GDT: | Game #42 | Jan 25th 1900hrs EST | Desert Dogs vs Iceberg Dogs

Which is better:

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I just hope that whoever is reffing this game actually know that a hit to the head that breaks someone's jaw should be a penalty (Blueger), or that when a player is tripped (same play as Blueger's injury but on Boyle) it's a penalty or when a player is ran into the boards directly through the numbers is supposed to be a penalty. Because the guys working the game on Sunday sure had no clue what the NHL rule book says. It doesn't help that the NHL can look at the hit on McGinn and think...yeah 100% numbers is okay. Or even worse look at Blueger getting his jaw broken and think...."Yeah, clean hockey hit"

*rolls Wheel of Shitty Meathead NHL Excuses*

Ahhh looks like it landed on... "That's just how physics work, bro! It's a fast paced game!"

Sorry about your luck.

Reactions: RSPens

Victor Z

Trade me right f**king now!
Sponsor
Apr 10, 2018
The Burgh
I just hope that whoever is reffing this game actually know that a hit to the head that breaks someone's jaw should be a penalty (Blueger), or that when a player is tripped (same play as Blueger's injury but on Boyle) it's a penalty or when a player is ran into the boards directly through the numbers is supposed to be a penalty. Because the guys working the game on Sunday sure had no clue what the NHL rule book says. It doesn't help that the NHL can look at the hit on McGinn and think...yeah 100% numbers is okay. Or even worse look at Blueger getting his jaw broken and think...."Yeah, clean hockey hit"

That was Dean Morton (the Pens** so warmly greeted him after the game), #2 on the list of perennial Penguin-hating refs in the NHL behind only the execrable Wes McCauley.

** Teddy Blueger was unavailable for the handshake line.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
No excuse on the Blueger hit. McGinn turned into that hit from behind.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
*looks outside at a foot of snow while flexing his sore back from hand shoveling entire driveway*

Oh stuff it.
tenor_1.gif

yom1Wja.gif

Send it my way!

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
That was Dean Morton (the Pens** so warmly greeted him after the game), #2 on the list of perennial Penguin-hating refs in the NHL behind only the execrable Wes McCauley.

These guys literally keep lists. Don't anyone ever forget that.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
No excuse on the Blueger hit. McGinn turned into that hit from behind.
I can maybe give you that, but the league has called that play checking from behind hundreds if not thousands of time before. Normally, I kind of agree and think that a player needs to be responsible for their positioning, but the oncoming player is also responsible for their hit. When you see the numbers (especially a foot away from the boards) you don't make that hit. You tie the guy up and pin him to the boards. Whatever the refs missed some very obvious by the book calls and then the league pretended the game never happened. If the league officials ever wonder why hockey isn't more popular...its things like this.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I can maybe give you that, but the league has called that play checking from behind hundreds if not thousands of time before. Normally, I kind of agree and think that a player needs to be responsible for their positioning, but the oncoming player is also responsible for their hit. When you see the numbers (especially a foot away from the boards) you don't make that hit. You tie the guy up and pin him to the boards. Whatever the refs missed some very obvious by the book calls and then the league pretended the game never happened. If the league officials ever wonder why hockey isn't more popular...its things like this.

*spins Wheel again*

Ahhhh a favorite of mine... this one from the fans and not the league -- "Yeah well... you don't ACKCHYUALLY want the refs calling EVERYTHING do you?!? There would be a powerplay every minute of the game! It's called "game management" and Colin Campbell told me all about it. Learn hockey. This isn't frikkin' Ice Capades!"

RSPens

May 25, 2015

The thing is...there are two refs and apparently neither of them saw the hit on Blueger...and when you consider the fact that Blueger has just passed the puck a moment earlier...neither of them were even watching the puck. But it is what is. I reffed one season and I get that it is impossible to see everything all the time. So I don't really fault the refs. The biggest issue is the DoPS watches a shoulder go straight through a jaw and thinks its clean. Yeah...us meatheads that bleed hockey aren't going away because of one incident like this. But good luck attracting new fans if this BS continues.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
Honestly that's 100% where I'm at, anymore.

When is the last time a Penguin Superman'd himself into someone's head along the boards then shrugged and skated off?

High road ain't workin' man.
It's ridiculous...even when the leagues favorite "Please don't pick on him" Tom Wilson broke ZAR's jaw he got a couple playoff games and that hit wasn't even as obviously a head shot as this one was. But you are right about the "Wheel of Just-ice" used by the DoPS.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
It's ridiculous...even when the leagues favorite "Please don't pick on him" Tom Wilson broke ZAR's jaw he got a couple playoff games and that hit wasn't even as obviously a head shot as this one was. But you are right about the "Wheel of Just-ice" used by the DoPS.

The DoPS is probably the top reason I don't take this league very seriously at all and never miss an opportunity to needle how f***ing stupid and backward they are.

When you put a former predatory goon and Colin Campbell in charge of "player safety" you might as well just come right out and laugh in the the fans' faces. Which... again... many of which actually DEFEND the league's behavior. Though I've noticed the last couple years people are finally starting to come around a bit on what a laughingstock it all is. Since it isn't just Penguins getting brained routinely anymore.

Reactions: Andy99 and RSPens

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Why is Sully such an idiot when it comes to the three stooges of ZAR, Simon and Boyle?

Big Z and even Angello should be in there ahead of Simon and Boyle. It was so predictable that Sully would start these garbage players ahead of Wbs guys this season, but that’s what happens when you set your lines before the season starts, and refuse to make any adjustments.

These turds continue to block AHL guys, which I was assured wouldn’t happen when they were signed.

Last edited:

RSPens

May 25, 2015
The DoPS is probably the top reason I don't take this league very seriously at all and never miss an opportunity to needle how f***ing stupid and backward they are.

When you put a former predatory goon and Colin Campbell in charge of "player safety" you might as well just come right out and laugh in the the fans' faces. Which... again... many of which actually DEFEND the league's behavior. Though I've noticed the last couple years people are finally starting to come around a bit on what a laughingstock it all is. Since it isn't just Penguins getting brained routinely anymore.
I mean Pronger used to have the job, so...obviously the league thinks its an important position. :rolleyes:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I came back to that. 18" of snow went unshoveled until I got back. Some melted. Some did not. I chopped enough ice to make a rink.

Yeah I was actually out of town during the snow and came back home to the entire driveway (which is not unsubstantial as I live on a small farm) buried under like a foot.

I thought about setting up a small rink for shits since it's been years since I've done that. But by the time I was done getting all that snow moved I was ready for a drink and perhaps a mild heart attack or two.

I mean Pronger used to have the job, so...obviously the league thinks its an important position. :rolleyes:

Quintal, too! All such obvious arbiters of safety and clean play!

For real though Shanny at least seemed to want to TRY. That's probably why he didn't last long.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The thing is...there are two refs and apparently neither of them saw the hit on Blueger...and when you consider the fact that Blueger has just passed the puck a moment earlier...neither of them were even watching the puck. But it is what is. I reffed one season and I get that it is impossible to see everything all the time. So I don't really fault the refs. The biggest issue is the DoPS watches a shoulder go straight through a jaw and thinks its clean. Yeah...us meatheads that bleed hockey aren't going away because of one incident like this. But good luck attracting new fans if this BS continues.

Congrats on doing a thankless job.

And you're not wrong.

But beyond the DoPS being a problem, if the league cared, they could have Toronto butting in on this. The video room there told the refs a goal had gone in for Caps vs Sens in real time, they could tell the refs they've missed a penalty too, even if they reserved it only for serious foul play (i.e. headshots). But the league doesn't want to try and get officiating right, and it doesn't want to take foul play seriously, and as much as I love watching hockey if the NHL went bankrupt tomorrow I'd cheer.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I’m going to the dog park for the first period again….gonna do it until we lose…which still could be tonight…hopefully the boys aren’t underestimating the Yotes like you guys are lol..

Reactions: 3ladesof5teel

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
Top Three Gameday Trending Topics of the Keyboard Experts

1. Rumored Fourth Line (Logic missing as far as defensive and prospect development.
2. Previous Game's Refereeing and League Conspiracies
3. Goaltending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad