GDT: Game 46: Lightning @ Coyotes - FSAZ - 6PM

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
With all due respect rat - It's as easy to throw out negative crap like that, that can never be verified, as it is tiresome to read.

I'm with "rat" on this one. If we ever wanted Crouse to be a better offensive player, another OHL year would've been the way for it to develop. A big missed opportunity.
If we just needed a strong energetic, defensive winger, we could've found an AHL vet for that.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Crouse would be well on his way to a 40+ goal campaign in the OHL if this franchise wasn't ruining him.

Doubtful. Crouse couldn't score on his honeymoon. He has a slow release and little control over where the puck is going

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I'm with "rat" on this one. If we ever wanted Crouse to be a better offensive player, another OHL year would've been the way for it to develop. A big missed opportunity.
If we just needed a strong energetic, defensive winger, we could've found an AHL vet for that.

:laugh: damn auto correct and I've been such a bad boy I can't edit - too funny

Didn't mean it rt

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I disagree. Crouse has done very well this year and has progressed very nicely. The difference between Strome and Crouse is that Strome has to be on the top two lines to help the team and is also a C, where Crouse can play on the fourth line, gain experience and be sheltered. If he was a C, I believe he would have been back in junior.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
No, I didn't. And I still don't want him because he's a bad allround player. That said, I'm not complaining because he actually does exactly what's expected.
Holland is "servicable enough"? Wow, what a statement. In what way again?
I have zero credibility? Wow, this really hurts coming from somebody who apparently likes sucker punches. Really. You should seriously think about your feelings towards Holland. It's somewhat alarming.

Verby is a solid all around player and McGinn has been fine too. Neither have been poor additions as you had predicted.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011

I think that is a sacrifice that has been handled pretty decently though. If Crouse was not in our lineup, we would say that size was lacking on the team and we had a lack of grit past Schenn and White. It is a tradeoff that may wind up jeopardizing some of his offensive abilities for the year, but he is already bigger/faster than most OHL players and he won't learn more than what he already knows in learning how to use his size more efficiently. Another player whom the AHL would be perfect for, but having him learn to use his size in the NHL is a tremendous start.

Would not surprise me if the suggestion of Crouse in the AHL next year to work on offense is done. Think of how that has done for Perlini, DeAngelo, and now, Fischer. Get them some time against top 6 AHL competition, which is basically a poor man's 3rd/4th NHL line. They gain confidence, play at a high tempo, and hopefully carry that over as they transition to the NHL. Eventually, as their play evolves and grows, they solidify into top 6 NHL roles.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Verby is a solid all around player and McGinn has been fine too. Neither have been poor additions as you had predicted.

No, he isn't. He does what they got him for. To use his excellent hands and scoring instincts to make plays. And I have to admit that he does it better than I expected. That said, he's weak on the puck, hiw backchecking is pretty bad and his skating ability declined rapidly. I don't know how you could call him a solid allround player. Rieder is the prototype of a solid allround player. Vrbata isn't even close.

McGinn is absolutely crap. I told you guys that his brother Brock is the only McGinn who's NHL material and it's showing now. They got McGinn to strengthen the PP and to add a physical element. In fact, McGinn has been very soft. No physicality at all. Hardly any hits, let alone hard ones. No fights. He also failed miserably on the PP with only 1 Assist in 41 games and therefore lost his spot on the 2nd unit. Should have been replaced long ago. His latest games were catastrophic even though thr team played well overall. His icetime therefore dropped down considerably. I can only repeat myself. It's a bad bad sign that our top prospects and top offensive players have to play over 3mins PK just because we dress guys that actually do absolutely nothing. Fischer played over 1:30 PK in his nhl debut. If a vet cannot get any any special team icetime over a rookies, let alone those making their debut, they probably shouldn't be in the lineup unless they're as physical and reliable as Ryan White. Tippett must have been really desperate to make decisions like these lately. He wouldn't have to worry about all this with guys like Miller, Jooris or Dauphin in the lineup.

BigJCaRoach

I howl
Sponsor
Oct 5, 2005
The Desert
Crouse would be well on his way to a 40+ goal campaign in the OHL if this franchise wasn't ruining him.

Chayka on Sportsnet Hockey Central at Noon December 15th. (Can't locate my link from a past thread.) Spoke of Crouse missing out not scoring 30-40 some odd goals in junior rather than the (limited or non scoring) role/time with big club. Spoke of goals that would have been scored in junior that either were or were not "NHL translatable goals".

Peter Holland scored a lot in the OHL at one point too.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
No, he isn't. He does what they got him for. To use his excellent hands and scoring instincts to make plays. And I have to admit that he does it better than I expected. That said, he's weak on the puck, hiw backchecking is pretty bad and his skating ability declined rapidly. I don't know how you could call him a solid allround player. Rieder is the prototype of a solid allround player. Vrbata isn't even close.

McGinn is absolutely crap. I told you guys that his brother Brock is the only McGinn who's NHL material and it's showing now. They got McGinn to strengthen the PP and to add a physical element. In fact, McGinn has been very soft. No physicality at all. Hardly any hits, let alone hard ones. No fights. He also failed miserably on the PP with only 1 Assist in 41 games and therefore lost his spot on the 2nd unit. Should have been replaced long ago. His latest games were catastrophic even though thr team played well overall. His icetime therefore dropped down considerably. I can only repeat myself. It's a bad bad sign that our top prospects and top offensive players have to play over 3mins PK just because we dress guys that actually do absolutely nothing. Fischer played over 1:30 PK in his nhl debut. If a vet cannot get any any special team icetime over a rookies, let alone those making their debut, they probably shouldn't be in the lineup unless they're as physical and reliable as Ryan White. Tippett must have been really desperate to make decisions like these lately. He wouldn't have to worry about all this with guys like Miller, Jooris or Dauphin in the lineup.

Vrby is on a 55 point pace and he is solid on D, solid in all 3 zones. I am not sure what you are watching? He was never fast but has always been smart. For what we signed him for Vrby has been awesome. Many like you thought he was done. Nobody expected 50+ point production.

McGinnn has been a little under expectations from a points perspective. Nobody expected him to be our best second line winger, he is a third line player. He wasn't signed to be a top PP guy either. Again, he makes smart plays and was a depth signing, he has been fine.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Chayka on Sportsnet Hockey Central at Noon December 15th. (Can't locate my link from a past thread.) Spoke of Crouse missing out not scoring 30-40 some odd goals in junior rather than the (limited or non scoring) role/time with big club. Spoke of goals that would have been scored in junior that either were or were not "NHL translatable goals".

Peter Holland scored a lot in the OHL at one point too.

I'm not worried about Crouse's style being not translatable and I think that as a general matter sort of misses the point anyway. It's more about the Domi reason for being sent down than him actually needing to develop his tools. Dominate the league, gain confidence, and practice consistency.

I'm not nearly as much a devotee of this idea as some, but that's the idea.

gorsk11

Logan Cooley for the win.
Jun 25, 2008
AZ
Vrby is on a 55 point pace and he is solid on D, solid in all 3 zones. I am not sure what you are watching? He was never fast but has always been smart. For what we signed him for Vrby has been awesome. Many like you thought he was done. Nobody expected 50+ point production.

I have to totally agree. Vrbata is strong in all three zones. He makes smart plays with the puck. Constantly covers for a pinching d-man. I don't think he is strong on the boards but he does win some puck battles with his hands. I don't ever think he has been a defensive liability. And sure - he makes mistakes like every other player but he's solid in all three zones and usually makes solid plays. Also, I like the fact that he actually shoots the puck. I wish a few more guys would pull the trigger more often like Vrbata.

gorsk11

Logan Cooley for the win.
Jun 25, 2008
AZ
On Crouse - I think he has improved all year long. I can see both sides. Some more time in the OHL might give him some time to work on his offensive game but he has showed he can play and compete at the NHL level which is valuable.

I'm not a big fan of Holland, McGinn or White. I'm surprised White has played so much.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I agree. I did not want Verby signed, and he is making me eat crow, but with Duclair having a difficult year, Verby has really done well. McGinn started a bit slow but he is playing much better now.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

McGinnn has been a little under expectations from a points perspective. Nobody expected him to be our best second line winger, he is a third line player. He wasn't signed to be a top PP guy either. Again, he makes smart plays and was a depth signing, he has been fine.

Spot on.:nod:

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
On Crouse - I think he has improved all year long. I can see both sides. Some more time in the OHL might give him some time to work on his offensive game but he has showed he can play and compete at the NHL level which is valuable.

I'm not a big fan of Holland, McGinn or White. I'm surprised White has played so much.

What is everybody seeing in Crouse? I see big and fast, might turn out to be a shut down defensive forward, but doesn't have the stick skills to either be a decent assist maker or goal scorer. The thought crosses my mind that he might make an excellent defenseman.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
No, I didn't. And I still don't want him because he's a bad allround player.

Interesting you'd say that about the guy currently leading the team in every offensive category.

I disagree. Crouse has done very well this year and has progressed very nicely.

I agree with you, Jake, so let's keep an eye peeled for the falling brimstone. :D

What is everybody seeing in Crouse?

I see a good character guy with some grit and size. I think he'll top out at the 3rd line in his NHL career but from what I've seen so far, he's one of the "glue" guys you find in a room more than anything he does on the ice.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona

Agreed, here I thought it was obvious. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad