Pre-Game Talk: Game 43: Vancouver Canucks @ Ottawa Senators - Jan 2 - 4PM PST - Sportsnet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Goldy is in the timeout box for poor d past few games. Here is hoping he is back soon for good behavior.
Obviously Green hasn't been impressed by Goldy (he was lazy on NJ's second goal yesterday..initially I thought it was Hutton)..The return of Baertschi could have impacted that decision as well.

Schaller,..I don't mind as 4th line player, anything above that is over his head..While I like the Beagle and Roussel signings, Schaller has not really had any impact on the squad.

Hopefully,Bo gets back to his former self..Apparently he is playing though an injury sustained in the warmup of the Calgary game.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
They both suck at it but Goldobin sucks at it while occasionally contributing and Schaller sucks at it while being a complete bag of ass.

Why would opinions of Benning have anything to do with a discussion of the relative merits of two players both acquired by Benning?
Because earlier you were shouting out about “JIMBO SIGNINGS”
Seems like you can’t help yourself but bring up JB in any discussion.

rocketchu

Mar 22, 2017
Hustle and Goldobin are like oil and water. Guy’s been given all kinds of opportunities and continues to be a no show, no umph to his game at all.
He manages to ride EP’s coattail once in awhile but that’s about it.

I am not a Goldobin fan at all but I don't actually think it is a lack of effort, or even focus, on his part. I just don't think he is that talented. He is small/light with very limited skating speed or power. His puck handling is average at best, and very poor for a "skill" guy to the point where his agent told him to change his blade pattern because he was having such difficulty handling the puck, and his shot is average at best. I know he gets the "highly skilled but enigmatic" label from some, as does a player like Ho Sang, but I don't see it as applicable in the case of 77 as the high end talent is just not there in my view. I do wonder how he would be perceived if his last name was Smith.

Reactions: Wo Yorfat

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Aquilini can't be happy about that. Between Del Zotto, Schaller, and Gagner that is 8m not playing. 5m signed for another year.

Never saw that Schaller has signing bonuses.
If you worked in an HR Department and hired those people for your business at those pay-scales, you'd be fired, pure and simple. But somehow when comes to NHL front offices, people just shrug off these awful signings.

Var

Nov 10, 2007
Although I don't think Shaller's a better option, something's got to happen if you float.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Cant blame Coach Green for that. Goldobin isnt bringing anything lately. And he has skill, just little effort and creativity these days. Putting Schaller back in, thats a different problem. The man is not scum but poor quality non scum

Anyways I predict about 80% of our games wrong this year but still thinking we take this one in our nations CAPITAL. 6-4 Canucks with our goals by Boeser (3) and Horvat (3). Id be suprised otherwise tbh

Almost scored a stick between the legs goal the other night and had some excellent chances with Baertschi in Baertschi's first game back despite a otherwise quiet night from both.

Not sure what you want from a 23 year old 40+pt guy. I'm a huge fan of Baertschi but Goldobin has brought almost as much as Baertschi has at a younger age.

I don't get all the Goldobin hate. You're all spoiled by having young guys like Horvat, Pettersson and Boeser to weigh guys like Goldobin against.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Almost scored a stick between the legs goal the other night and had some excellent chances with Baertschi in Baertschi's first game back despite a otherwise quiet night from both.

Not sure what you want from a 23 year old 40+pt guy. I'm a huge fan of Baertschi but Goldobin has brought almost as much as Baertschi has at a younger age.

I don't get all the Goldobin hate. You're all spoiled by having young guys like Horvat, Pettersson and Boeser to weigh guys like Goldobin against.

Hes a purely offensive player who has five goals halfway through the year while playing with the teams top players.

I don't have much of an opinion of him. One way or another but pretty easy to see why he gets "hate."

His 15 ES points is actually just barely ahead of granlund, and we were just talking about how bad granlund's production is.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Hes a purely offensive player who has five goals halfway through the year while playing with the teams top players.

I don't have much of an opinion of him. One way or another but pretty easy to see why he gets "hate."

His 15 ES points is actually just barely ahead of granlund, and we were just talking about how bad granlund's production is.

Baertschi put up a 30pt ES pace last year as well, and although he wasn't playing with the Sedins like Goldobin is playing with Pettersson, he was playing with Boeser and Pettersson draws some pretty heavy defensive matchups himself. Also honestly like half of the robberies at the hands of opposing goaltenders this year that I can remember have come right out of Goldobin's pocket.

Is it really surprising that a player's point totals are heavily weighted towards assists when playing with Pettersson and Boeser?

He's a 23 year old who has continued to improve throughout his career. He's not an all-star, but he's clearly solid prospect who is not well into bust territory. He's not great, but he's not awful. He's fine as it is now, and he's young enough that he could very well improve.

I don't mind sitting young players for games here and there, I'm a big fan of rotating the majority of the lineup in and out to get them rest days anyway, but this board acts like he's trash to be cast off and IMO it's bizarre because it's not even close.

Also, isn't he a natural RW? I know some players play their off wing, but hasn't he been playing there to accommodate are lack of LW depth? Surely that hurts his defensive play if it's the case.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014

Not hating on him pal, just think hes a talented but lazy player who refuses to challenge himself. Your right, hes good, he passes for a middle 6 player, but the frustration is we can all see a lot more talent there thats going to waste, and a lot more effort that could help out the team but he doesnt do it

Reactions: Var

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Not hating on him pal, just think hes a talented but lazy player who refuses to challenge himself. Your right, hes good, he passes for a middle 6 player, but the frustration is we can all see a lot more talent there thats going to waste, and a lot more effort that could help out the team but he doesnt do it

I actually disagree with this more than anything. I think what you described is a player like Leipsic. I think Goldobin actually works hard and is willing to put the effort in to improve, I just think for whatever reason defensive play hasn't clicked for him yet.

I would compare him to someone like Biega. Biega every now and then makes a great play, and while not being gifted physically he's intelligent and works extremely hard. In spite of that he just finds himself out of position defensively and the puck finds its way into the back of the net. Goldobin is like a better version of Biega on offense. He has the offensive talent to makeup for the defensive cluelessness, and you have to hope his work ethic will improve both to the point that he's a passable #6 winger on an okay team.

Reactions: mathonwy

Var

Nov 10, 2007
You coach him? Instead of playing an inferior in every way player?

Do you think Goldobin's a better fourth liner? I'm not sure he is. And if we have Leivo, Boeser, Virtanen, Erikson, Roussel, and Baertchi on the top 3 lines, his skillset is becoming less useful.

Like I agree that overall Goldobin's a better player, but on a line best suited for energy and checking, he doesn't fit the role.

The other thing is if he's a soft, offensive minded player, is it good to reward his play with PP time and offensive zone starts? Give him grade-A opportunities despite not working hard for them? Like eventually you have to put your foot down and if he's benched it seems clear the reason why.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
I actually disagree with this more than anything. I think what you described is a player like Leipsic. I think Goldobin actually works hard and is willing to put the effort in to improve, I just think for whatever reason defensive play hasn't clicked for him yet.

I would compare him to someone like Biega. Biega every now and then makes a great play, and while not being gifted physically he's intelligent and works extremely hard. In spite of that he just finds himself out of position defensively and the puck finds its way into the back of the net. Goldobin is like a better version of Biega on offense. He has the offensive talent to makeup for the defensive cluelessness, and you have to hope his work ethic will improve both to the point that he's a passable #6 winger on an okay team.
Yup.

Goldy puts in the effort.

It's not clicking for him right now but if he keeps putting in the work, it will.

Hard worker and I like what I see so far.

Reactions: pomorick

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
Obviously Green hasn't been impressed by Goldy (he was lazy on NJ's second goal yesterday..initially I thought it was Hutton)..The return of Baertschi could have impacted that decision as well.

Schaller,..I don't mind as 4th line player, anything above that is over his head..While I like the Beagle and Roussel signings, Schaller has not really had any impact on the squad.

Hopefully,Bo gets back to his former self..Apparently he is playing though an injury sustained in the warmup of the Calgary game.
The whole team sucked in a loss to NJ
Why just point fingers at 1 guy..Golddy
Pouliot sucks majority of games.why don't he get called on them..

Reactions: dim jim
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad