Post-Game Talk: Game # 47 - Rangers vs Flyers - 7pm - MSG

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I mean, that’s a huge jump. A lot would have to go right in order for that to happen.

Im expecting Lafreniere, Kakko and Kravtsov to be top 6 grade players. All three of them look like they are about to breakout, and Lundkvist/Schneider/ Jones/ Reunanen to be better than Hajek and Smith. Barron should displace someone as well, probably Rooney.

Reactions: Cag29

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
Maybe since I watch each game with Rangers colored glasses I don't see it, but there have been at least 5-6 games this season where the other team's goalie has stolen the game. I can't think of a time where Igor or Georgiev stole a game this year.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Of course it is, but a good coach helps a young player along their development path

Okay, maybe he plays a role, but Rangers management appears to be happy with Quinn in that department.

Certainly the yound Dmen have improved. Chytil looked much improved before he got hurt, and he's starting to look good, again.

Kakko has improved tremendously in his second season. Kravtsov looks good right out of the gate. I'm betting Laf improves tremendously in season 2.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
We’re a top 5-10 team NOW. That’s why fans are angry. We shouldn’t be this low in the standings, but because of stupidity from Quinn and the FO, we’re missing the playoffs again in a crucial year. I don’t know if that’s better or worse than just being a bad team.

I think you're ahead of yourself, its been a weird year, Lafreniere if he wasn't a 1st overall in a covid year should have went to Hartford early on, Kakko looks better but hasn't found his scoring touch, and Kravtsov just arrived. Add a post covid Zibanejad, a Putin'ed Panarin, Trouba being out earlier in the season, Chytil inured and getting covid, Shesterkin injury and i don't even know how we are this close. We've been on a pretty good run since being healthy outside of the last couple games. Lafrieniere and Kravtsov are showing how good they are now but the Trouba injury is a death blow to a defense that doesn't have the depth to replace his minutes. You lose Fox or Trouba on this team and it goes sideways quickly.

Reactions: Buchnevich89

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Okay, maybe he plays a role, but Rangers management appears to be happy with Quinn in that department.

Certainly the yound Dmen have improved. Chytil looked much improved before he got hurt, and he's starting to look good, again.

Kakko has improved tremendously in his second season. Kravtsov looks good right out of the gate. I'm betting Laf improves tremendously in season 2.

Laf looks like a different player now from the start of the season.

Reactions: Cag29

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Lol no he literally doesn’t. At least not anymore.

How many times has he had the puck near the goalie and either not gotten off a good shot or knocked it well wide? If he had displayed the touch we all expected, he might have another 10 goals. He's much improved in a lot of ways, but he doesn't look like a finisher, yet. Maybe next season.

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
Btw after all the bickering in here and complaining, does anyone here think we arent a really strong team next year? I wouldn't be surprised if we were top 5 in the league.
Honestly, I'm expecting to be top 5-10. Now that Igor is settled in and theoretically most of the kids will improve we should be MUCH improved in the record department. Plus we'll be playing all NHL teams.

If this team didn't have a carousel and inconsistent goal tending, we are in the playoffs. We didn't bottom out during any injuries, including Shesty. Yes we have been inconsistent and haven't been consistent when leading, but the lost season is all on our early goaltending issues.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
And that’s why I don’t trust our management.

As it stands, I’m not concerned with the big 3. I think they will become elite eventually. It will just take a lot longer than it should because we have no clue how to develop skilled forwards. So the development will happen, but without any help from the coach imo.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I honestly cannot

But the Rangers teams before this one didn’t collapse this much after injuries. Maybe it’s just because we’re so young.

I don't know how to prove or disprove what you're saying, but no matter which team board you go to, the complaints are pretty similar to the complaints here.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
How many times has he had the puck near the goalie and either not gotten off a good shot or knocked it well wide? If he had displayed the touch we all expected, he might have another 10 goals. He's much improved in a lot of ways, but he doesn't look like a finisher, yet. Maybe next season.
I think the issue is his terrible shot. Not mishandling the puck.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
And that’s why I don’t trust our management.

As it stands, I’m not concerned with the big 3. I think they will become elite eventually. It will just take a lot longer than it should because we have no clue how to develop skilled forwards. So the development will happen, but without any help from the coach imo.

When I see statements like that, I'm not sure what they're based upon in regards to the relationship between the coach and young player development.

There is no way to quantify the coach's impact on development.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
When I see statements like that, I'm not sure what they're based upon in regards to the relationship between the coach and young player development.

There is no way to quantify the coach's impact on development.
I mean technically there’s no way to quantify it, sure, but you can see it on the ice. I’m the last person to support giving unearned ice time to young players, but the issue is not only that they earned it, but that the vets are dogshit too. Also I’m fine with giving a little bit of a longer leash to 1OA and 2OA picks.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I mean technically there’s no way to quantify it, sure, but you can see it on the ice. I’m the last person to support giving unearned ice time to young players, but the issue is not only that they earned it, but that the vets are dogshit too. Also I’m fine with giving a little bit of a longer leash to 1OA and 2OA picks.

I understand your point of view and my normal views on these things is pessimistic. For whatever reason, I'm very optimistic about where this team is headed. I don't think I've ever been this hopeful about the future of the team and I've been watching a long time.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Maybe. Sometimes he seems to rush it like the game hasn't slowed down for him, yet.
He rushes it for sure but that’s because he’s not used to taking shots. Imo players who ARE used to taking shots know how much time and space they have to take the shot, and thus know when to slow it down and when to rush it.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
I understand your point of view and my normal views on these things is pessimistic. For whatever reason, I'm very optimistic about where this team is headed. I don't think I've ever been this hopeful about the future of the team and I've been watching a long time.
Yea same. Tonight will go a long way towards convincing me if Quinn is indeed the right coach for this rebuild. If there’s ever a time to play the kids, it’s NOW when they’re playing well and because our season is basically over.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
He rushes it for sure but that’s because he’s not used to taking shots. Imo players who ARE used to taking shots know how much time and space they have to take the shot, and thus know when to slow it down and when to rush it.

I'm not sure why he seems a bit off of what I expected, but he does seem to have a bit of panic when finishing. The rest of his game has improved tremendously from season 1. |

If he improves that much next season, the Rangers might be on the way to a Colorado-like team, except Colorado's defensemen are pretty awesome, just like TB and Carolina.

Guess it depends on what the incoming young Dmen bring. I really like Jones. Lundqvist has to be really good, Schneider and Robertson might be good, too. I know I forgot someone.

KevinFinnerty

I bomb atomically...
Mar 7, 2020
St.Augustine
Ewwwwwwwwwwww
You’d rather make the playoffs and get massacred by TBL, NYI, PIT,? And then what? What confidence does that conjure up in our kids? Let them rest and reset with a better quality coach and let’s get a blue chip Center in the pipeline so we don’t have to trade one of our stud defenseman prospects.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Yea same. Tonight will go a long way towards convincing me if Quinn is indeed the right coach for this rebuild. If there’s ever a time to play the kids, it’s NOW when they’re playing well and because our season is basically over.

I never like the idea of pointing at a single game and coming to a big conclusion from it. To me, it's all about the early part of next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->