GDT: Game 44: Red Wings at panthers 7:00 pm et 1/17/24 (ESPN+, BSD)

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
That's why I'm hesitant to be all-in. The wheels on the team bus went flat in late Oct and through the Sweden trip. Larks filled 'em with Fix-a-flat, and we made it into December before those wheels flew off.

Only real difference is, the team isn't rotating three goalies. Lyon is our starter, and Reimer is lucky to get a game during a back-to-back. As the hockey gods intended.
Oh, come on - what's the worst that can happen? A team that, although better than the last several seasons, we know still isn't really a top competitor, makes a seriouos run and falls short? Or gets blown out in Round 1?

How is that bad? And don't say "the tank" because obviously this team is beyond that now.

Come on - it's fun!

And if they fall short, pop in your copy of Miracle and watch some fun hockey hero stuff!

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
5a6f56fa9a1377d95495cf362bd1ba15.jpg

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Rasmussen, Lyon and Maatta had a great game. Larkin had a very bad game, but he made up by scoring a beautiful gwg.

Lyon is red hot. It is not 2-3 games, it is almost 10 games and it is very probable he can keep it going.
Husso is 9-5-2, I said that Lyon would have taken the two OT games, but in the losses the Wings 3 goals twice, 2 goals twice, and 1 goal once. So I said 3 games, maybe Lyons steals one...maybe 2. So that would be 4 game difference at most.

No matter how good the goalie is, you have to score to win. Since Husso only lost 7 games including OT, there's no way it'd be 10 anyways. Reimer actually played well in about half of his starts, and the ones where he shit the bed happened when Lyon was injured.

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
Husso is 9-5-2, I said that Lyon would have taken the two OT games, but in the losses the Wings 3 goals twice, 2 goals twice, and 1 goal once. So I said 3 games, maybe Lyons steals one...maybe 2. So that would be 4 game difference at most.

No matter how good the goalie is, you have to score to win. Since Husso only lost 7 games including OT, there's no way it'd be 10 anyways. Reimer actually played well in about half of his starts, and the ones where he shit the bed happened when Lyon was injured.
Maybe ducking that shot in Sweden affected him.

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
Oh, come on - what's the worst that can happen? A team that, although better than the last several seasons, we know still isn't really a top competitor, makes a seriouos run and falls short? Or gets blown out in Round 1?

How is that bad? And don't say "the tank" because obviously this team is beyond that now.

Come on - it's fun!

And if they fall short, pop in your copy of Miracle and watch some fun hockey hero stuff!
I went into this season feeling like we're one more year away. I've been saying for a while now that we were told to not expect playoffs (because, you know, we were).

If we get blown out in round one? Whatever. If we miss the playoffs? Doesn't matter to me. Maybe I fire up Cities Skylines 2 or Baldur's Gate, or whatever other game I'm playing. Maybe I re-watch some good movies.

But know one thing: Edward Murphy smiled when he saw the bolded line. After all, he once said "anything that can go wrong, will go wrong." It's best to not tempt fate like that.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Maybe ducking that shot in Sweden affected him.

That got him demoted to 3rd string, and I think that's what really got him. He wasn't mentally ready to play when both Husso and Lyon got injured.

If Lyon hadn't gotten injured then we'd be doing a lot better. Reimer would've had some time to get his head back into the game.

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
Life is good again being a Red Wing fan. At one time we were worried about getting ten points or so out of the next stretch of games. I think we are just about there already. My new Fav player Raz got two points so I hope everyone will leave him alone for a day or two

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Without him and Petry the Wings defense would be 10-ply, except for those nights where Seider has a burr under his saddle.

(and I'm not talking about Shawn. RIP)
Walman too has some snarl, but make no mistake we don't have Scott Stevens, nor Ken Daneyko roaming the ice...The knuckle dragger in me wishes we did :devdance:

Life is good again being a Red Wing fan. At one time we were worried about getting ten points or so out of the next stretch of games. I think we are just about there already. My new Fav player Raz got two points so I hope everyone will leave him alone for a day or two
Maybe he lurks on here and realizes he needs to step it up...

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Might be a bit of a hot take, but Jeff Petry made some solid defensive plays tonight. Give me that guy every night please.

He has been better since the start of the season when he was a non stop turnover machine.
I was gonna say, Petry has played a lot better lately.

Larkin was awful tonight but stepping up with the OT winner makes up for a lot.

Nice win!!

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I only watched the back half of the game and will gladly take the victory. I literally could not tell whether Larkin was even playing for about 15 minutes. Hopefully this was just a one game issue.

We have no option but to ride Lyon at this point. We probably need to spell him on some back-to-backs, but this is as good as our goaltending has looked all year and it makes a difference for sure.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Friday is my 900th game
Congrats!

Listen - just between you and me and the other Red Wings fans here...Do us a little favor eh?

You had an awesome run with the Habs a few years back - sorta like beating back the clock on 'Father Time'...We all saw your eyes - we all know you made a deal with Satan...Do it again for us?

1705593369028.png

Reactions: izlez

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Prime example
TNT: Biz says Panthers have played a perfect game... score is tied
Panther: Wings are legit, game is tied, it's a tight matchup
biz hates the wings. It's not really a secret, he doesn't like them and his bias was showing during the entire game. Whitney likes to talk up the wings because he was a fan when he was a kid growing up I guess, and biz likes to hate on him for that. So i think a lot of the broadcast was to say all that hate for the wings straight to whitney through TNT.

and btw, whoever said I could still watch it on espn+? I hate you now.

Reactions: raymond23

1878rgw

Jun 29, 2017
I mean his play during the 60. If he just had a normal day, then this should’ve been a regulation win. The shortie was his turnover and on the 2-1 he’s got a chance to clear, fails, Boom in the back of the net.

The amount of stats are not so bad on NHL.com

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad