GDT: Game #45 - 1.12.14 - vs New York - 5:00 PM - FS Southwest - 1310 AM - 96.7 FM

MetalGodAOD*

Nill has to step in and tell Ruff that Goligoski can't be playing 24 minutes a night. This team's downfall is directly tied to him beginning to receive first pairing minutes. I know there's not many better options, but you have to try something different at this point.

GreatBritishStarsFan

Jul 4, 2011
Bloody hell. D is god awful and our forward lines are FUBAR.

Bring back Sceviour-Peverley-Cole, that line actually works as a second line.

Alistar

Jul 9, 2006
And yeah, I think if the plan is to hope that Oleksiak / Nemeth / Jokipakka / whoever the hell else is going to eventually get up here and we'll improve the defense from within.. that's signing us up for 3 or 4 more years of awful teams.

Something has to happen in between now and then to dramatically improve the talent level on this team.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
What a joke this team is right now. Things were looking so good for us until 2014 hit us. We have hit rock bottom

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Since I saw Sceviour mentioned, if the reason for him being down is that there isn't room for him why not trade Garbutt now to make room. I'm no big fan of the guy but for a bottom 6 player he's got decent numbers that would be appealing to teams looking to add some jam and pop to their bottom 6.

MetalGodAOD*

Since I saw Sceviour mentioned, if the reason for him being down is that there isn't room for him why not trade Garbutt now to make room. I'm no big fan of the guy but for a bottom 6 player he's got decent numbers that would be appealing to teams looking to add some jam and pop to their bottom 6.

The coach loves Garbutt.

Big44 will have to chine in here, but I think they have to wait another 20 days or so to reset Sceviour's waiver clock.

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
TOI:

Nichushkin 9:48
Peverley 12:39
Seguin 15:24
Ryan freaking Garbutt 16:15 and the usual ill-timed penalty

The whole team was **** in this game but mixing up player roles into some sort of mish mash we're seeing lately isn't going to help dig out of this hole. Garbutt is a 12/13th forward at best on most playoff teams and here he is playing 16 minutes for us.

Maybe Ruff is trying to get guys to earn ice time...

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson
TOI:

Nichushkin 9:48
Peverley 12:39
Seguin 15:24
Ryan freaking Garbutt 16:15 and the usual ill-timed penalty

The whole team was **** in this game but mixing up player roles into some sort of mish mash we're seeing lately isn't going to help dig out of this hole. Garbutt is a 12/13th forward at best on most playoff teams and here he is playing 16 minutes for us.

Absolutely f'ing ridiculous.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Seriously, what's it going to take for Nill to do something about that defense?

Any sign whatsoever that he's at least trying to address the problem.....that would be a welcome sight, right now. Trotting out the same putrid cast every game clearly is not working.
I hear you, but I think there will not be much done. There aren't many options, sadly.

He could trade for another team's depth guy, but I doubt there are any transformational moves to be made. Rafalski isn't an option. Do any of the guys in the AHL excite you? Because those are the only real changes available.

Cin

Eurosnob.
Feb 29, 2008
Austin, TX
I hear you, but I think there will not be much done. There aren't many options, sadly.

He could trade for another team's depth guy, but I doubt there are any transformational moves to be made. Rafalski isn't an option. Do any of the guys in the AHL excite you? Because those are the only real changes available.

Excites me more than the current menu of **** playing. Team was playing great with Gaunce in. Connauton proved again tonight he deserves at least second pairing minutes. I'd even pair him up with Dillon to eat the most minutes.

He's got the speed, passing, definitely the shot, and grit to **** **** up with Dillon. May even help keep Dillon in check with his turnovers.

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson
The decision to move onto next season needs to be made now. The playoffs are already out of reach. This 6 game stretch has completely killed the hope of anything other than an 8th place finish that we are going to have to hope happens because Phoenix or Minnesota fall apart.

Same story that has been the case the past 6 years now.

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
In Seguin's defense he did leave the game for a few minutes.

The problem is there is still no to little depth between the top line guys and the bottom guys who are net zero.

Garbutt is net zero. (Stupid penalties, goal once in a while)
Roussel is often net zero. (same)
Fiddler has been net zero. (see a pattern?)
Horcoff has been barely positive. (more scoring than stupid penalties but still just a 4th liner)
Chiasson has been close to net zero because his scoring fell off the face of the planet.
Goligoski is literally the worst, but he's lumped into the Benn & Seguin issue category. If they aren't scoring.. what the **** are they doing?

The problem is we have too many guys not producing outcomes that benefit the team. And until we fix that... it's gonna be a long 2014.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
The coach loves Garbutt.

Big44 will have to chine in here, but I think they have to wait another 20 days or so to reset Sceviour's waiver clock.

What I'm saying is I couldn't care less about the waiver clock. He's an NHL player destroying the AHL because he's outgrown that league. What's more is that he is a sterling example to the rest of the organization about paying dues. And what does he get for it? A handful of games where he plays a high level of hockey and contributes tangible results only to be sent down because they're not sure they have room for him over some of the other spares on the team.

Maybe Ruff is trying to get guys to earn ice time...

I might just take the bait here if it weren't for Goligoski playing terribly and still seeing 25 minutes per game.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
The decision to move onto next season needs to be made now. The playoffs are already out of reach. This 6 game stretch has completely killed the hope of anything other than an 8th place finish that we are going to have to hope happens because Phoenix or Minnesota fall apart.

Same story that has been the case the past 6 years now.

Yep. I'm pretty much there with you. Nill's reaction to the way the season has played out thus far will be worth watching. Does he sit on his hands hoping for some magical resurgence in the second half like Nieuwendyk or does he look at the body of work this organization has compiled in the last 6 years?

Rune Forumwalker

May 11, 2006
Yep. I'm pretty much there with you. Nill's reaction to the way the season has played out thus far will be worth watching. Does he sit on his hands hoping for some magical resurgence in the second half like Nieuwendyk or does he look at the body of work this organization has compiled in the last 6 years?

Nieuwy did sell the year the team had an owner. Makes you think he would have the other years if there was an owner in place.

MetalGodAOD*

What I'm saying is I couldn't care less about the waiver clock. He's an NHL player destroying the AHL because he's outgrown that league. What's more is that he is a sterling example to the rest of the organization about paying dues. And what does he get for it? A handful of games where he plays a high level of hockey and contributes tangible results only to be sent down because they're not sure they have room for him over some of the other spares on the team.

Well you play him for 2 games then he gets put on waivers and picked up. That doesn't do you any good either. It's a ****** situation that should have been avoided by giving him a spot out of camp, but its reality right now.

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
Well you play him for 2 games then he gets put on waivers and picked up. That doesn't do you any good either. It's a ****** situation that should have been avoided by giving him a spot out of camp, but its reality right now.

Then you play him two games and if he proves that he has more impact on this team than Garbutt's ****** penalties and Roussel's ****show, then you waive one of the other ones. Or trade them.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia

I guess I'm an idiot then. I thought he only had to go on waivers if he were to be sent down again not if he were just staying on the roster for the rest of the season. What kind of ****ed up new rule is that?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $200.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00