Post-Game Talk: Game # 47 - Rangers vs Flyers - 7pm - MSG

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Like 4th year Chytil getting 11 minutes in his 177th NHL game? So Laf with 56 and Kakko with 115 next year will only be 70-100 games away from being trustworthy-ish?

Laf, for certain, will get top-6 minutes next season. Kakko probably will. Chytil, who knows?

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Why would he? Next year Kakko will get the Chytil treatment of today. Laf will be the new Kakko. That's Quinn's brilliant game plan. Or maybe it is wrong, and he actually adjusts it for next year, but then that means THIS year was a WASTE.

This season turned out like everyone assumed it would. The Rangers falling short. Now, that it happens, some are outraged.

Reactions: TominNC

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Well, You might be right. But I think it’s very tough to be so sure. If you’re worried about wasting the older player’s prime years, that’s more of a FO issue, in my opinion.
Anyhow, I don’t think this team is in a markedly different spot with another coach. And just as likely, the results are worse.
I guess that’s my main dispute with all the people calling for Quinn’s head. It’s on the players. And if you look at everything, we’re about where I expected we’d be. Not where I had hoped we’d be, but I think we’re basically around fifth in this division and I expect better next year.

It's ALWAYS about the players.

Reactions: egelband

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I just think all he has to do is point to a winning record during a rebuild on top of the prospects generally developing. I also think a lot hinges on what the players say in the yearly exit interviews. But if they like him there’s really not much grounds for a change. Again, maybe if things don’t keep progressing next season- sure. Then I’m probably onboard too. But for now I see no clear reason to rock the boat.

If the best players are happy with Quinn, he's back. If they aren't, he's probably gone. I'm betting he's back.

Reactions: egelband

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Yea if there’s any significant development from our young players, it’s not because of Gorton/Quinn. It’s because the players are either working extra hard on their own (which they should) or developing in another league (NCAA, AHL, KHL, etc.). Once they reach “impact player” level, then and only then does Quinn choose to consistently play them more.

All player development is on the player.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Fox is 70th in the league in even strength TOI/G and 61st in PK TOI/G. Get serious.
It's cute when you separate the times like that, but he plays over 24 minutes a game which makes him 12th in ATOI per game and he's only in his second season. Everyone else in the group are pretty much well established veterans used to that load. So yeah, he looks tired to me.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I wouldn’t count on it. If the Seat isn’t already hot this offseason it will be hotter next year. And with the influx of more rookies on 3rd pair and other parts of the line up I’d expect a heavy dose of more of the same. People scoff when I say Quinn doesn’t have control of the room, but at least in some players eyes young and old he has a problem motivating them and getting them prepared to play. It’s pretty obvious. The bigger the games the bigger the popcorn fart effort is. Plain as daylight

even in the devils series it was apparent. We took 4 of 4 which is no easy task so it won’t get talked about. You take the W and move on, but let’s not pretend in more then 1 game things could have went the other way. The effort and preparation was poor as well but superior talent playing against an AHL team plus 5-6 up and coming kids is the only reason for the victories. It’s not like they won all 4 games easily like Boston is going to do to Buffalo most likely. I get we are young and there is a learning curve but I have been citing poor effort and preparation the entire season. I’m told it’s growing pains. Effort is not a growing pain. You can lose with effort and still be proud.

I'm still scoffing that Quinn has lost control of the room.

You've never been in the room.

No one you know has been in the room.

There has never been even an inkling from the press that he's lost the room.

But somehow you can tell he's lost the room.

I've seen this team lose, but not quit.

Have you ever seen a team really quit on a coach? If you had, you'd realize that this isn't what it looks like.

No matter who the coach is next season, barring bad injuries, they're a much better team, just from the improvement on D and the kids amping up their respective games, especially Laf.

Reactions: TominNC

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
It's cute when you separate the times like that, but he plays over 24 minutes a game which makes him 12th in ATOI per game and he's only in his second season. Everyone else in the group are pretty much well established veterans used to that load. So yeah, he looks tired to me.

He doesn't look gassed to me. Not even close to gassed. He's a top 10 defenseman getting top 10 minutes.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
This season turned out like everyone assumed it would. The Rangers falling short. Now, that it happens, some are outraged.
The net result of the season looks pretty much how I thought it would. The underlying numbers and individual performances do not.

I expected to see our top draft picks start to take some of the heavy load off of our top veteran forwards. I assumed that this would mean a bit of stagnation record wise, as the kids mistakes in larger roles would lead to goals against and sole losses. What I saw instead was the kids continuing to be sheltered (I don’t know what else to call it), and the vets being ridden into the ground to produce basically the same results as last year.

What does this mean? I don’t know. No one does. But it seems to me like the rebuild is a year behind where I thought it was. Maybe next year we start to see the kids playing significant minutes and risk missing the playoffs again as they go thru their growing pains. I wanted that to happen this year but what do I know?

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
The net result of the season looks pretty much how I thought it would. The underlying numbers and individual performances do not.

I expected to see our top draft picks start to take some of the heavy load off of our top veteran forwards. I assumed that this would mean a bit of stagnation record wise, as the kids mistakes in larger roles would lead to goals against and sole losses. What I saw instead was the kids continuing to be sheltered (I don’t know what else to call it), and the vets being ridden into the ground to produce basically the same results as last year.

What does this mean? I don’t know. No one does. But it seems to me like the rebuild is a year behind where I thought it was. Maybe next year we start to see the kids playing significant minutes and risk missing the playoffs again as they go thru their growing pains. I wanted that to happen this year but what do I know?

This is the growing pains season. Next season is the onset of ascending the standings, at least that's how I see it.

LetsGoRangers2021

Jan 25, 2021
Why would he? Next year Kakko will get the Chytil treatment of today. Laf will be the new Kakko. That's Quinn's brilliant game plan. Or maybe it is wrong, and he actually adjusts it for next year, but then that means THIS year was a WASTE.
It’s called development. Great to see how you notice the progression. Kinda works in all scenarios with all jobs.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Yet Chytil got all of 11:10 of icetime, Kravtsov 10:13, Kakko 11:40. No kids after they pulled the goalie.
Yep What a joke! And not expecting much different next year. Keep riding blackwell kreider and Strome over the Laf Kravtsov etc. will Kakko or Laf or Kravtsov ever see pp1 time?

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I think i speak for most when i say the forward lines should be

Laf zib buch
Panarin Strome Kravtsov
Kreider chytil kakko
Howden Rooney blackwell

Its pretty simple to see and for me its even more important in games like this one and the last to have a bigger player than Blackwell on that right side. I think at this point we have to give the meaningful minutes to the meaningful players in these meaningful games, in 1 or 2 years time Blackwell will be somewhere else and we arent making the playoffs after the last two losses. Ill go one further and say Barron and Reunanen should be with the club too, Rooney has no long term future here and we can swap Hajek and Reunanen for the rest of the year.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
This is the growing pains season. Next season is the onset of ascending the standings, at least that's how I see it.
Yeah, that’s what I thought coming into the year, but with the way the kids were deployed this year, I feel like we kicked the growing pains down the road. That’s been my main issue with Quinn. If this was the growing pains season, the extreme over reliance on the vets doesn’t compute.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Yeah, that’s what I thought coming into the year, but with the way the kids were deployed this year, I feel like we kicked the growing pains down the road. That’s been my main issue with Quinn. If this was the growing pains season, the extreme over reliance on the vets doesn’t compute.

I really didn't have a problem with the kids ice time earlier because i didn't think Laf looked ready and Kravtsov was new but they are ready now, there's no reason to shelter them anymore.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG

Guess we'll find out next season.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Yep What a joke! And not expecting much different next year. Keep riding blackwell kreider and Strome over the Laf Kravtsov etc. will Kakko or Laf or Kravtsov ever see pp1 time?

If the coach, whomever that is, thinks they deserve it, they will.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad