GDT: Game 44: Red Wings at panthers 7:00 pm et 1/17/24 (ESPN+, BSD)

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
biz hates the wings. It's not really a secret, he doesn't like them and his bias was showing during the entire game. Whitney likes to talk up the wings because he was a fan when he was a kid growing up I guess, and biz likes to hate on him for that. So i think a lot of the broadcast was to say all that hate for the wings straight to whitney through TNT.

and btw, whoever said I could still watch it on espn+? I hate you now.
I haven’t listened to their pod in a while, but back in the day Biz used to be pretty complimentary of Yzerman, Wings history, and several of the players. Strange he has some bias against them now, but maybe you’re right and he’s just sick of Whit’s fandom and feels he needs to balance things out lol.

Chelis Chili

Proud HFB member since 21 years [sic!]
Dec 26, 2002
Hockeytown
Detroit pushed its point streak to seven games (6-0-1) – its longest since 2015-16 – to move into third place in the Atlantic Division standings. They are the first new entrant among the top three in the division since Toronto displaced them Dec. 9.

RedWingsGraphic_StreaksYear_Media-17113109.png

sauce: https://media.nhl.com/public/news/17607

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Walman too has some snarl, but make no mistake we don't have Scott Stevens, nor Ken

Walman hits as often as Ghost does, 16 vs 13 for the season. I had to check to see if he threw any since he injured his shoulder/neck crashing into the goal post, and it looks like he's thrown a small handful. Both of them suck at puck battles in the neutral zone, the few shifts they had together made me cringe.

For comparison, Petry has 46 and Chia 84, who's tied with Mo for the team lead. Everyone is hung up on how bad Chia played last season, I'm over that. One of my keys to this season was Chia getting his head out of his ass, and Petry appears to have pulled it out most of the way. If Petry makes Chia play better, then he's well worth his money.

Holl and Maatta are at 30 and 29, just to show how soft Walman has been.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Walman hits as often as Ghost does, 16 vs 13 for the season. I had to check to see if he threw any since he injured his shoulder/neck crashing into the goal post, and it looks like he's thrown a small handful. Both of them suck at puck battles in the neutral zone, the few shifts they had together made me cringe.

For comparison, Petry has 46 and Chia 84, who's tied with Mo for the team lead. Everyone is hung up on how bad Chia played last season, I'm over that. One of my keys to this season was Chia getting his head out of his ass, and Petry appears to have pulled it out most of the way. If Petry makes Chia play better, then he's well worth his money.

Holl and Maatta are at 30 and 29, just to show how soft Walman has
I had a feeling Chiarot and Petry would improve. They're both seasoned veterans. Petry was probably just having a hard time getting used to a new system and playing with Chiarot. Chiarot has been a lot more calculated with his risks. Last year the dude thought he was a 4th forward.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I had a feeling Chiarot and Petry would improve. They're both seasoned veterans. Petry was probably just having a hard time getting used to a new system and playing with Chiarot. Chiarot has been a lot more calculated with his risks. Last year the dude thought he was a 4th forward.

They played together in Montreal for 3 seasons.

I get the feeling that Chia doesn't like younger players telling him what to do. He plays better with vets than he does with Seider. He wants to be the lead man in the pairing, not the support guy like Matta.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I knew little of how he played in Toronto so I can't say I predicted this but for me Holl is the most regrettable defensive signing. I hoped in a reduced role he'd improve but he generally looks slow and ineffective out there. He rightly should continue to be the odd man out when everyone is healthy.

Reactions: JediOrderPizza

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
They played together in Montreal for 3 seasons.

I get the feeling that Chia doesn't like younger players telling him what to do. He plays better with vets than he does with Seider. He wants to be the lead man in the pairing, not the support guy like Matta.

Chiarot mentioned in an interview the other day that he's quite comfortable playing with Petry due to the familiarity. And for his part, Petry was a legitimately good 2nd pairing D not all that long ago; sure he's aging, but he knows what to do.

Reactions: 14ari13

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
I knew little of how he played in Toronto so I can't say I predicted this but for me Holl is the most regrettable defensive signing. I hoped in a reduced role he'd improve but he generally looks slow and ineffective out there. He rightly should continue to be the odd man out when everyone is healthy.
Ken Daniels was on the winged wheel podcast a month ago and wondered if Petry was available sooner if they would have even gotten Holl. Seeing as how Petry plays over Holl and is a number 7 making 3.4mil. I think they wouldn't have signed him. Which is why I do think a buyout here is possible.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
Ken Daniels was on the winged wheel podcast a month ago and wondered if Petry was available sooner if they would have even gotten Holl. Seeing as how Petry plays over Holl and is a number 7 making 3.4mil. I think they wouldn't have signed him. Which is why I do think a buyout here is possible.
I was looking for a new WWP and one from a few years ago bounced up on my feed. So I had fun listening to them talk about Howie in net, AA not scoring, whether Mike Green was coming back next season, and whether they'd see Ras, Seider, Cholo, Veleno, or Svech come up next.

• Wow
Reactions: JediOrderPizza

Man Purse

Dec 16, 2010
wind river valley
Congrats!

Listen - just between you and me and the other Red Wings fans here...Do us a little favor eh?

You had an awesome run with the Habs a few years back - sorta like beating back the clock on 'Father Time'...We all saw your eyes - we all know you made a deal with Satan...Do it again for us?

View attachment 805563
We've moved on to a Jobu doll... but thanks

Reactions: FMichael

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Happy is happy. I still think I lost like 1-1.5 hours worth of sleep over that SH goal.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
It's not realistic for anybody to have predicted everything that has unfolded this season.

But I think it's safe to adopt a rule of thumb going forward:

Steer clear of anything in the Venn diagram that includes both Toronto and defense.

• Haha

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Ghost probably doesn't get re-signed.

Also, a buyout and acquiring another 7D would cost more than just keeping Holl. Overpaid, but suitable 7D. Ideally your 7D costs half as much or less.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Ghost probably doesn't get re-signed.

Also, a buyout and acquiring another 7D would cost more than just keeping Holl. Overpaid, but suitable 7D. Ideally your 7D costs half as much or less.

If we buyout Holl, and let Ghost walk, I would assume it's because we want to throw that money at a better D like Hanifin. Ed would come up, Maata would be the #7 but Ed would be the guy with the paycheck of a #7.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
It's greatly preferable to pay a team to take Holl than it is to just burn cap space. If it takes a 3rd or whatever to move him, that's fine.

cvaicunas

Aug 25, 2021
biz hates the wings. It's not really a secret, he doesn't like them and his bias was showing during the entire game. Whitney likes to talk up the wings because he was a fan when he was a kid growing up I guess, and biz likes to hate on him for that. So i think a lot of the broadcast was to say all that hate for the wings straight to whitney through TNT.

and btw, whoever said I could still watch it on espn+? I hate you now.
High seas my friend... It's not perfect, but sans 10 years ago I could barely watch any wings games out here

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
I really like Ghost and ideally he’d be really good with a guy like Hanifin.

Seider-Walman
And then both Chiarot and Petry in the bottom pair. The issue is it better to keep Walman or promise Ed permanently. I think Ghost is better than Walman but he’s been good since STL.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I really like Ghost and ideally he’d be really good with a guy like Hanifin.

Seider-Walman
And then both Chiarot and Petry in the bottom pair. The issue is it better to keep Walman or promise Ed permanently. I think Ghost is better than Walman but he’s been good since STL.
Ghost isn't better than Walman. Or at least not pre-faceplant into net Walman.

Ghost is bleeding goals against at an alarming rate when paired with anyone other than Maatta. Yes, he scores a lot, but it's not like we don't have other D that can play the point on the PP and he's a net negative at even strength.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
It's not realistic for anybody to have predicted everything that has unfolded this season.

But I think it's safe to adopt a rule of thumb going forward:

Steer clear of anything in the Venn diagram that includes both Toronto and defense.

Larry Murphy worked out alright.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad