GDT: Game 43 - Red Wings @ Coyotes - 1/14/16 - 7pm

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Petr the Great outlasted King Louis. It was a lot of fun watching two young goalies out on the ice.

After looking around the bowl at the game it was no surprise I couldn't give away my extra ticket even for free. Actually ended up selling it on StubHub but no one ever showed up at the seat. At least it left me with some funds to attend another game. It was the lowest attended Red Wings game since I've been out here and I've only been to one Coyotes game with less attendance, I think. This team should be drawing better given how their playing. Maybe there's still some uncertainty regarding stability.

Had a lot of fun. Met some cool people at Lumberyard and Buffalo Wild Wings. It's great to talk to other hockey people in person.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
2 penalties, 2 PP goals, our play was fine, we didn't lay back.

Nah. Detroit just woke up in the third. We had them the entire game until that Vermette penalty gave them life.

Not too upset. We are staying in games and winning more than losing. I'd call that a successful season so far.

I'm still expecting a drastic crash, but if we are still in a playoff spot come trade deadline, that's the goal.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I hope you guys make the playoffs over the California teams

Always liked Arizona. Is that young goalie supposed to be the future?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Not really. The game was pretty close even though we were up 2-0. Two late penalties hurt us, we can't take those. We did it to the Oilers last game, dead wings gave us a taste of our own medicine. The team looks pretty good right now, happy with our play and the point.

I agree. You take penalties against a good veteran team look out. Another learning experience for this team.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Just got home from the game. First, the Wings deserved this win, so no sour grapes from me. Second, the officiating was just God awful. At one point in the second period the ref called a penalty on the Coyote by raising his hand. The Coyotes had possession and since the play continued on Domingue raced off the ice. When the Wings player got control of the puck the play continued. It was only after he passed the center line that the ref blew his whistle. Also, the goalie interference was obvious from my vantage point.

The league has a lot to clean up with this crew.

I don't think it was goalie interference, but there were many questionable calls on both teams. Go on to the next game.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I hope you guys make the playoffs over the California teams

Always liked Arizona. Is that young goalie supposed to be the future?

Hopefully, he's looked really good so far but we'll see if he stays consistent.

I can't believe Marty didn't finish that sweet set up from domi in ot, that would've been perfect. It was awesome to see larkin and domi on the same ice, both so talented.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Doan said the Detroit player had his stick on Dom's stomach and didn't let him move. Nothing was mentioned about his leg interfering.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Did one of the douchebro Wings fans actually try to fight our mascot last night?

Goddammit, what IS it in the Arizona water that makes these domestic terrorists such cornwads? :rant:

Anyway, I may despise the AZ-based Wings fans (don't worry, actual Wings fans, this is a separate genus from the main species), but I do get why people love their team. Give them even the least momentum and they take it with both hands and run. As soon as they scored their first goal I knew we'd lose the game, and it wasn't even because of last season's ennui.

Last edited:

Spirit of Lindgren

Jan 1, 2016
Thats OK
All the Coyote fans you can see in the picture, would have pounced on that guy had he accosted Howler!!!!

After the high of the Edmonton game, this was the lowest low.....
There were not 50 people in Section 104.
had it not been for Red Wing fans that place would have been a TOMB.

Last edited:

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Did one of the douchebro Wings fans actually try to fight our mascot last night?

Would not surprise me. What an epic fail (generally speaking) these idiot wing fans are. Not only couldn't they come support their "beloved" team in typical numbers (hey no Cups for a while), but some of the behavior is..... well too wing fan like. Scrawny little duck lipped gal in front of me decides to mount her doofus boyfriend in his seat and start dry humping him, while he waives his hands in the air - needless to say usher boots 'em out claiming the behavior was not appropriate with all the children around. Does it come as a surprise to anyone that they could not understand the decision?

Oh well, great game despite those imbeciles and the outcome.

YandlesMother

Nov 21, 2013
Would not surprise me. What an epic fail (generally speaking) these idiot wing fans are. Not only couldn't they come support their "beloved" team in typical numbers (hey no Cups for a while), but some of the behavior is..... well too wing fan like. Scrawny little duck lipped gal in front of me decides to mount her boyfriend in his seat and start dry humping him, while he waives his hands in the air - needless to say usher boots 'em out claiming the behavior was not appropriate with all the children around. Does it come as a surprise to anyone that they could not understand the decision?

Oh well, great game despite those imbeciles and the outcome.

Sadly I've had to sell my tickets to Tuesday/Thursday games this season (gg grad school), but missing the red wings game was the first to annoy me. I genuinely love the red wings fans. There are certainly the bad ones, but overall they drink a lot, enjoy themselves, and are passionate. I dream our fanbase can become the same.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Sadly I've had to sell my tickets to Tuesday/Thursday games this season (gg grad school), but missing the red wings game was the first to annoy me. I genuinely love the red wings fans. There are certainly the bad ones, but overall they drink a lot, enjoy themselves, and are passionate. I dream our fanbase can become the same.

Having been a sth for over a decade, I see it different. By and large a fan base with some of the worst behavior of any that visit the arena. The good thing about their limited success is it limits their numbers.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Having been a sth for over a decade, I see it different. By and large a fan base with some of the worst behavior of any that visit the arena. The good thing about their limited success is it limits their numbers.

I agree with kihekah, in my 7 years as a STH the worst fans coming into our building were definitely Wings and Hawks fans.

Spirit of Lindgren

Jan 1, 2016
At least they show up

Last night was a shame.
The lowlight of the night was the guy holding up the sign that said:

Welcome to the Joe Louis Arena of the Desert!!!!

and he was exactly right.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

Yeah, I agree with kihekah - Arizona Wings fans seem to have a special capacity for idiocy and mean-spiritedness. Most of the Detroit-based fans I've talked to disown them when I mention it.

Last night was a shame.
The lowlight of the night was the guy holding up the sign that said:

Welcome to the Joe Louis Arena of the Desert!!!!

and he was exactly right.

No, he was wrong, because this is actually Chicago Southwest.

But that sign is symptomatic of a general problem with Arizona sports - by and large, outside of the die-hards, nobody cares about having a home team advantage until it's playoff season.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Ever heard of the Buffalo Sabres?

Sabres fans at GRA are indeed a snotty breed, but they just act superior - they're not out-and-out mascot-fighting wall-defacing child-cursing asswagons like some of the Wings fans I've seen.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
We gave them the game. Let's learn from our mistakes and move on.

Same as the Oilers game in reverse. I am happy with 3 out of 4 points in 2 games, our PP lately, the way the team is playing, and most important, LD has been playing like a top 5-10 goalie. If our goal tending slows down or team play falls off, either could derail us quickly. We now need the most help on the PK, it has been pretty bad lately.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad