Post-Game Talk: GAME 43 - That was easy - BRUINS 6 Team of Gritty 0

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I think the biggest erosion in Smith's game is his decision making without the puck in the offensive zone. He seems lost on where to be the majority of the time and when the puck is on his stick, the flow of the play dies. His work ethic is there. I really don't know what happened to the guy. Maybe he just is an odd fit for Monty's system.

Good observation. I think part of that is due to lack of confidence. He's second-guessing, and this is probably the result.

Could maybe be a system issue, at least in part, but I think he started to decline last year. His start to last season was poor. Rallied somewhat in the second half, but then in the playoffs against the Canes he was basically invisible: 0 points and -5 though 7 games. He's only 33 but some guys just fade earlier than others. Probably best he can realistically hope for from here if he wants to extend his career is to land on a lowly team with little pressure and try and carve out a solid middle-6 role for another couple of years.

It's a shame. I liked the signing when he came to Boston, thought the money was fine, and his first year was quite good. But it just hasn't panned out since then.

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
Good observation. I think part of that is due to lack of confidence. He's second-guessing, and this is probably the result.

Could maybe be a system issue, at least in part, but I think he started to decline last year. His start to last season was poor. Rallied somewhat in the second half, but then in the playoffs against the Canes he was basically invisible: 0 points and -5 though 7 games. He's only 33 but some guys just fade earlier than others. Probably best he can realistically hope for from here if he wants to extend his career is to land on a lowly team with little pressure and try and carve out a solid middle-6 role for another couple of years.

It's a shame. I liked the signing when he came to Boston, thought the money was fine, and his first year was quite good. But it just hasn't panned out since then.
Yep, it is a good observation. Fwiw, I noticed he was late getting to his spots even on their goal.
His decline started with his injury last year, but I think all the factors we mentioned come into play. He plays a dogged two-way style which burns out everyone not named Patrice Bergeron or Sidney Crosby. I do not think Monty's system suits him as nearly well as Cassidy's but Smith was inconsistent last year too.
Overall, I have mostly liked the player and the contract. I agree that he needs to go to a lower middler team, like Nashville again or maybe Detroit. Problem is, only contending teams or terrible teams think fading guys like him add value as depth.

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
I regards to the Greer hit and turning down the fight: I understand the reasoning for it ( blowout game, wasn't a dirty hit, its TDA so who the f*** cares etc etc ) but I think the optics don't look good for him, especially with not even putting up much resistance in the scrum. And then afterwards, he points to the box like it was his plan all along to goad Desla into taking a penalty. Weak.

Greer would have been way out of his league going with Desla, but if Greer wants to play that physical style of game, he needs to be ready to engage a little more than what he showed. That's a response I would expect from someone trying to play like Claude Lemiuex, not Milan Lucic, a player he name dropped earlier this season as a guy he patterns his style after.

Greers team was blowing the other team out, he didnt need to answer for the hit and Deslaurier is literally the worst forward in the nhl. The only thing hes good at is punching. Why bother?

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
1673958349769.png

1673958371709.png

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

BOSTON — Through effort and execution, the Flyers, who entered having won seven of their last eight games, have been able to add some solid wins to their resumé. But their 6-0 loss to the Boston Bruins on Monday afternoon proved there’s a talent gap that hard work can’t overcome.

While it was their worst loss of the season, the Flyers did not play their worst hockey of the season. They worked hard, blocking shots, taking pucks away, and forechecking hard. But the Bruins’ skill was too much of an obstacle and magnified every mistake the Flyers made. Throughout the game, the Bruins skated faster, shot harder and more accurately, and skated circles around the Flyers, who simply looked overmatched against the NHL’s point leaders.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I always wish the highlights are of the road announcers. This isn't some anti-Jack take... just more interesting to hear other announcers talking about how amazing what the Bruins are doing is.
I watch a lot of out of town feeds, including yesterday, as I like hearing about other teams and different views.

The Philly crew, intermission and the minutes I saw of post-game mostly just talked about how The Bruins are just next level. Even when the shots were close in the first, they were saying how it was misleading and how all Boston does is generate Grade A chances. They talked about Krejci a tonne. Gave Bergeron major props including after the high-stick and how he's the last player to do that and gushed about him feeling bad. Zacha, Pasta, Marchand, the whole defence got their due on the Philly feed.
They talked about The Bruins more than about The Flyers and how The Bruins are the hardest team to play against because they're just so consistent shift to shift and do everything right and the same. And that despite Philly's recent run of good games they aren't close to the same level.

One interesting one was them wondering if The Bruins, as the consumate veteran team, would take their foot off the gas when it was 5-0 so as not to embarass Philly even more (not whether The Flyers could stop them or keep up) but then kinda gave them props for just going about their business.

long post but...

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I remember n interview Pasta did maybe his second year here talking about how he called Krejci, who was his idol, Mr. Krejci and how quickly Krech told him not to. You can tell how much of an impact Krejci has had on the younger Czech players. His hard work, sacrifice and commitment to playing a 2 way game.

Great stuff from Pasta after the game:

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I said after the Seattle loss that I think it was good for them. They needed to remember that they can be beat because them not being challenged enough is about the only concern I have for the rest of the regular season. When things get too easy it's tempting to try and get pretty and let bad habits creep in.

What's crazy is that I think they have another gear.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Greers team was blowing the other team out, he didnt need to answer for the hit and Deslaurier is literally the worst forward in the nhl. The only thing hes good at is punching. Why bother?
As it's happened in the history when being asked to answer the bell, "Look at the scoreboard", what purpose does it serve the team or even himself at that point.

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
Hockey is the consummate team sport. Ullmark, Lindholm, & Zacha were on bad teams, and hadn't been able to either demonstrate and/or develop to their potential. Credit the B's front office for timing the market. Part of what has Philly in tough shape is they've done the opposite; just look at the contracts for Ristolainen and K. Hayes.

Anyone at the game, see if you can catch a replay of the start of the second period to the first stoppage. Jake DeBrusk joined Jack and Brick and was sensational. He sounds so happy these days.

So many impressive facets of the B's; what I love is how they not only don't get down when the refs blow a call, they are emboldened by it. We saw what happened after the non-call when Marchand was tripped in LA, and tonight's missed double minor after Coyle was high-sticked was similar.

Great win, obviously; but this and the Anaheim and Chicago games are why I don't get overly confident based on goal differential. The B's aren't facing any of those teams in the playoffs, but Toronto, who they squeaked out a one-goal win against, is likely.
They are a +24 goal differential against teams currently in the playoffs as of this moment. They are 16-2-2 in those 20 games.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
I kind of wish they had asked him how his leg is doing and hand if it is injured but maybe they’re not supposed to ask about injuries,he does seem to be definitively more happy this season,that’s for sure.

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
I watch a lot of out of town feeds, including yesterday, as I like hearing about other teams and different views.

The Philly crew, intermission and the minutes I saw of post-game mostly just talked about how The Bruins are just next level. Even when the shots were close in the first, they were saying how it was misleading and how all Boston does is generate Grade A chances. They talked about Krejci a tonne. Gave Bergeron major props including after the high-stick and how he's the last player to do that and gushed about him feeling bad. Zacha, Pasta, Marchand, the whole defence got their due on the Philly feed.
They talked about The Bruins more than about The Flyers and how The Bruins are the hardest team to play against because they're just so consistent shift to shift and do everything right and the same. And that despite Philly's recent run of good games they aren't close to the same level.

One interesting one was them wondering if The Bruins, as the consumate veteran team, would take their foot off the gas when it was 5-0 so as not to embarass Philly even more (not whether The Flyers could stop them or keep up) but then kinda gave them props for just going about their business.

long post but...
That’s my local broadcast. They were very complimentary to the Bs, as you noted. I thought it was interesting that they stated flat out that one of the reasons Krejci left for a season was the coach.

On another note, is there any way to see JDB’s broadcasting turn?

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
In addition to that Greer usually only gets 8-9 minutes a game, why fight and get even less. He got the misconduct and that cut into his minutes yesterday.

Reactions: hrdpuk

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Let's be honest, for you grey beards like me, this is the most skilled Boston Bruins team that has ever been iced. I won't even hear an argument on it, don't try.

With the skill Zacha has, we should be showering Sweeney with gifts over that new deal (lol getting him for Haula too). That first goal he scored was surreal. But that pass to Pasta on his first was something not many guys in Black and Gold could do consistently over the years. That's elite playmaking.

Watching the key plays again, I cannot get over the skill level. 73 to 48 on that goal, I have no words really. There was a time where Dmen in the NHL just couldn't really do that consistently. I think those 2 can do that easily.

It feels like their best hockey is still coming. That's what's scary. I don't believe we've peaked. Not at all.
I think this Bruins team is the most skilled as a group but I have saw better D men then McAvoy like Bourque & better forwards like Neely but as a group I agree.They do not win the Cup though it all means nothing outside months of enjoyment before that happened.That said it's been a very fun 1st half.Far as peeking I sure hope not because serious hockey yet to come the season only 42 games in.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
I think this Bruins team is the most skilled as a group but I have saw better D men then McAvoy like Bourque & better forwards like Neely but as a group I agree.They do not win the Cup though it all means nothing outside months of enjoyment before that happened.That said it's been a very fun 1st half.Far as peeking I sure hope not because serious hockey yet to come the season only 42 games in.
Bourque is more skilled than 73, sure.

But Pasta is definitely more skilled than Neely, and it's not even close.

Reactions: MerlotLineFan

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Bourque is more skilled than 73, sure.

But Pasta is definitely more skilled than Neely, and it's not even close.
Neely did it all as a power forward though.Fought tough guys big heavy hits and if not for Ulf his numbers been alot better.Add here is the kicker.The Bruins never started owning the habs till he arrived.But hey Pasta is a superstar no doubt about it so I can't say nothing against that talent.Bruins will be ponying up this time.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
Neely did it all as a power forward though.Fought tough guys big heavy hits and if not for Ulf his numbers been alot better.Add here is the kicker.The Bruins never started owning the habs till he arrived.But hey Pasta is a superstar no doubt about it so I can't say nothing against that talent.Bruins will be ponying up this time.
Hard comparing an elite power forward from 30+ years ago to an elite sniper in 2023.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Hard comparing an elite power forward from 30+ years ago to an elite sniper in 2023.
Very true but I would never sell Neely short because as I said the Montreal.Canadiens owned the Bruins forever till he arrived and in my books that counts too.Shame they ran into those Oiler teams or he would have had a ring as a player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad