GDT: Game 47: Avs @ Jets | Monday January 18th, 6pm MTN | Holiday Special

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Kinda OT but Chamber mentioned how if we would have kept ROR we might have been able to trade him for Seth Jones and I thought that actually kind of makes sense.

Couple of things:

1. Why? We got Zadorov, Compher, Grigorenko and Meloche.
2. Kept ROR until when? Now? We wouldn't get Seth Jones straight up for half of a season of ROR who is about to become a UFA.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Kinda OT but Chamber mentioned how if we would have kept ROR we might have been able to trade him for Seth Jones and I thought that actually kind of makes sense.

No, it doesn't...and that's coming from quite possibly one of the biggest (if not THE biggest) O'Reilly fan/homer on this board.

He would have been a pending UFA this season, I cannot conceive of any possible scenario in which the Avs would have successfully parlayed that into Seth Jones. Chambers continues to show that he has 0 actual knowledge of how the NHL works. Johansen is younger (not by a whole lot, but he still is) and under RFA control, meaning there'd be no way the Predators lose him for absolutely nothing. That protection wouldn't be there with O'Reilly.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Why are jokes made that "they should just decline the PP, it'll ruin the momentum..."? (rhetorical question)

My point was that a handful of games where it REALLY clicked doesn't make up for it looking rather pathetic the majority of the rest of the time. Didn't it have a span of going 20+ PP attempts without a goal this season? The Avs' PP tends to go on lengthy dry spells, and it absolutely lets the team down. There's been a couple of games this season where having only 1 PPG would have won the game for the Avs.

Because people have irrational expectations off the PP unit.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
RL, sorry, but I also disagree with you on this one. Zone entry has been a million times better than the last couple of seasons. We don't do the ******** centre ice drop pass as often. Not many teams have 3 players like Barrie/MacK/Duchene who can enter a zone and setup at high speed. I'm not a huge fan of the setup, like having Iggy on the right side half boards or when Tanguay just drifts around the blue line. I think the personnel could be selected a bit better, but our PP produces for the most part. It just really let us down against the BJs. I'm not talking about scoring percentage, I'm talking about failing to generate any offensive threats over the course of 2 minute powerplays. That's frustrating. Overall, though, the PP has been pretty good and a lot better than some other teams. Watch Calgary's PP. Two minutes of Gaudreau trying to create a goal while 4 other plugs stand around doing nothing. Now THAT'S infuriating.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Because people have irrational expectations off the PP unit.

Well, I guess we're at an impasse (if you're implying I have irrational expectations of the PP), because I still see the same struggles with the PP. They have trouble gaining entry, they seem to get into trouble setting it up once in the zone (at times), and they almost exclusively run one play--the "get it to Iginla for a one-timer!" play. I'm not upset at their standing, PP wise, right now, but I do believe that their PP has let the team down in numerous games this season.

RL, sorry, but I also disagree with you on this one. Zone entry has been a million times better than the last couple of seasons. We don't do the ******** centre ice drop pass as often. Not many teams have 3 players like Barrie/MacK/Duchene who can enter a zone and setup at high speed. I'm not a huge fan of the setup, like having Iggy on the right side half boards or when Tanguay just drifts around the blue line. I think the personnel could be selected a bit better, but our PP produces for the most part. It just really let us down against the BJs. I'm not talking about scoring percentage, I'm talking about failing to generate any offensive threats over the course of 2 minute powerplays. That's frustrating. Overall, though, the PP has been pretty good and a lot better than some other teams. Watch Calgary's PP. Two minutes of Gaudreau trying to create a goal while 4 other plugs stand around doing nothing. Now THAT'S infuriating.

Meh. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da. Life goes on.

I'll concede.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Well, I guess we're at an impasse (if you're implying I have irrational expectations of the PP), because I still see the same struggles with the PP. They have trouble gaining entry, they seem to get into trouble setting it up once in the zone (at times), and they almost exclusively run one play--the "get it to Iginla for a one-timer!" play. I'm not upset at their standing, PP wise, right now, but I do believe that their PP has let the team down in numerous games this season.

Hey I'm with you there. But like I said, that's going to be the case for every NHL team. At least we don't have PAP trying to gain the zone anymore moving up the ice at the speed of smell. That was painful.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Hey I'm with you there. But like I said, that's going to be the case for every NHL team. At least we don't have PAP trying to gain the zone anymore moving up the ice at the speed of smell. That was painful.

"The speed of smell"?

Damn...that does pretty accurately describe how slow PAP was.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Right, now name the teams who's PPs this isn't true of.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
No, it doesn't...and that's coming from quite possibly one of the biggest (if not THE biggest) O'Reilly fan/homer on this board.

He would have been a pending UFA this season, I cannot conceive of any possible scenario in which the Avs would have successfully parlayed that into Seth Jones. Chambers continues to show that he has 0 actual knowledge of how the NHL works. Johansen is younger (not by a whole lot, but he still is) and under RFA control, meaning there'd be no way the Predators lose him for absolutely nothing. That protection wouldn't be there with O'Reilly.

Im the biggest ROR fan here bruh :D...I agree with all this though.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
A month ago the PP looked great. They moved the puck well and created shooting lanes. The last week it's been back to slow puck movement and way to easy for the PK to put pressure on the puck carrier.

When they don't have a stud that can run a PP, I guess we have to get used to it being very on/off. Replacing EJ with Holden doesn't help either since Holden is not a good puck mover and wants to cheat down the left side, meaning everyone else has to play more safe.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I would like to see Zadorov get in on the PP and use that bomb. Comeau doesn't belong on the PP IMO.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
A month ago the PP looked great. They moved the puck well and created shooting lanes. The last week it's been back to slow puck movement and way to easy for the PK to put pressure on the puck carrier.

When they don't have a stud that can run a PP, I guess we have to get used to it being very on/off. Replacing EJ with Holden doesn't help either since Holden is not a good puck mover and wants to cheat down the left side, meaning everyone else has to play more safe.

PP started sucking when everyone started telling them how great it was lol. I face palmed last game when Iginla took that stupid shot. No screen, no pressure, rolling puck and he shoots for the sake of shooting. he never scores from there ever. If Roy insists on having iginla on the PP put his ass closer to the net where he can actually be effective. Zadorov played on the PP in San Antonio and from what I hear played well. Why isnt he even tried on the PP in the NHL?

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

See this is what Chambers needs to stick to, releasing some stuff like this before all of the media stuff comes out is great.

Whish he would stick to news and releasing stuff that his status gives him access to in order to provide content.

Not wild uneducated opinions on the teams past and future trades lol.

TheFactor

Johnny Malkin
Mar 25, 2011
Calgary
Guys check out the latest "Avs are an awful possession team but are doing good because..." article. https://sports.vice.com/ca/article/...here-are-no-winners-in-the-john-scott-debacle

Down goes brown and people who write these articles probably haven't watched a Avs game all year. Apparently its not our goaltending that's saving us anymore but now its our shooting percentage and our apparently amazing powerplay. We've actually looked pretty good in the last couple of months and put up a good fight pretty much every game. These articles are so ignorant and have gotten annoying.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
If Patrick reviews last game with a clear head, he won't be sitting either of the rookies.

- We dominated the game.
- We were rarely pinned deep in our zone.
- Both of the young D played well, particularly Bigras.
- Our PP let us down, and that's where Roy was playing Iginla, Tanguay, Comeau, etc.
- Columbus scored on a fluke goal.

The defense, and specifically the two young dudes, had nothing to do with us losing that hockey game. I believe a subjective review would identify that.

Zadorov wasn't good and probably will struggle at times for each game, but agreed that neither youngling should deserve to be sat. Maybe bring in Grigorenko for Martinsen, but Avs lost because they lack that big goal by our core. Its amazing how bad MacKinnon has played, but how he has 4 points in the last 5 games.

longest drought without pp goal for avs this season has been six games.
Any information what the league average is on this?

When they don't have a stud that can run a PP, I guess we have to get used to it being very on/off.
Replacing EJ with Holden doesn't help either since Holden is not a good puck mover and wants to cheat down the left side, meaning everyone else has to play more safe.
Agreed. Actually I would take this a step further and say the powerplay looked dominant when Barrie was the best player for the Avs. It then looks really sluggish when Tyson's either having an average or bad game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad