HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
1706162047138.png

1706162091092.png

1706162132123.png

1706162173644.png

BOSTON (AP) With no one between him and the goalie, Jordan Martinook picked out a spot and took his shot.

It was off target.

“It went in. That's all that matters,” the Hurricanes forward said after scoring on a breakaway with 2:27 left to snap a third-period tie and give Carolina a 3-2 victory over the Bruins on Wednesday night, snapping Boston's six-game winning streak.

“Just tried to shoot quick. Didn’t really hit the spot I wanted to hit,” Martinook added. “Sometimes you catch a goalie off guard, and I feel like that’s kind of what it did. So, didn’t really hit where I wanted to hit. But it doesn’t matter. It went in.”

Brad Marchand scored twice in the third period to rally Boston from a two-goal deficit and tie the game with 12 minutes to play. The goals gave him 395 for his career, tying Ray Bourque on the Bruins' all-time list.

It was Boston's first loss in almost two weeks and its first in regulation since Jan. 4.

“We’ve played in this building a lot over the last three or four years - in big moments, too,” said Martinook, who lost to Boston in the 2019 Eastern Conference finals and the first round the next year but eliminated the Bruins in the first round in 2022.

“We know that this crowd can juice them up a little bit," he said. "You just focus on your next shift and try and get the momentum back on your side. And I felt like we did that pretty good.”

Spencer Martin, waived by Columbus and claimed by the Hurricanes last week, stopped 25 shots in his first start for Carolina. He had not played since Jan. 2, when he took a 4-1 loss for the Blue Jackets against the Bruins.

"Great for him," Hurricanes coach Rod Brind'Amour said. “He comes into a tough spot - we throw him to the wolves. And he held his own and he gave us a chance to win. Made a couple saves - crucial ones early, and then a couple of late, obviously, too.”

Martin Nečas and Teuvo Teräväinen also scored for the Hurricanes, giving them a 2-0 advantage after two periods.

After the Bruins tied it, Martinook took a feed from Nečas and wristed the puck through Linus Ullmark’s legs.

“They definitely had the momentum,” Nečas said. “It was good to kind of slow the game down a little bit because they were buzzing, and just take it back.”

Boston cut the margin to one when Trent Frederic fought for the puck behind the net and then slid it across the slot to Marchand. The same line delivered eight minutes into the third when Marchand poked the rebound of Charlie Coyle’s shot through Martin’s legs to tie it.

Marchand has 395 goals - all with Boston. Bourque, the Hall of Fame defenseman and five-time Norris Trophy winner, scored 395 of his 410 career goals with the Bruins.

Ullmark made 30 saves for Boston in his second start since missing 10 days with a lower-body injury.

UP NEXT

Hurricanes: Host New Jersey on Thursday night.

Bruins: Visit Ottawa on Thursday night.

Game Summary

Event Summary

Full Play-By-Play

Faceoff Comparison

Faceoff Summary

Time On Ice: BOS

Time On Ice: CAR

Roster Report

Shot Report

Shift Chart

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Thursday, January 25 (Canadian Tire Centre, Ottawa, ON)
- Head Coach Jim Montgomery available to media at approximately 5:40 p.m.
- Game vs. Ottawa Senators, 7 p.m. (TV: NESN | Radio: 98.5)
- Head Coach Jim Montgomery and select players available to media following the game

Friday, January 26 (Ottawa, ON)
- Travel to Philadelphia

Saturday, January 27 (Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia, PA)
- Head Coach Jim Montgomery available to media at approximately 11:10 a.m.
- Game vs. Philadelphia Flyers, 12:30 p.m. (TV: NESN | Radio: 98.5)
- Head Coach Jim Montgomery and select players available to media following the game
- Travel to Boston

Reactions: BMC

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
The game was somewhat reminiscent of the first game against Florida this season, though the B's ultimately won that one. The B's looked overmatched to start, but found their game when their opponent inevitably couldn't keep up their frantic pace.

Like Florida, Carolina is relentless in their puck pursuit. They aren't as physical, but they close gaps incredibly quickly.

The PK is officially an issue, that the returns of Forbort and Carlo didn't instantly fix. But 5-on-5, the B's can deal with Carolina.

Ullmark was mostly good, but I can't believe the late GWG trickled through him, and Spencer Martin, fresh off waivers, out-dueled him.

Then again the hockey gods had it in for the B's, since it was the mom's trip for Carolina. I thought their moms were awesome - Mrs. Skjei read the starting lineup like a champ and Mrs. Martin was glued to.every minute of the game.

Guelph Bruin

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2015
Great battle back in the 3rd to help redeem a real one sided spanking by Carolina in the 1st and 2nd ..a real blueprint on how to beat the B's and we seemed to adjust effort wise eventually ..can't dump and chase if you can't win the battles ...have to match effort and get the puck off your stick via accurate short passes to the support option who's skates should already be really moving through the zone

Tmac37

Apr 1, 2018
Formerly Tmac21
The game was somewhat reminiscent of the first game against Florida this season, though the B's ultimately won that one. The B's looked overmatched to start, but found their game when their opponent inevitably couldn't keep up their frantic pace.

Like Florida, Carolina is relentless in their puck pursuit. They aren't as physical, but they close gaps incredibly quickly.

The PK is officially an issue, that the returns of Forbort and Carlo didn't instantly fix. But 5-on-5, the B's can deal with Carolina.

Ullmark was mostly good, but I can't believe the late GWG trickled through him, and Spencer Martin, fresh off waivers, out-dueled him.

Then again the hockey gods had it in for the B's, since it was the mom's trip for Carolina. I thought their moms were awesome - Mrs. Skjei read the starting lineup like a champ and Mrs. Martin was glued to.every minute of the game.

Martinook fanned on it, he was trying to go high and that's how Ullmark played it.

pgm16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2010
St. John's NL

I love when the Mom's visit for either team

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
The first canes PP goal is all on Debrusk. He skates out very high at the D man who just taps the puck to F and now Debrusk is on the wrong side of the puck.

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
I can’t stand the Canes, always bored when they meet the Bs. They were faster on the puck last night, and our PP just couldn’t get set-up. I hope we don’t meet up in the playoffs.
We need to run a different look on the PP. For a team that wants to kill by simply running around and being over aggressive on the puck, we are far too predictable.

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
Martinook fanned on it, he was trying to go high and that's how Ullmark played it.
He admitted all this in his post game interview on TNT. He saw room on the high side and it went five hole.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Really hope they move Ullmark at the TD. They could used some more depth up front and this is Sways net now.
I think it's a bit too late now, his value is going to be coming down a bit, and given that they didn't make a move in the offseason I'm guessing the offers weren't great...ride it out and move him in the offseason, he'll be more valuable to us than what he'll get at the deadline IMO

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
I think it's a bit too late now, his value is going to be coming down a but, and given that they didn't make a move in the offseason I'm guessing the offers weren't great...ride it out and move him in the offseason, he'll be more valuable to us than what he'll get at the deadline IMO
Maybe, but imagine the oil with a real goalie. They might be willing to make a significant move. Any other teams that don’t have a true #1?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad