GDT: Game 44: Coyotes @ Jets - FSAZ - 5:30 PM

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
So what'd I miss?

Uhh, Duke had the least amount of TOI for the entire team. Did I miss something? He was creating something whenever the puck was on his stick? What did I miss, is it just because he plays with HOlland?

Tippett is gonna praise the effort late in the 3rd and say that they played well and it was just 2nd period that let them down. You heard it here first^^

Just pathetic. To lose to that team? This season can't end soon enough.

Give me literally two reasons Tippett should not be fired tonight.

Must've been a rerun. I've seen that episode before. Glad I didn't waste my time watching.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I was just joking about Doan being the player/coach. Could he coach after his playing days are done? No clue if that's something he'd be good at or consider doing.

That's a heck of a lot of work and long stretches away from home for a person who won't need to make money for the rest of his life. He can find other avenues to keep himself busy. Of all the player turned coaches that I can recall, only Gretzky didn't need to make a living. He was **** poor as a coach.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
That's a heck of a lot of work and long stretches away from home for a person who won't need to make money for the rest of his life. He can find other avenues to keep himself busy. Of all the player turned coaches that I can recall, only Gretzky didn't need to make a living. He was **** poor as a coach.

Not only does he love the game though, he loves the organization. That might be the difference that makes him want to coach some day.

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
He had a goal on a great shot but I'd be tempted to sit OEL for a game and see if it would help him pull his head out of his ass. Maybe he's injured or maybe he is disinterested or getting tired of this mess but he is playing third pairing hockey this year. He is far from a top 10 or 15 d man in the league this year.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
From a distance Doan has never struck me as the coaching type, but if he did get into it I would want him work his way up as an assistant, minors, or Junior coach.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
He had a goal on a great shot but I'd be tempted to sit OEL for a game and see if it would help him pull his head out of his ass. Maybe he's injured or maybe he is disinterested or getting tired of this mess but he is playing third pairing hockey this year. He is far from a top 10 or 15 d man in the league this year.

I only caught the first half but I thought OEL was great. He defended a rush by Byfuglien masterfully.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

I agree, OEL has been bad lately and really bad tonight. Maybe he is fed up with losing now.

knich

Jan 3, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Did anyone else hear Tyson on broadcast say Yotes won't be any good for another 3-4 years? That would equate to a 8-9 year rebuild. What franchise takes that long to publicly rebuild? It also assumes you had a build at one point. How long has it been since they had a build as Yotes weren't expected to make playoffs in 2012?

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Did anyone else hear Tyson on broadcast say Yotes won't be any good for another 3-4 years? That would equate to a 8-9 year rebuild. What franchise takes that long to publicly rebuild? It also assumes you had a build at one point. How long has it been since they had a build as Yotes weren't expected to make playoffs in 2012?

Great Wall of China...2000 years

Great Pyramid at Giza...20 years

Great Coyotes of the NHL...8-9 years

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Not only does he love the game though, he loves the organization.

I don't know if that's necessarily true. He loves the city, and he loves being a Coyote, and in an abstract sense he loves the team. But I have seen inklings that he's not too fond of the actual organization running the franchise. Should be interesting to watch how this all shakes out.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I don't know if that's necessarily true. He loves the city, and he loves being a Coyote, and in an abstract sense he loves the team. But I have seen inklings that he's not too fond of the actual organization running the franchise. Should be interesting to watch how this all shakes out.

In the most recent interview he mentioned multiple times how well the organization has treated him over the years. He didn't mention Tippett or Chayka by name, so it's possible I suppose. What have you seen that would indicate he's not fond of the organization running the franchise now? Do you mean the owners or, tip and Chayka?

Hope this doesn't come across as argumentative, I'm just legitimately curious about what things led your theory.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
In the most recent interview he mentioned multiple times how well the organization has treated him over the years. He didn't mention Tippett or Chayka by name, so it's possible I suppose. What have you seen that would indicate he's not fond of the organization running the franchise now? Do you mean the owners or, tip and Chayka?

I am largely referring to the owners. In terms of "the organization" I think Doan means EVERYONE, and more specifically the team staff, the trainers, etc. who have been around longer than either the owners or the coaches. Doan very nearly went elsewhere when IceArizona took over, and his last-minute rethink was out of loyalty to the city and the guys who actually run the team more than anyone else. And every negotiation with Doan since has been characterized as "difficult," which could just be a tough agent's fingerprints... but it could also be that after so many years Doan is tiring of playing the company man, particularly for a group who has promised so much in stability and yet have delivered on so little.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I am largely referring to the owners. In terms of "the organization" I think Doan means EVERYONE, and more specifically the team staff, the trainers, etc. who have been around longer than either the owners or the coaches. Doan very nearly went elsewhere when IceArizona took over, and his last-minute rethink was out of loyalty to the city and the guys who actually run the team more than anyone else. And every negotiation with Doan since has been characterized as "difficult," which could just be a tough agent's fingerprints... but it could also be that after so many years Doan is tiring of playing the company man, particularly for a group who has promised so much in stability and yet have delivered on so little.

Ah, I didn't realize the previous negotiation was difficult too. Thanks.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
For the first time this season, Tyson started being annoying to me. I think it was the part where he blamed Duclair for his lack of scoring as one of the main reasons the Coyotes are struggling. I hope we trade Duclair and he ends up with a 35-40 point season (this season).

Matt also ticked me off, he kept calling Domingue Smitty and then said (Smith was replaced moments ago--after LD was in-net for like 4 minutes). Tyson didn't even bother to correct him either (Tyson was also much quieter during last night's game than he's been in quite a while). So, Tyson's given up, Matt's given up, Doan's given up; hell, from his performance last night, Smith seems to be just like
"f- it!".

Tippett is probably hoping to be fired at this point so he can enjoy the next 4 years off while still getting payed well and living it up in AZ.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
For the first time this season, Tyson started being annoying to me. I think it was the part where he blamed Duclair for his lack of scoring as one of the main reasons the Coyotes are struggling. I hope we trade Duclair and he ends up with a 35-40 point season (this season).

Matt also ticked me off, he kept calling Domingue Smitty and then said (Smith was replaced moments ago--after LD was in-net for like 4 minutes). Tyson didn't even bother to correct him either (Tyson was also much quieter during last night's game than he's been in quite a while).

Honestly hard to believe it took you this long to be annoyed by that duo, but to each his own. As for why? Well Tyson's got a point and the organization wasvery clear clear at the face off luncheon prior to season start that they were expecting a lot from established players and went to far as to point out that meant Domi and Duclair, stating that it's a lot to ask, but necessary. As for their typical fumbling about with words etc..... meh, nothing new here.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Noticed Martinook only had 11 minutes and change last night in addition to not looking all that good since his return outside of spurts in his first game. Wonder if he's playing through whatever the hell injury he has.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Noticed Martinook only had 11 minutes and change last night in addition to not looking all that good since his return outside of spurts in his first game. Wonder if he's playing through whatever the hell injury he has.

I think for sure he's playing through something, Oel too.

roadrunner

Jul 25, 2003
U Can'tTake Me Alive
Visit site

Had the same thought. Sit him or Golly. Both are turds too much of the time. That was a real pile o junk by Oliver tonight. Like to see D'Angelo get some ice.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Honestly hard to believe it took you this long to be annoyed by that duo, but to each his own.

I've mostly just seen them as a dysfunctional family:
  • Matt: Annoying uncle who talks a lot about things he doesn't fully understand
  • Tyson: Crazy uncle that tells the same stories over and over and usees a bunch of expressions he thinks are funny
  • Todd: Wacky uncle who thinks baseball is awesome and talks about it as if it is the be all end all of the American experience, and who also tells horribly long stories that have nothing much to do with whatever conversation is going on at the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad