GDT: Game 47 -- Columbus Blue Jackets vs le Club de Hockey Canadien -- 1/18/19 -- 7 PM @ Nationwide Arena

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
With Dubinsky back, if Sedlak and Nash play, and Duclair gets scratched.....I'm going to be pissed.

Don't care who's in net, because whoever doesn't start tonight is likely in net tomorrow at the Excel Center.

early indications/rumblings seem to indicate that Duclair is going to be a healthy scratch.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
With Dubinsky back, if Sedlak and Nash play, and Duclair gets scratched.....I'm going to be pissed.

Don't care who's in net, because whoever doesn't start tonight is likely in net tomorrow at the Excel Center.
Makes sense. Starting Nash, Dubi and Sedlak on a single line gives the team a chance to flaunt our center depth. :laugh: :laugh:

Reactions: Halfboard

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Battle of the $10 million goalies. Both yanked in period 2 after giving up 5 each.

CBJ 7
MTL 6 (SO)

Nash and Wennberg 4 points each. If I keep predicting it, it must happen at some point. Or not.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
not to be the bearer of bad news, but....

Honestly, I almost approve of this. Not so much due to the Duclair scratch as it is Duclair not being on the same line as Wennberg, which is something some of us have been wanting to see for a while.

Of course, I'd much rather see Duclair on a different line rather than none at all, but you take what you can get.

aRussian

Oct 21, 2007
Ohio
Convinced my girlfriend to attend; only took forever so please play well! Need to recruit her into fandom tonight.

If they play anything like last game (minus the PP) we should be good. Hopefully our upswing in play the last couple games continues

Reactions: Palm Tree

CBJ VGK

May 19, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
I honestly don't have a problem with Sedlak playing. And Bjorkstrand's play has actually been very good lately, so kudos to him.

But I just don't understand, for the love of God, why Nash is even sniffing the lineup. Scratching a player that has a GOAL every FOUR games, in favor or a player that has a freaking lousy POINT every NINE games. It's absolutely ridiculous. 40 shots for Nash = 1 goal. 70 shots for Duclair = 10 goals.

Duclair can skate better than Nash (with or without the puck), pass better than Nash and is no more of a defensive liability than Nash.

Somebody please explain to me how the Columbus Blue Jackets are a better club with Riley Nash on the ice and Duclair in the press box?? WTF is happening off the ice to justify this? Is Duclair eating donuts, playing Nintendo and flipping Torts the bird while Nash is working hard on the ice and in the gym?

Reactions: JohnnyJacket13

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Honestly believe Wennberg should be scratched. We have plenty of guys to cover for him defensively and Duclair himself makes up for his "playmaking" while also being a danger to score for about 50% of the game.

Glad to see Korpisalo is playing.

1 goal against and 30 shots, we should see him again tomorrow.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Duclair can skate better than Nash (with or without the puck), pass better than Nash and is no more of a defensive liability than Nash.

Somebody please explain to me how the Columbus Blue Jackets are a better club with Riley Nash on the ice and Duclair in the press box?? WTF is happening off the ice to justify this?

A GM is trying to justify a very poor signing. Gotta get him going-type stuff. I think that's the entire story.

I think that Nash is trying as hard as he can. He's probably frustrated beyond belief. But he's just not very good.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Honestly believe Wennberg should be scratched. We have plenty of guys to cover for him defensively and Duclair himself makes up for his "playmaking" while also being a danger to score for about 50% of the game.

Glad to see Korpisalo is playing.

1 goal against and 30 shots, we should see him again tomorrow.

There's probably not a stat to be had which justifies Wennberg's continued presence in the lineup. 4 assists in last 20 games averaging 16+ minutes.

1 goal in his last 53 games. Dubinsky has 5 in his last 33 without any PP time and probably less than 2/3rds TOI/game. Non time on ice, Dubinsky is scoring goals at 8 times the rate Wennberg is over these two stretches. Converting it to TOI it's over 10 to 1.

Dubinsky is a Rocket Richard goal scorer relative to Wennberg.

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
Battle of the $10 million goalies. Both yanked in period 2 after giving up 5 each.

CBJ 7
MTL 6 (SO)

Nash and Wennberg 4 points each. If I keep predicting it, it must happen at some point. Or not.

Handshake before the game.. Price "shining" to Bob: #hahaha only one of us has managed to get "Price money" and it wasnt you hahaha#

:D

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Handshake before the game.. Price "shining" to Bob: #hahaha only one of us has managed to get "Price money" and it wasnt you hahaha#

:D

Price might be so kind as to offer Bob a loan at a friendly rate:naughty:

I still think Bob gets a big contract. Too many teams need top goaltending and this season can be viewed as a toss out for a variety of reasons.

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
Price might be so kind as to offer Bob a loan at a friendly rate:naughty:

I still think Bob gets a big contract. Too many teams need top goaltending and this season can be viewed as a toss out for a variety of reasons.

Well heres the thing: I realise its unortodox and goes against many regrettable values of todays society but Bob's and some other's desire to get the ask price or as much money as is quite sad on many levels.
Money is just a part of life and one doesn't need lots of it to feel happy.
Earning $100 million during one's career is insane and is far beyond anyone's needs. But being a dick and not being loyal to anyone and threatening to go back to the KHL just to make not 100m but lets say 110 million is to me personally quite sad.

Reactions: The Bread Man

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Somebody please explain to me how the Columbus Blue Jackets are a better club with Riley Nash on the ice and Duclair in the press box?? WTF is happening off the ice to justify this? Is Duclair eating donuts, playing Nintendo and flipping Torts the bird while Nash is working hard on the ice and in the gym?

Probably because they measure his performance by things that aren't goals and assists. A player can have value to a particular lineup without scoring.

I'm not a huge Nash fan, but I thought he looked pretty good Tuesday.

Much as I like Duclair, it is not Duclair vs. Nash or <insert whipping boy here> - it's Duclair vs the top 9 W. He has to beat someone out there if he wants to play. I would imagine the coaches could easily substitute him in for someone like Sedlak, but I think they've determined that they'd rather sit Duclair than put him in a 4th line role that doesn't really suit his skills. That said, they're doing that to Bjork tonight, so what the hell do I know?

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Well heres the thing: I realise its unortodox and goes against many regrettable values of todays society but Bob's and some other's desire to get the ask price or as much money as is quite sad on many levels.
Money is just a part of life and one doesn't need lots of it to feel happy.
Earning $100 million during one's career is insane and is far beyond anyone's needs. But being a dick and not being loyal to anyone and threatening to go back to the KHL just to make not 100m but lets say 110 million is to me personally quite sad.

One of the most absurd quotes attributed to athletes regarding contracts is "I've got to take care of my family". I'm not saying Bob has said that-he probably hasn't. But the notion that Bob (or anyone else who has roughly $45 million in career earnings at age 30) needs to absolutely maximize future earnings, is pretty lame.

Guys like Calvert and Riley Nash seeking absolute top buck makes a lot more sense.

Reactions: Facifer

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Probably because they measure his performance by things that aren't goals and assists. A player can have value to a particular lineup without scoring.

I'll grant this. But could you show any statistical measure where Riley Nash is adding value to the CBJ?

He's on ice even strength at a significantly smaller rate for goals against than Dubinsky, but Dubinsky's rate is pathetically bad. So, in comparison with Dubinsky one could say he's the lesser of 2 evils, but from a positive statistical standpoint, I see very little to recommend Riley Nash on the ice vs. the being in the press box.

Last edited:

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Bet

Better yet , why the F does Wennberg continue to not be held accountable . Duclair looks at Torts wrong and scratched for 5 games
There has got to be a large Jarmo influence on this.

Torts is a pretty straight shooter and Wennberg seems to get a much lower dose of Tort's ire than the others. I doubt it's because he thinks Wennberg is a great guy.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Wow, I think the biggest takeaway from those lines is the fact that they/Torts trust Stenlund more than Duclair. Granted they probably want a longer look at him and I wouldn't be shocked if they swapped next game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad