GDT: Game 46 | Bruins v Blue Jackets 7PM, NESN, 98.5

bruinsfan001

Apr 2, 2010
The B's were weak but this game was so close to going a different way.

Pasta just missing with that open net. Chara's bomb just skimming off the goalies mask/shoulder. Eriksson shooting it right back into goalie that one timer...

Tough one. Rask was great again.

Is this going to be the excuse we use when they lose game 7....if they even make it there. I didn't watch the game but I didn't have to. A good team finds ways to win or at least steals a point out of the game. This team still has a big hill to climb to prove they are worthy IMO.

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm
I thought the Bruins did an excellent job in the first two periods on the forecheck, pressuring the puck carrier. There were many times that Columbus ended up handing the puck right over to the Bruins defensemen in the neutral zone which is which is the point of the aggressive forecheck if you can't win the puck in the offensive zone to create a scoring chance.

If we're going to be a heavy forechecking team you'd like to see a couple more physical/fast forwards on the forecheck like Columbus has to wear down opposing defenses. Bergeron does great winning battles and Lucic was committed to the game again last night, and the bottom six guys Kelly/Campbell/Paille are willing to put in the work, but the team needs help....when the Bruins forecheck aggressively they are dependent on causing turnovers...but sometimes against a team like Montreal/Chicago the forwards don't get there fast enough and Montreal has Price who plays the puck so well if it's not a perfect corner dump-in....and then where does the offense come from?

So I thought the Bruins had the puck a lot last night, but they had it in situations that are so easily defensible. 5 on 5 if the other team is set up defensively it's almost going to take a miracle to score in today's NHL. The Bruins for the most part controlled the game so they were attacking from the neutral zone in and without speed.

Hamilton is struggling right now so the only defenseman in the lineup that seemed capable of creating offense was Krug and he played well at times, but it's not enough.

Of course the bad PP's are on the players tonight.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Is this going to be the excuse we use when they lose game 7....if they even make it there. I didn't watch the game but I didn't have to. A good team finds a ways to win or at least steals a point out of the game. This team still needs a lot of work IMO.

ah the old "I`m going to comment on games I didn`t see post" you didn`t watch but didn`t have to???

C`mon, I get the frustrations with this team but one thing I certainly try not to do is toss in my 2 cents when I haven`t watched the bloody game

There isn`t a good team in this league who plays 82 games who doesn`t have more than a few games where they failed to steal a point

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm
ah the old "I`m going to comment on games I didn`t see post" you didn`t watch but didn`t have to???

C`mon, I get the frustrations with this team but one thing I certainly try not to do is toss in my 2 cents when I haven`t watched the bloody game

There isn`t a good team in this league who plays 82 games who doesn`t have more than a few games where they failed to steal a point

That's a game a very good team should at least take a point out of. Look at what our competition is doing against Columbus. The Rangers playing back to back and on road managed to beat a fresh Columbus squad. Montreal made a comeback and beat them too on the road, and the Bruins playing at home with a healthy line-up and rest couldn't score to save their lives against Columbus that was playing back to back.

It's frustrating because you used to see teams without a lot of talent play the way the Bruins do to keep the score down and neutralize teams with superior talent....It seems to me that the Bruins have talent throughout the line-up and neutralize their own capabilities, but the coach is happy this way.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
That's a game a very good team should at least take a point out of. Look at what our competition is doing against Columbus. The Rangers playing back to back and on road managed to beat a fresh Columbus squad. Montreal made a comeback and beat them too on the road, and the Bruins playing at home with a healthy line-up and rest couldn't score to save their lives against Columbus that was playing back to back.

It's frustrating because you used to see teams without a lot of talent play the way the Bruins do to keep the score down and neutralize teams with superior talent....It seems to me that the Bruins have talent throughout the line-up and neutralize their own capabilities, but the coach is happy this way.

are the Bruins a "very good" team? I think they are good, I also think they are incomplete and with the season they have had, nice win streak recently or not, this is still a team who hasn`t acutely identified it`s exact identity and Columbus is also a good team who were a playoff team last year who`s start was most likely explained by an absolutely insane amount of injuries.

Coming off a back to back I would agree, advantage to the team sitting waiting for it`s opponents however, that just isn`t a guarantee.

I didn`t say the pts weren`t important, and honestly, what other teams within the division/conference are doing against them means squat to this fan, there are teams that for whatever reason, historically give other teams nightmares. Not sure why the Jackets have played well against the B`s this year but they have since getting healthy

There are a handful of team (actually maybe 2-3 at best) that I would fully expect this team should handle easily, back to back or otherwise, the Jackets are a well coached team with talent, I`d have been far more concerned if the B`s went out and played a 15 minute game with barely a heartbeat

I wasn`t impressed with their finish, wasn`t impressed with their 3rd period, but I sure won`t go into panic over the result

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I'm not over reacting. I just think they should have continued the winning streak no matter who was out. Columbus is not a good team. They should have won. I'm just mad they lost tonight. To me, it's a step back after beating some good teams. It's ok to be mad isn't it?

Your emotions are yours, think and feel whatever you want. I use don't think they were going to roll through the rest of the season without losing a game, so this was going to happen eventually.

More concerning to me is the theme of them losing games they should have won. They have a tendency to do things like give teams on the second end of a back to back life, make backups look like world beaters, and oftentimes not win games that they should be winning. If they escape the CBJ games and Carolina game, and other games in that tier with 2 points the standings looks different right now.

The loss last night doesn't undo the good work they did over the last 5, just like the first 1 or 2 games in the streak didn't undo all the sucky work they did prior to getting on a roll.

Sure it's disappointing. It's also one game. If one game stretches into two and three, that's when there's an issue. They didn't look BAD perse...just a loss against a team they should have beat. It happens.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Your emotions are yours, think and feel whatever you want. I use don't think they were going to roll through the rest of the season without losing a game, so this was going to happen eventually.

More concerning to me is the theme of them losing games they should have won. They have a tendency to do things like give teams on the second end of a back to back life, make backups look like world beaters, and oftentimes not win games that they should be winning. If they escape the CBJ games and Carolina game, and other games in that tier with 2 points the standings looks different right now.

The loss last night doesn't undo the good work they did over the last 5, just like the first 1 or 2 games in the streak didn't undo all the sucky work they did prior to getting on a roll.

Sure it's disappointing. It's also one game. If one game stretches into two and three, that's when there's an issue. They didn't look BAD perse...just a loss against a team they should have beat. It happens.

Look at the Panthers losing to Edmonton as a good example to back up your solid reasoning

Excellent and rational post

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm
are the Bruins a "very good" team? I think they are good, I also think they are incomplete and with the season they have had, nice win streak recently or not, this is still a team who hasn`t acutely identified it`s exact identity and Columbus is also a good team who were a playoff team last year who`s start was most likely explained by an absolutely insane amount of injuries.

Coming off a back to back I would agree, advantage to the team sitting waiting for it`s opponents however, that just isn`t a guarantee.

I didn`t say the pts weren`t important, and honestly, what other teams within the division/conference are doing against them means squat to this fan, there are teams that for whatever reason, historically give other teams nightmares. Not sure why the Jackets have played well against the B`s this year but they have since getting healthy

There are a handful of team (actually maybe 2-3 at best) that I would fully expect this team should handle easily, back to back or otherwise, the Jackets are a well coached team with talent, I`d have been far more concerned if the B`s went out and played a 15 minute game with barely a heartbeat

I wasn`t impressed with their finish, wasn`t impressed with their 3rd period, but I sure won`t go into panic over the result

I agree. They are good but I don't think they get the most out of their players. The team doesn't have an identity. The coach complains that the team lost the battles in the corners last night, but if you play against a team that has bigger/stronger players that is going to happen, and you have to win in other ways. The bigger/stronger teams tend to only have smaller/lighter players in the lineup if they are super-skilled. Otherwise it is wave after wave of 200+lb guys battling on the boards/cycling.

The Bruins have the make-up of two separate teams in one roster. You have the forecheck/grinders in Bergeron, Lucic, Paille, Campbell, Kelly but of them only one has the size that you see on other teams. Then you have the guys that don't benefit from the board battles like Eriksson, Smith, Krejci, Pastrnak/Grffith and I know every team has to have a variety of players to succeed but to me the system they are playing, so dependent on winning battles, renders ineffective other players on the team with different strengths.

remer

Oct 18, 2005
Well this is a game they should have won and they didn't come prepared to win it.

All factors that should have been in their favor.
a) Columbus on back to back nights b) Back-up goaltender in net c) Healthy Bruin team d) Rask playing well e) Rested f) Confident and one a winning streak g) Win one for Marchand h)Home ice

This team has been very disappointing this year. Hopefully Chia doesn't make stupid moves. It would be silly to move young talent in Providence for rentals. It would be smart to net some assets from our UFA's and plugs that are not in the Bruins future.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Our forwards are good but we lack significant playmaking abilities from our D. Krug is the only one who consistently produces. Hamilton hasn't impressed me on a while. Get Yandle now! Watching our D bring up the puck is cringe worthy. Its destroying everything.

BostonPC

Bleed Black & Gold
Dec 3, 2005
Woburn, MA
Tough game for the Bruins... Plenty of opportunities... some pissed away and others where Columbus did a nice job of backchecking.

I enjoy watching Pasta progress. He is always working and makes good decisions a lot of the time.

Still think this team needs help from Chiarelli. A RW and a defenseman.

BostonPC

Bleed Black & Gold
Dec 3, 2005
Woburn, MA
Well this is a game they should have won and they didn't come prepared to win it.

All factors that should have been in their favor.
a) Columbus on back to back nights b) Back-up goaltender in net c) Healthy Bruin team d) Rask playing well e) Rested f) Confident and one a winning streak g) Win one for Marchand h)Home ice

This team has been very disappointing this year. Hopefully Chia doesn't make stupid moves. It would be silly to move young talent in Providence for rentals. It would be smart to net some assets from our UFA's and plugs that are not in the Bruins future.

Depends on the players in Providence. Rentals aren't always bad things if you get the right players. Could be what gives you the catalyst to go all the way to the SC.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
As Julien said, and several players concurred with, they got too cute, looking for the perfect play rather than just storming the net. They were the better team most of the game, but that doesn't matter. Let it go that long and a bad bounce can - and did - beat you.

The bad part of a win streak is that the confidence it breeds can too easily slip into overconfidence, and I think that's what happened last night. Hopefully it's a wake-up call and not a de-railer.

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH
Far too many here immediately back to the old "trade em all now" attitude
Take solace from the fact that this is nothing more than a fan board, not the GM's advisory council. You know and I know that there is a huge gulf that lies between those who actually run and manage sports franchises and those who merely watch.

Accept it for the entertainment value or avoid it to keep your hypertension in check. :nod:

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
As Julien said, and several players concurred with, they got too cute, looking for the perfect play rather than just storming the net. They were the better team most of the game, but that doesn't matter. Let it go that long and a bad bounce can - and did - beat you.

The bad part of a win streak is that the confidence it breeds can too easily slip into overconfidence, and I think that's what happened last night. Hopefully it's a wake-up call and not a de-railer.

Agree 100% ..great post...

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
That's a brutal one. Losing to a team way out of the playoff picture who are coming off a back-to-back and using their back-up goalie, and at home to boot. Unacceptable loss, even with the roll the Bruins were on.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
Missed the game but sounds like a tough one. Oh well, you can't win em all.

As long as they use this one to get back to what they were doing during the streak, it's fine. They just need to prove the streak was the team they are, not what they were before.

Helps that Rask is back on his game though. That's a huge advantage.

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm
I don't buy the "too cute" line.

The Bruins stuck to the system for the first two periods....they expended a lot of energy forechecking and did a good job of causing turnovers in the neutral zone, but it is too easy to defend against them because they don't attack with speed, how can you attack with speed when you are only using part of the ice? and part of the reason for that is that Julien dresses his 4 stay at home defensemen.

The system allows almost no individual initiative with the puck. If you watch other teams, the players (even defensemen) are given more latitude to make plays. For example in the Rangers game Klein, who is by no means an offensive defenseman, was swaggering around with the puck because he has confidence/permission to make plays. On the Bruins defense Krug has been given the green light...that seems clear...but the other guys (due to lineup choice and system by Julien) aren't contributing to the offense...they generally don't transition well...again that's part personnel and part lineup choice by Julien.

So of course the meat and potatoes...win the puck on the forecheck...move it back to the point....win the battle for position in front of the net. You should be doing that with a bunch of heavy/physical guys that this team doesn't have.

And then the coach says they are too cute. Well you don't want skilled players like Krejci, Pastrnak, Smith, Soderberg, Eriksson, Marchand actually trying to make plays with the puck? Look at the ice time for the forwards last night, you want these guys (sans Marchand) battling on the boards the whole night with big strong men like Johansen, Hartnell, Foligno, Dubinsky? I give the Bruins forwards credit over the last several games since the Jacobs statement, they are back competing hard especially Lucic, but I don't believe this kind of play suits them.

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
Look at the Panthers losing to Edmonton as a good example to back up your solid reasoning

Excellent and rational post

The panthers while in the race to make the playoffs they are in the middle of a rebuild and young. Boston is in the middle of a cup window with vets sitting in 8th. Big difference.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

The Bruins stuck to the system for the first two periods....they expended a lot of energy forechecking and did a good job of causing turnovers in the neutral zone, but it is too easy to defend against them because they don't attack with speed, how can you attack with speed when you are only using part of the ice? and part of the reason for that is that Julien dresses his 4 stay at home defensemen.

The system allows almost no individual initiative with the puck. If you watch other teams, the players (even defensemen) are given more latitude to make plays. For example in the Rangers game Klein, who is by no means an offensive defenseman, was swaggering around with the puck because he has confidence/permission to make plays. On the Bruins defense Krug has been given the green light...that seems clear...but the other guys (due to lineup choice and system by Julien) aren't contributing to the offense...they generally don't transition well...again that's part personnel and part lineup choice by Julien.

So of course the meat and potatoes...win the puck on the forecheck...move it back to the point....win the battle for position in front of the net. You should be doing that with a bunch of heavy/physical guys that this team doesn't have.

And then the coach says they are too cute. Well you don't want skilled players like Krejci, Pastrnak, Smith, Soderberg, Eriksson, Marchand actually trying to make plays with the puck? Look at the ice time for the forwards last night, you want these guys (sans Marchand) battling on the boards the whole night with big strong men like Johansen, Hartnell, Foligno, Dubinsky? I give the Bruins forwards credit over the last several games since the Jacobs statement, they are back competing hard especially Lucic, but I don't believe this kind of play suits them.

The system has almost nothing to do with a player in possession of the puck. The system is designed to prevent goals and gain possession. Once the Bruins have the puck, its on the player with the puck to make the best decision based on what he's seeing on the ice.

Chara, Seids, McQuaid, Miller all pinch deep into the offensive zone (because the 3rd forward high can cover). They don't swagger around with the puck because they are not capable of it, not because they don't have permission. When Chara does try to do too much with the puck he usually ends up looking the fool.

Its all about execution & effort. Clearly when the effort is high the execution is much better.

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH
The system has almost nothing to do with a player in possession of the puck. The system is designed to prevent goals and gain possession. Once the Bruins have the puck, its on the player with the puck to make the best decision based on what he's seeing on the ice.

Its all about execution & effort. Clearly when the effort is high the execution is much better.

It's good to see there are some who realize what the system is actually about and intended to do. This nonsense about it holding back offense is just that, nonsense. Hockey is a possession game. The system is about just what you said it is about: preventing goals and re-establishing possession. Once in possession the offense is off to the races. Nothing inhibiting about it.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006

You can't be creative when you're on the boards cycling. They're system is a perimeter game. They should just get drones to play. Transition is a problem because the swing the puck along the boards always. You get Yandle, he will do the same.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
It's good to see there are some who realize what the system is actually about and intended to do. This nonsense about it holding back offense is just that, nonsense. Hockey is a possession game. The system is about just what you said it is about: preventing goals and re-establishing possession. Once in possession the offense is off to the races. Nothing inhibiting about it.

Exactly.

The "too cute" problem they had last night was that several times they were looking for the perfect play, and passed the puck (or tried too) one too many times. There are times when those set-ups work like clockwork (and are pretty and crowd-pleasing), and then there are times when you just have to take the damn shot and crash the net. It's not all one or the other. Good teams do both.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad