GDT: Game 46: Sharks @ Coyotes - 7PM - FSAZ+

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Sucks that Keller fumbled his shootout attempt.

I would have liked to see Domi get a go in the shootout. He had a good game for a change.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
play of the game (according to Nash--in my imagined world)...

Martinook going to the bench to get a new stick when his broke in the first pperiod. Best PLay EVER!

Disappointing loss, but not a surprising one

Reactions: _Del_ and Yandover

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
I was about to be infuriated when Nook fell at the end of the 3rd and it looked like we might lose. Hammer looked up at the clock, looked like he was playing for OT, and then passed to Nook who then had his problems/fall and I honestly couldn't take a loss like that. Playing for OT and then losing it with less than 17 seconds remaining for the team in last place... Just couldn't take that. Luckily, the Yotes didn't blow it there.

But it's sad to say that the second OT was done, I had a bad feeling about the shootout. Imo, Raanta isn't a fanstastic shootout goalie. We haven't got to see a lot of him in it, but I get the feeling it is not his strength. Speaking of, I'm already beyond sick of seeing Stepan take SO attempts. He even manages to look slow when nobody else is on the ice with him, how's that possible? Strong OT team, but weak shootout team imo.

We saw a lot of the same ole same ole during the game too. Keller sets a player up with a beautiful chance, they take FOREVER to shoot it, and it misses or it's saved because the goalie had time to get over, have a massage, and drink a cup of tea before making the save. Panik also was guilty of pulling that take too long to "one time" the puck maneuver along with Domi. Just feels like we have a bunch of players on the team that can't finish.

This is probably the worst I've felt about a season in a while. I mean that specifically about the product on the ice and the future of said product.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
I wonder, has any team had more OTL's than W's? We might be on the cusp of a record setting season.
An interesting stat:

Coyote record in 1 goal games: 7-6-8
Coyote record in games decided by 2 or more goals: 3-22-0

That may not bode well for 2018-2019.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Imo, Raanta isn't a fanstastic shootout goalie.

Yikes, I wish I hadn't been motivated to look this up.

In the history of shootouts, among goalies with 30+ attempts, of a total of 108 goalies...

Raanta is #108. .500 Sv%

EDIT: I looked closer.
Sean Burke is #107
Brian Boucher is #102
Jason LaBarbera is #98
Al Montoya is #99
Ilya Bryzgalov is #86
Mike Smith is #81

Last edited:

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017

In the history of shootouts, among goalies with 30+ attempts, of a total of 108 goalies...

Raanta is #108. .500 Sv%

Sean Burke is #107
Brian Boucher is #102
Jason LaBarbera is #98
Al Montoya is #99
Ilya Bryzgalov is #86
Mike Smith is #81

Haha, yea it certainly isn't his strong suite...dead last :O. Which is an interesting thing to me. What makes one goalie great at shootouts vs not? Now I am motivated to study that list a bit! It's a good thing this team seems to do well in OT because it doesn't look like they can realllly rely on the SO going their way.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix

Sean Burke is #107
Brian Boucher is #102
Jason LaBarbera is #98
Al Montoya is #99
Ilya Bryzgalov is #86
Mike Smith is #81

Interesting to think about that if we had a + shootout goalie all those years Vrbata was torching the opposition we might have ended up with a few extra points. Could have made the difference in the lockout shortened season and maybe the one after.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
We haven't scored a shootout goal in the last 3 shootouts. Only in the one where we beat Carolina. We had 2 then.
I'm puzzled as to why all of our shooters come in slow on the shoot out. Works for a Patrick Kane, but we Doan have any Patrick Kane's. Might just be me, but I like to see 'em come in fast and think it gives the shooter an advantage.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'm puzzled as to why all of our shooters come in slow on the shoot out. Works for a Patrick Kane, but we Doan have any Patrick Kane's. Might just be me, but I like to see 'em come in fast and think it gives the shooter an advantage.

I agree. Maybe something to do with "sticky".

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017

OR at least change up the speeds to throw the goalie off! Come in fast and then slow down or idk. Whatever they are doing right now isn't working. To be fair, though, Perlini absolutely fooled Dell but just whiffed the puck waaaay over the net. SO he can do that move again, just needs to finish it properly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad