GDT: Game 43 @ Ottawa 1pm

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Ottawa and Anaheim are good examples of how the "burn it to the ground" strategy often doesn't work. I mean, it isn't even like Anaheim really whiffed in any of their picks, did they? They just didn't have lottery luck.

I'm probably very late to the game in that observation. But given all the prospects and picks they've had...in 2018-2020 who would have bet both teams would have zero playoff games in that span?
I don't think Ottawa is a great example. They only got Stuetzle because the Sharks imploded, so unless you count him, only Brady Tkachuk is their main top-5 pick. They've started adding veterans (Giroux, Tarasenko) + added some younger impact players (Chuchryn and DeBrincat but he didn't work out). They definitely have the point production up front...seems like they need to fix their defense (+ structure) and goaltending though.

Anaheim, yeah...they are a good example as are Arizona and Buffalo. Edmonton was too until the Oilers lucked into McDavid. Hopefully the Sharks do it the right way rather than getting stuck in the basement for another decade (not including 2020-now lol).

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I don't think Ottawa is a great example. They only got Stuetzle because the Sharks imploded, so unless you count him, only Brady Tkachuk is their main top-5 pick. They've started adding veterans (Giroux, Tarasenko) + added some younger impact players (Chuchryn and DeBrincat but he didn't work out). They definitely have the point production up front...seems like they need to fix their defense (+ structure) and goaltending though.

Anaheim, yeah...they are a good example as are Arizona and Buffalo. Edmonton was too until the Oilers lucked into McDavid. Hopefully the Sharks do it the right way rather than getting stuck in the basement for another decade (not including 2020-now lol).
Arizona never really tore it down and they're competing right now. They kinda just fell apart being a cap floor team with the shitty ownership situation. If anything, they shot themselves in the feet multiple times and are currently succeeding in spite of picking multiple high profile busts. Took a few years but they turned around the garbage fire pretty quickly with Keller being the most useful result of their tanking.

It is interesting that Arizona is doing so well compared to Ottawa and Buffalo. They're probably a less talented team but it seems like they've bought into the coaching.

Reactions: DG93

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Ottawa and Anaheim are good examples of how the "burn it to the ground" strategy often doesn't work. I mean, it isn't even like Anaheim really whiffed in any of their picks, did they? They just didn't have lottery luck.

I'm probably very late to the game in that observation. But given all the prospects and picks they've had...in 2018-2020 who would have bet both teams would have zero playoff games in that span?
Anaheim didn't quite whiff on any of their picks but Zegras and Drysdale are not impact players to any extent. The fate of their rebuild depends on how McTavish, Mintyukov and Carlsson develop and those guys are all still 18-20 years old. I think the Ducks will be a Cup contender within the next few years if they use all their cap space and assets wisely.

Reactions: DG93 and coooldude

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007

I'd go a step further than Hodge. It's way too early to judge the Ducks rebuild and it's going really well so far. They have 3.5 core pieces to build around (Zegras a bit of a ? But still very young, Gauthier probably not it but could help be a piece if he develops on the wing).

Ottawa is on the right track and without a weird draft pick penalty would be even better positioned.

Hell, it's too early to judge the Leafs rebuild! These things take an incredibly long time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad