Post-Game Talk: Game # 47 - Rangers vs Flyers - 7pm - MSG

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
the team quit after the islanders game

It must be discouraging winning 5 in a row and gaining nothing, especially for such a young team.

well guys we weren't going to win the cup, we must take solace in the fact that we are better than 3 current playoff teams, we have a ridiculous amount of money coming off the books in a time where cap space is more important than ever. We have some young guns who took big steps forward this year, and we still have a stupid amount of D prospects. Things look very bright for the future.

let the kids play meaningful roles to end the season. Call up Barron to get some games, Let Reunanen get some games, let kinkaid start a few if we need to qualify him for the expansion draft. Its time to position ourselves for the offseason.

Im glad we stood pat at the deadline

Last edited:

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
If the coach, whomever that is, thinks they deserve it, they will.
I guess none of them deserved it last night sitting on the bench the entire final stretch with the goalie pulled. Guys like kreider deserve it more right Now I guess
It’s pretty sad we think this low of these high picks

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Blackwell has been a nice find but he's having a career year and he's a borderline AHL/NHLer.

He has brought energy to his role and has had some luck but the guy just doesn't really deserve to be in a top 9 long term.

His position there speaks to our lack of developed depth among forwards.

rangerlp

May 24, 2012
Maybe this is for the better? We're not winning a cup this year so let them focus on the younger players moving forward and getting a halfway decent draft pick.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I guess none of them deserved it last night sitting on the bench the entire final stretch with the goalie pulled. Guys like kreider deserve it more right Now I guess
It’s pretty sad we think this low of these high picks

I guess not.

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly
Well, that was a shit game that could have easily gone the other way. We looked great in the first and early part of the second, and then the string of penalties derailed us.

Look at all the Grade A chances that wouldn't go in:
Chytil
Buchnevich
Panarin
Blackwell (2x)
Zibanejad
Howden

This had the makings of a blowout early on, but it all fell apart and we couldn't build a cushion.

The Zibanejad and Chytil lines looked much better with the LW swap. Lafreniere and Chytil had strong 1st periods, but then couldn't find much ice with all the penalties.

Jones looked like I would think a young defensemen would look in his first NHL game. Maybe now some of the jitters are gone. Remember that Miller was terrible in his first game and quickly turned it around. I wouldn't say Jones's first game was as bad as Miller's, but Jones also didn't get a lot of ice time due to the constant penalties.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Well, that was a shit game that could have easily gone the other way. We looked great in the first and early part of the second, and then the string of penalties derailed us.

Look at all the Grade A chances that wouldn't go in:
Chytil
Buchnevich
Panarin
Blackwell (2x)
Zibanejad
Howden

Don't forget Kakko hit the post.

RagFinMet

Jan 5, 2019
Time to see what the kids can do

Laf zib gauth
Pan chy kak
Krav stro buch
Kreid bar ron

Lind fox
Miller hajek
Jones Tarmo

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
Quinn's love affair with Blackwell is reminiscent of AV's love affair with Tanner Glass. Blackwell scored some goals against bottom-feeders and earned himself a spot in the top6 indefinitely despite some good play from the young guys that should see better rewards. And reminiscent of the AV-Glass scenario, Gorton is going to have to take away Quinn's toy and force him to move up the actual future core of the team to put them in positions to see what they can do.

It's great that Blackwell is pumping up his value and had some good games, but that's where that sentiment should stop.

Reactions: CLW and bl02

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Time to give the kids run. No reason to keep pushing the vets as much right now. Fox and Lindgren should take regular shifts, nothing more, nothing less. Let Jones, Miller, and Hajek play. Call up Reunanen and have all of them out there until Trouba comes back. Smith doesn't need to play, we know what he is. When Trouba is back, sit Hajek.

Barron should be called up too and replacing Howden in the lineup (and play some PK). Gauthier should replace Blackwell. I don't mind keeping Rooney in since he is a center, kills penalties, and can actually play a little bit. If they want to try Barron at center, just play Rooney on the wing as support for him.

I would also rotate Georgiev and Shesterkin a little more. No need to just keep pushing Shesty out there. We know he is the #1. Let Georgiev play and maybe show off for teams in the offseason looking to trade for a goalie.

Let Chytil get some PK time. We need to begin finding out if that is something he can do. Maybe even try Kakko in that role. Same goes for the PP. Get Lafreniere on PP1 for Strome. Chytil onto PP2 with Kravtsov, Kakko, Jones (Strome can be the righty on that unit). These games could provide some valuable experience for these guys going into next season.

These should be the lines as soon as the Buffalo game (with the back to back, I'd hope they can get a practice or morning skate in with the new lines):

Lafreniere-Zibanejad-Buchnevich
Panarin-Chytil-Kravtsov
Kreider-Strome-Kakko
Barron-Rooney-Gauthier

Lindgren-Fox
Miller-Jones
Hajek-Reunanen

Reactions: AKrangerfan

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
This whole board looked at the lineup before the game, saw we had one pair and somehow was like "yeah, we're gonna dominate here and the only way we lose is if we don't try hard"
Agreed. Regardless on how TRUE it is for the cliché of "next man up", and we all have to up our game a little......I strongly believe at some point there IS A BREAKING POINT, in regard to having too many rookies/semi-rookies on the ice over the course of a game.

Trouba being OUT and subplanting yet another rookie, well I guess you just couldn't ask for a whole lot more on the defensive side. Trouba tilted the scale. Smith did what he could, and Fox & Lindgren seem like they've played way too many excruciating minutes over the course of this shortened season.

The onus of this loss has "got to be" planted right on the sticks of the forwards. Seemed obvious they were looking to get 8 or 9 of those "cookies" as Vally so eloquently alluded to. (He was referring to the Flyers, but even still.....the shoe fits.

They got what they deserve, and even though I expected as much, I am relatively pissed that not enough of our vets came to play. Seemingly following Kreider's lead.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Quinn's love affair with Blackwell is reminiscent of AV's love affair with Tanner Glass. Blackwell scored some goals against bottom-feeders and earned himself a spot in the top6 indefinitely despite some good play from the young guys that should see better rewards. And reminiscent of the AV-Glass scenario, Gorton is going to have to take away Quinn's toy and force him to move up the actual future core of the team to put them in positions to see what they can do.

It's great that Blackwell is pumping up his value and had some good games, but that's where that sentiment should stop.

By "love affair with Blackwell" you mean "affinity for playing a good player?" Just because Blackwell is having his first good year at age 28 doesn't mean he's irrelevant. He can easily be a solid player for this team for the next few years. His metrics were very good before the Rangers signed him and they have continued that way. He has 7 more points this year than Glass had in his entire Rangers career. I have no problem at all with him in the top six this year - or next year if the line continues to work. We have already seen Laf/Kakko get plenty of ice time on the top two lines with minimal production. Give them the offseason and training camp next year to work out, get stronger, and improve and then we'll see if they look ready to take on a bigger role.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I just think all he has to do is point to a winning record during a rebuild on top of the prospects generally developing. I also think a lot hinges on what the players say in the yearly exit interviews. But if they like him there’s really not much grounds for a change. Again, maybe if things don’t keep progressing next season- sure. Then I’m probably onboard too. But for now I see no clear reason to rock the boat.

Next year might be the end for Quinn if the team doesn’t get off to a good start. The rebuild is still ongoing but the excuses for being a non- playoff team end next year at least for me. In another division this year we would be a playoff team but still next year not being a playoff team will be unacceptable and we don’t want to become one of those perennial regular season and done teams.

As far as what the players think of Quinn—my impression right from the beginning is they like him. The Boston contingent on the team many of whom Quinn tried to recruit and his links to USNTDP and USWJC teams many of those players glowed about his hire—even if the likes of Kreider and Hayes ended up at rival BC and he certainly gives leeway for Panarin, Zibanejad and Fox to do their things. It’s the fans more concerned about the failures, the sometimes slow starts and how the youth of the team is served. There is a heirarchy of sorts in place though and for players like Lafreniere and Kakko fitting in with the rest of the team is probably as important to them now as whatever numbers they put up which should go up as they become leaders in the future.

Reactions: egelband

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
The organization is going to be left with the same question marks again going into next season: What do we have in our young core of Kakko, Laf, and Kravtsov? All still trying to find their games at the NHL level. At what point do we say ok we’ve been patient enough, we need results.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The organization is going to be left with the same question marks again going into next season: What do we have in our young core of Kakko, Laf, and Kravtsov? All still trying to find their games at the NHL level. At what point do we say ok we’ve been patient enough, we need results.
When we're not deploying them as 3rd and 4th liners for large chunks of the season.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
I liked what I saw from Jones. Had confidence moving the puck. Didn’t think he was too small but obviously needs to fill out. Fox is 2.5 years older and Jones should be the same size by then. These two are maybe a little shorter than Leetch & Zubov who flourished in a much nastier time in the league.

Whether he stays or is moved in the next year or two, I want to see how he does in these last 9 games this year.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
By "love affair with Blackwell" you mean "affinity for playing a good player?" Just because Blackwell is having his first good year at age 28 doesn't mean he's irrelevant. He can easily be a solid player for this team for the next few years. His metrics were very good before the Rangers signed him and they have continued that way. He has 7 more points this year than Glass had in his entire Rangers career. I have no problem at all with him in the top six this year - or next year if the line continues to work. We have already seen Laf/Kakko get plenty of ice time on the top two lines with minimal production. Give them the offseason and training camp next year to work out, get stronger, and improve and then we'll see if they look ready to take on a bigger role.

Right, because winning games right now is ultra important and we need to ride the hot hand of stand-out top liner Colin Blackwell to ensure we make the playoffs. :laugh:

Like I said it's great he's played half decent and had a handful of good games, but that's where the sentiment stops for me. I would be selling as high as possible on a season like his. The one silver lining is that he's on a league minimum contract.

Blackwell has been a fixture in the top 6: ~1/3rd of his ice time is with Strome and Panarin (160/515 minutes played), a distant 2nd with Strome and Kreider (47/515), then with the players he should be playing with in PDG and Rooney he has a whopping 37 minutes. If the ice time/linemates ever gets swapped then I'm fine with him remaining on the team, but going out of your way to have Blackwell play with Panarin & Co. is just ridiculous when we have the players we have, laying in wait.

Lafreniere has played 638 minutes total. 130 have been with Chytil and Kakko, 100 with Zib and Buch, then a bunch of bullshit 20 minute combos with the other top line guys like Strome and Panarin. He's played more with PDG and Howden than he has with Zib and Panarin (24 minutes vs. 11 minutes). The PDG-Howden-Laf combo has just 4 less minutes than Laf does with Strome and Panarin (24 minutes vs. 28 minutes). Why? Because something about production in those 20 someodd minutes, let's just abandon that all together.

Kravtsov's most common linemates so far are Howden and Rooney by a mile. There's nothing else to say about that.

Chytil's most common linemates are Kakko and Laf. After that..Gauthier and PDG who haven't played since 1972, and Rooney.

Kakko is about the only guy who actually plays with the top line guys.

Reactions: Off Sides

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG

Easy.

Next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad