GDT: Game 42 - Oilers @ Coyotes - 1/12/16 - 7PM

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Well, I can't imagine how much it would suck to be an Oilers fan the last few years. Domi is world class, what else can you say and OEL is our best sniper, maybe the best D sniper in the NHL. A rare slap shot goal for him too!

I like the idea of Bods/OEL/Hanzal/Domi/Duclair on the PP, very dangerous unit. I am glad to see the PP looking better too. We out chanced them, a good sign for us and we came back from down 2, another good sign.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Wow. I could have slept through the first period but the rest of the game was something else. I thought that our team was fast, but man can Edmonton fly. Unfortunately for them they can't defend to save their lives.
We will need more speed, particularly on D.

Domi reached another level tonight, and not with his hat trick, but with his defense. He was a fiend with an incredibly quick stick. I am so enjoying this team!.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I hope when SniperHF or CC96 win the lottery and buy the Yotes they give me a nice office position. :D

I was planning on building an arena. Japanese motif, of course. everyone would have to take off their shoes and sit on their knees in the stands.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Anyone else catch when Tyson Nash referred to the Rieder/Oilers trade as a jedi mind trick by Don Maloney?

BrY3qDJIEAEQbgR.jpg

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Kyle Chipchura has looked surprisingly effective the last few games. Great board work. Feisty. Almost like he realizes he needs another contract.*

Also, I do not miss Klinkhammer and Korpikoski in the least.

*This is not an endorsement for a contract extension.

Spirit of Lindgren

Jan 1, 2016
Out of the last 100 Coyote games that Ive been to, this one was at or near the top in excitement.
I will NEVER forget this game, the comeback, the Domi hat trick, losing my favorite hat.
As a STH, I would like to apologize to Max Domi and the entire team for the over 5000 empty seats.
It is clear now that you guys are for real.
I can't wait till you get the support you deserve and am confident, my fellow hockey fans in the Phoenix area recognize this fact as well.
If they don't, you know what to do.
GREAT GAME TONIGHT!
We have a winner here now fellow fans!

Doohickie

Ft Worth (from Bflo)
Feb 16, 2013
Took both our rookies less than 50 games to score hat tricks. This is legit

I think league-wide, this whole rookie class is generational. They're seriously going to change the league. And the Coyotes have a couple of the best ones.

Oh, and.... you're username is incredibly appropriate tonight.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
The Oilers have pathetic mental fortitude. Talk about a team with a lack of leadership. Their calling card for years has been their ability to fold when games get tough and they still haven't done anything about it. They're so lucky they got McDavid

Doohickie

Ft Worth (from Bflo)
Feb 16, 2013
The Oilers have pathetic mental fortitude. Talk about a team with a lack of leadership. Their calling card for years has been their ability to fold when games get tough and they still haven't done anything about it. They're so lucky they got McDavid

And they'll ruin McDavid too if they don't get some quality veteran forwards to lead him and teach him. That's been their problem- all kinds of talent but no one to show them the way.

Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
Good game tonight 'Yotes folks. Wish I could say the same for our squad. Cant get enough of watching Domi - even if he's torching us and im throwing my hat over it.

Cheers

PerpetualTankYear

Doan 3:16
Mar 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Wtf is happening?!? We're over half way into the year AND ITS STILL FUN. We don't completely suck, we don't get pissed off when we score a goal, and we actually talk about the game in the GDT instead of how we can't wait for the draft.

I like this, but did not see this coming in September.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Wtf is happening?!? We're over half way into the year AND ITS STILL FUN. We don't completely suck, we don't get pissed off when we score a goal, and we actually talk about the game in the GDT instead of how we can't wait for the draft.

Rookies, some luck, and a bad division kept the team afloat long enough for the traditional mid season rise to actually matter. It wasn't a textbook win, though. Really sloppy until Domi took over the game via the Oilers committing a bunch of penalties.

My only complaint right now is Vermette. While everybody else is surging, he's still really struggling.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Catching up on Gamecenter.

Love, love, love Klinkhammer's overreaction to getting high-sticked by Dahlbeck and Chip skating by slashing his stick away and cursing him out. "That was ****ing bull****" ... just gotta get the FSA camera guys to zoom in quicker. Can't read lips from the wide angle view.

Draisaitl's a beast. Still don't think I'd have jumped on the 3OA-for-Draisaitl or 3OA-and-30OA-for-Draisaitl-and-16OA trade offers that were kicking around these boards pre-draft, but he's a beast. Another pro hockey son, big, strong, skilled ... guy's got it all. But he got beasted in the face-off circle by Doan in OT. Just cross check/pushed out. Beasted. Knocked to his knees. <3 the captain.

Max hat trick. It's unbelievable how special this kid is. First goal on a silly lucky blocked-shot-turned-pass from Stone. OEL's dipsy doodle toe drag on Max's 2nd was unreal. Third one reminded me of the goal Domi scored in TOR way back at the start of the year ... just take the puck and skate it up and go score. That's some good. If Brendan Perlini and Dylan Strome show up with those same skills, look out.

2nd goal against was just perfect execution + some luck on Schultz and Ming never saw the third. Thought he played a good game overall. Impressed how the team reacted to being down 2 in the third period.

Even without McDavid, EDM looked a lot less completely incompetent than usual.

Last edited:

Doohickie

Ft Worth (from Bflo)
Feb 16, 2013
My only complaint right now is Vermette. While everybody else is surging, he's still really struggling.

You never have a team where all the players are peaking at the same time. Vermette's past that point in his career. I suspect his contributions come more in the locker room and bench than on the ice.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Wow. I could have slept through the first period but the rest of the game was something else. I thought that our team was fast, but man can Edmonton fly. Unfortunately for them they can't defend to save their lives.
We will need more speed, particularly on D.

Domi reached another level tonight, and not with his hat trick, but with his defense. He was a fiend with an incredibly quick stick. I am so enjoying this team!.

I second that. I think we are as fast as anyone up front, but your right, our D has to be a little faster. I think Dom with his puck handling has helped the D quite a bit. I love it when he handles the puck but a couple of times it got him in trouble, but overall he is better than Smith at it.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Kyle Chipchura has looked surprisingly effective the last few games. Great board work. Feisty. Almost like he realizes he needs another contract.*

I don't miss them either. In my opinion, Chip has had a very solid year. Most times he is used where he belongs.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I like this, but did not see this coming in September.

:laugh: I'm still waiting for the prolonged slump. I called this team to be in the bottom 5. I really don't care where they end up, I just enjoy watching them play and having fun.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
You never have a team where all the players are peaking at the same time. Vermette's past that point in his career. I suspect his contributions come more in the locker room and bench than on the ice.

True, but Vermette has struggled for most of the year. He still has the talent to play much better than he is currently.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014

What, you don't miss the flying brick?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad