need him down the stretch to help us win games just to get us into a playoffs during which he will, again, be too gassed to really help to the level of a #1 Dman and that, and our relatively offensively challenged lineup will again lead to an early exit.

This team really can't expect to go all the way, given all our issues, with Chara and his salary remaining on our books during the full term of his existing contract.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
That's the whole point about Chara that his cheerleaders fail to admit. Come playoffs, Chara has been, and will likely continue to be gassed to the point of diminished utility.

Particularly this year, unlike last perhaps, we'll likely need him down the stretch to help us win games just to get us into a playoffs during which he will, again, be too gassed to really help to the level of a #1 Dman and that, and our relatively offensively challenged lineup will again lead to an early exit.

This team really can't expect to go all the way, given all our issues, with Chara and his salary remaining on our books during the full term of his existing contract.

As TLC pointed out, the whole team was gassed, given killing all those penalities on the second night of a 2-in-2. Also, that line was pinned for more than a minute. Chara was knocked down in the crease, so he was the most noticeable, just as a goalie is so often blamed for goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad