Post-Game Talk: GAME 47 - Whalercanes 3 BRUINS 2

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
TNT seemed to enjoy rubbing it in the Bruins faces with non stop cameras on the Canes moms, especially when they scored, they even had one miked it, it was way over the top and to this person very annoying. You know how everyone has complained about the cameras always going on Taylor Swift at the Chiefs game, well this was that on steroids plus.

NESN showed the moms after every goal too.

Reactions: lopey

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Pasta spends a lot of time on his ass. Is it conditioning?
bad ice. The last couple of games it looks worse than usual. Directly across the ice from our seats is worse than the rest. The puck bounces weirdly, and more players fall.

He looked like he tweaked something last night. Something was hurting him. I hope it is a nothing thing.

the negotiator

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
A couple of observations from being at the game

Bs just didn't show up for the first two periods - it happens...I will take 2 of 3 Wins from the trifecta of Colorado- Winnipeg- Carolina with a Habs butt kicking added in

bigger picture the Canes hard forecheck really sends a playoff recipe to any other team watching ....the number mis-plays by both forwards as well as D when under pressure was appalling. The Canes looked both faster and quicker....there were a number of times when while the Bs player was thinking about what to do a Canes player stepped in and took the puck away.

Marshy continues to amaze and not just because he scored two goals.....just a tenancious player with an over the top will to win....wish some type of transfusion could take place with a player like Lindholm ( whom I like) but seems to only have one gear.

the winning goal was a combination of a bad pinch, poor gap control and a semi- softie by the goalie... it happens but it sure took the wind out of what was a strong grit it out third period ... pretty much gave a point away

on the Ottawa and Philly and then a well- timed All Star break

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
A couple of observations from being at the game

Bs just didn't show up for the first two periods - it happens...I will take 2 of 3 Wins from the trifecta of Colorado- Winnipeg- Carolina with a Habs butt kicking added in

bigger picture the Canes hard forecheck really sends a playoff recipe to any other team watching ....the number mis-plays by both forwards as well as D when under pressure was appalling. The Canes looked both faster and quicker....there were a number of times when while the Bs player was thinking about what to do a Canes player stepped in and took the puck away.

Marshy continues to amaze and not just because he scored two goals.....just a tenancious player with an over the top will to win....wish some type of transfusion could take place with a player like Lindholm ( whom I like) but seems to only have one gear.

the winning goal was a combination of a bad pinch, poor gap control and a semi- softie by the goalie... it happens but it sure took the wind out of what was a strong grit it out third period ... pretty much gave a point away

on the Ottawa and Philly and then a well- timed All Star break

Seems to be a misconception that just any other team can forecheck like Florida and Carolina if they wanted to. Have to have the horses, like anything else.

the negotiator

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Seems to be a misconception that just any other team can forecheck like Florida and Carolina if they wanted to. Have to have the horses, like anything else.
Agree that most teams can't put on such a sustained forecheck

but even those who don't have the same horses will understand that playing a high pressure game increases their chances of winning ....I look at teams like the Islanders and Wings ( should either make the playoffs) as other teams that could mount a pretty effective forecheck

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Agree that most teams can't put on such a sustained forecheck

but even those who don't have the same horses will understand that playing a high pressure game increases their chances of winning ....I look at teams like the Islanders and Wings ( should either make the playoffs) as other teams that could mount a pretty effective forecheck
Leafs beat Tampa last year with an aggressive forcheck,yes Tampa was hurting on defense and goalie wasn’t very good,but they are capable of doing it ,really an aggressive forcheck is really pretty much the norm in the playoffs,yes some teams are better at it ,but pretty much everyone does it.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
This may not be a popular viewpoint but there are items on this team we need to correct in the next 35 games.
I just feel more confident with Swayman in net. If we need to dangle Ullmark on the trade block, I'm fine with that.

As mentioned earlier, I watched the Wings (very fast team) play the Canes a few nights ago. Canes were sending 2 sometimes 3 guys swarming, forechecking. Wings I do believe finished with 14 shots. That's it.

Right now we look pretty and all in first place, if we play the Canes with this line up, we are toast.
Okay, but—honest question—if the Canes' strategy is so good against teams like Boston and Detroit, why aren't they in 1st place? What's their weakness? And in a 7-game series, shouldn't a good coaching staff recognize that and come up with ways to exploit it?

Reactions: Alan Ryan

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Okay, but—honest question—if the Canes' strategy is so good against teams like Boston and Detroit, why aren't they in 1st place? What's their weakness? And in a 7-game series, shouldn't a good coaching staff recognize that and come up with ways to exploit it?
For a peek towards that, consider that they had no even strength goals (despite shoddy Bruins play in the D Zone) until a fluky one with 2 and a half left.

Reactions: HumBucker

ProdigalFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 2, 2011
Mansfield, MA
bad ice. The last couple of games it looks worse than usual. Directly across the ice from our seats is worse than the rest. The puck bounces weirdly, and more players fall.

He looked like he tweaked something last night. Something was hurting him. I hope it is a nothing thing.
Would be a shame if the bad ice caused an injury to your star player Mr. Jacobs.

Reactions: Gordoff and Ladyfan

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
For a peek towards that, consider that they had no even strength goals (despite shoddy Bruins play in the D Zone) until a fluky one with 2 and a half left.
1706209786075.png

Yes they were man down, and you can't lock on a guy. but letting someone stand there and screen your goalie is never a good idea as the first goal showed.

• Wow
Reactions: KWbruin

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
There's teams that play solid regular season hockey and there's teams that are more fitted to play in the playoffs.
When it looked like we were going to draw the Penguins in the first round last year I thought great. But when the Penguins lost against the Blackhawks in the final game of the season we drew the Panthers. Immediately I thought "uh-oh".

For an 8th seed team they were not to be taken lightly. Three centermen who had 30+ goals, a solid goalie(s) and a very tough defence.
They beat us.
Absolutely shut the leafs top line down.

Carolina is built for the playoffs. Tough, physical defence.

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Canes weakness has been goaltending this season. They are tied for last, with Ottawa, in Save %. They had their 5th goalie get a start last night. His first NHL start. We helped them by not putting pucks on net in the first half of the game. Once we started shooting more, lo and behold, we started scoring more.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Would be a shame if the bad ice caused an injury to your star player Mr. Jacobs and the cost is a few million dollars in annual revenue.
^^^^Fixed it for you.
Of course, it won't matter unless the cost of say 2-3 top end players and say $20 million for a few years in revenue were on the line, then and only then will the cost of repairing the ice-plant/bowl equal out for Jacobs. Until then, fans are buying ridiculous swag, paying premium prices for junk food, he's making his money, and all is good!

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I don't mean to disrupt the "Shit on Grizz" conversation, but we scored 2 goals last night, against a goalie making his first NHL start, and conceded 3.

Defense and goaltending wasn't our problem last night.
What was (our problem)? NOT that I'm disagreeing with you btw.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad