GDT: Game 43: Coyotes @ Oilers - 7PM - FSAZ+

Tad Mikowski

Hail to the King Baby
Sponsor
May 31, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I feel like not scratching the young guys is good enough for the holdout supporters. Even then, significant leeway is given. Chychrun hasn't looked the same since his breather-for-no-reason and it took Duclair ages to stop being micromanaged. DeAngelo is in the AHL for his efforts.

IA is probably so caught up in their financing moonshot that they don't care enough or want to make the effort by firing him. This is not a group that cares a lot about public perception, even by the fans of the team aka the consumers.

I figure he's staying at least this year.

It would be different if this was year 1 or 2 of Tippet losing, but no this will be half a decade. Embarrassing doesn't even describe it well enough.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
This is not a group that cares a lot about public perception, even by the fans of the team aka the consumers.
It's a shame when businesses like this team or forum don't care about the product provided or the mismanagement that leads to the downward spiral.

I figure he's staying at least this year.

Yep. Now they're going to do it the stupid way.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Watching the replay, and 9 minutes in, their goal total equals our shot total.

Not a great sign. Here's hoping.

*takes a swig of something strong*

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
"Not emotionally engaged"
What????!!!!
I can't believe it!!
Im emotionally engaged!
Anybody else emotionally engaged?
Find out who isn't emotionally engaged and get rid of their a--.
Why would that comment even be made?

Only this market could have a coach who has two wins and 11 losses in the past month say, "we've been real competitive the past month" and not have anyone in the media scrum try to follow up on that. Freaking hysterical.

Bonus points for him saying Dvorak was one of the few players who looked like he cared, after he and Crouse had the lowest TOI on the team all night. Literally every other forward, most of whom weren't even "emotionally engaged" "earned" more ice time than those two. So glad, I skipped this clown show.

Kinda destroys the argument of "Inexperienced, young team" when they're hardly even playing and it's the terrible veterans running the gong show.

Exactly. Fire the coaches.

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
For a lot of years I drove to Edmonton for every single Coyotes game. wore my jersey proudly, took the mostly good natured ribbing and gave it right back after the inevitable Coyotes win.

Now I hardly pay attention to when they will be there. That hurt me just to type.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
For a lot of years I drove to Edmonton for every single Coyotes game. wore my jersey proudly, took the mostly good natured ribbing and gave it right back after the inevitable Coyotes win.

Now I hardly pay attention to when they will be there. That hurt me just to type.

They will be better. You can take a page from the Edmonton Oilers fans playbook. They waited for years to see a good product on the ice and now they have one. We will be much better in the years ahead.

Sciamachy

Shadow Coyote
Jan 31, 2008
They will be better. You can take a page from the Edmonton Oilers fans playbook. They waited for years to see a good product on the ice and now they have one. We will be much better in the years ahead.

So start throwing jerseys on the ice every game and chanting for the coach to be fired.... sounds like fun.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
This is not a group that cares a lot about public perception, even by the fans of the team aka the consumers.

I would guess they feel the numbers involved with "public perception" are so small that it's not worth caring about.

If it hadn't been for Smith this would have been an 8-1 game.

Kudos to DT for wanting the All Star Schmitty then! :laugh:

"Not emotionally engaged"
What????!!!!
I can't believe it!!
Im emotionally engaged!
Anybody else emotionally engaged?
Find out who isn't emotionally engaged and get rid of their a--.
Why would that comment even be made?

It may be a valid comment and dead nuts on as well. The addition of Burmistrov and his role may be hard for the boys to take.

Personally, I'm not emotionally engaged. We have to be making a stronger showing for me to be emotionally engaged. It's hard to even be analytically engaged because there are no answers for a team that has struggled so with such basic fundamentals.... at least not at this level.

Does all this mean I can stop trying to be one of the few attempting to keep the NHL in this market with season ticket purchases? The temptation to save the dollars has always been intriguing.

Dvo and Perlini need a third guy on that line that can keep up. They both have gone down the wing and then looked across to see no one as no one could keep up.

Burmi looks like a keeper, though. Hopefully we can get rid of 13.

The future has that.

We must practice having the puck roll off the stick because we do it well and often

Basic fundamental execution.

PerpetualTankYear

Doan 3:16
Mar 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ

Miss the playoffs for 10 years in a row, be the laughing stock of the league, fire coaches repeatedly, rack up first overall picks, rely on an 18 year old second-coming of Jesus to save your franchise and then make him capitan before he can grow facial hair.

The Edmonton model sounds awesome.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Miss the playoffs for 10 years in a row, be the laughing stock of the league, fire coaches repeatedly, rack up first overall picks, rely on an 18 year old second-coming of Jesus to save your franchise and then make him capitan before he can grow facial hair.

Doan worry, the coach isn't going anywhere. :laugh:

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City

and yet, many here subscribe to the bolded parts of that very theory, many of whom are now crucifying the current coach (but heaven forbid one points out "it might turn out like Edmonton")

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

Edmonton fired several coaches because they realized they were terrible, FYI.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Edmonton fired several coaches because they realized they were terrible, FYI.

On what basis were they terrible coaches? I am not sure the records would have been much different with another coach, given the roster. Todd's first year started off well and then McJesus got hurt. They went from 62 to 70 points, an 8 point improvement. This year, they have McJesus and Larson to anchor their team along with younger guys maturing. Were those other coaches that bad or is the roster just better now? Don't forget that the Sharks went to the finals the year after they shot Todd.

Tip took over the Coyotes when they had 79 points and turned that into a 107 point season with pretty much the same roster. That is a 28 point improvement. Coyotes didn't pick up a Larson and McJesus. TGO to Tip is an example of bad coach to good coach reflected in results.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
and yet, many here subscribe to the bolded parts of that very theory, many of whom are now crucifying the current coach (but heaven forbid one points out "it might turn out like Edmonton")

The Oilers problem was the same as ours, not enough good players. Coaches were the scape goats.I am not defending their coaches but they were given a bad hand (like Tip).

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014

I said "take a page from the Oilers Fans playbook. The fans hit the ceiling over the continued poor play, but kept the faith that it would improve.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Edmonton went through coaches because they couldn't fire the entire team at once. GM's stock talent.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I am of the opinion that a great coach can take a team the final mile to the promised land, but without enough talent on the ice a difference in coaching skill is rarely significant.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
On what basis were they terrible coaches? I am not sure the records would have been much different with another coach, given the roster. Todd's first year started off well and then McJesus got hurt. They went from 62 to 70 points, an 8 point improvement. This year, they have McJesus and Larson to anchor their team along with younger guys maturing. Were those other coaches that bad or is the roster just better now? Don't forget that the Sharks went to the finals the year after they shot Todd.

Tip took over the Coyotes when they had 79 points and turned that into a 107 point season with pretty much the same roster. That is a 28 point improvement. Coyotes didn't pick up a Larson and McJesus. TGO to Tip is an example of bad coach to good coach reflected in results.

Tip took over a team of established veterans and knew how to get the most of them. He was the right guy for that roster.

However the overwhelming point being made now is that the game is evolving and Tippett isn't adapting (or doesn't have the ability to adapt) to the changes in the game.

Having structure to the game is a good thing. But when it comes at the price of stifling, or holding back the talent to the point where the talent begins suffering then it doesn't make a difference how many Jack Adams awards the coach has.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Tip took over a team of established veterans and knew how to get the most of them. He was the right guy for that roster.

However the overwhelming point being made now is that the game is evolving and Tippett isn't adapting (or doesn't have the ability to adapt) to the changes in the game.

Having structure to the game is a good thing. But when it comes at the price of stifling, or holding back the talent to the point where the talent begins suffering then it doesn't make a difference how many Jack Adams awards the coach has.

I think we can question his personnel moves and whether he is "good" at communicating to the younger players, but I don't for a minute think the game has somehow passed him by and that he can't adapt to changes. He's just too sharp a hockey mind for that to be the case.... [MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014

Turning out like Edmonton still isn't realistic. Saying it will go poorly, or take longer than most think made and makes sense, but the oilers stretch of suck was and is an extremely unlikely situation that was brought on by leaving someone completely incompetent in charge for an insanely long period of time, rushing every top prospect into the lineup, getting no veteran talent, and missing on basically every draft pick that's not a number 1 OA (and even some of those). We'd have to be putrid for another long stretch while making no management moves, and ruin almost all of our prospects/draft like ****.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Agreed. Said similar before especially with regards to vets. If the Coyotes have 10 years of failure it will be for entirely different reasons.

Painful Quandary

Mar 22, 2015
California
Agreed. Said similar before especially with regards to vets. If the Coyotes have 10 years of failure it will be for entirely different reasons.

What's ironic is when Tom Renney was the coach of the Oilers, he wanted to play the vets more to insult the "kids," but management forced him the overplay the young players since that's who they were marketing. Now with Tippett, he overplays the vets and neglects young players.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

I don't know how anyone can think the game has changed so much and that Tip is not evolving. The game hasn't changed that much the last 5 years. Tip plays the same basic way/system that other coached deploy. If anything, mistakes are even more crucial now then they were 5 years ago.

On what basis is he stifling players and who is he holding back? Domi/Duclair had great years last year, this year Duclair is struggling. So Tip gets none of the credit for Duclair and his usage last year but this year his lack of production is Tip's fault? Martinook/Reider/Crouse are all improving rapidly. Chychrun has shown flashes of upside and DeAngelo has been pretty good too. Many young guys are improving quickly.

Our problem is our lack of talent at the NHL level. We have talent but much of it is not NHL ready. This is why we pick up guys on the waver wire that are cut from other clubs but play here. Until the young guys improve more and we sign a 1RHD, we won't be very good.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Tip plays the same basic way/system that other coached deploy.

I read this alot as some kind of magic bullet defense. If his system is interchangeable around the league, what's the big deal about keeping him? His excellent development history? That smile? The way he has gotten his team "emotionally engaged" for the past five years?

This is why we pick up guys on the waver wire that are cut from other clubs but play here.*
So the same irreplaceable guy did such a good job of assembling his roster this offseason and developing our talent, that players other teams castoff are able to improve our team? That's a stellar endorsement...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad