Post-Game Talk: GAME 42 - In the end 5 points on the trip - BRUINS 4 Blues 3 F/OT

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I love Charlie McAvoy.

Note to St. Louis: when you flop numerous times trying to draw calls the refs typically will ignore borderline penalties because you cried wolf one too many times
No kidding. That flop to draw the “interference” call on HL27 was egregious.

its becoming a more common practice around the league. As a big soccer fan, Bettman needs to do something, and quickly.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I watched it all and have a few thoughts. One, they have to improve the pk. Carlo's return should help, but they need to be better.
Two, the Too many men was just awful. According to Don cherry no less. "it is always on the coach." That brings me to the glorious Monty. I do not like him whatsoever. He never takes responsibility for anything. He rarely tweaks anything. He pushes the players, but otherwise, he is just sort of there. A famous former coach around here used to say: "Gotta play better, gotta coach better." He meant it. I don't think that kind of accountability exists in Monty's world. His regular season record is great, but the culture here is very... unfocused, sometimes a bit selfish, and very hit or miss, and that's on Monty.

Anyway, first ten minutes were very bad; the next 40 were very good, and the last 12:36 were so-so. Overall, I will take it. One other thought, 11 and 74 should not play on the same line. They are too much alike. They have talent but their hockey I.Q. is not good and it leads to defensive confusion. They also both coast and "swoop" quite a bit, especially 74. That said, 74 had his bad shifts, but recovered and had a good game, kind of like the team. (However, I will not cry any tears when 74 departs.)

PK problems, yes. That tying goal for the Blues was horrible. Shot from the center of the blue line, the only player between him and Swayman was the Blues player right at the top of the crease. Lohrei standing a couple feet away apparently thinking about post game beers.

Too many men on the ice is never the coach's fault. Grapes said that to spare his players. Its not like there is a starting gate on the bench and the coach press a button to open it.

its becoming a more common practice around the league. As a big soccer fan, Bettman needs to do something, and quickly.

Blame Bill Barber.

Reactions: DKH and KWbruin

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Watched this morning on DVR.

Good to see them bank two points and salvage the trip.

It’s going to be a slog with this team. As @Fenway has said, they are most likely going to be passed by Florida and end up finishing second or third in the division.

They will be able to get by during the regular season when Pastrnak, Marchand, and McAvoy chipping on the scoreboard.

They do not have the secondary scoring to compete in the playoffs.

Still, as Felger would say, at least we get a hockey season.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Got my attention lol

Hope you are correct - we will know when he’s offered a multi year deal this summer and see what he does
Not worried at all. Good for JS for AllStar selection and playing well enough to have a chance to fire one back (arbitration sucks).

Beyond that? Total non story in my book. He‘s just leveraging position and venting a sting, as he should given his results.

Reactions: Gordoff and Ladyfan

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
After a win I check out this thread and it’s pretty much upbeat and posts about the game

They lose in regulation or overtime and is Gordon Haywood & his sad trumbones discussing how they are boring and soft and longing for the good old days

Great post

Sway will sign long term I’m confident- but whatever they said clearly bothered him
Misery loves company is evident in and proven by HFBoards if my time here has taught me anything.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere

They already met about it years back and the solution was when in doubt call them both. They figured this would both crack down on the infractions and also the embellishments, while also hopefully making the embellisher "feel shame" and stop doing it. It hasn't worked, like many rules, because it hasn't been enforced.

Thefours

Feb 27, 2022
A most satisfying win to end the night; still can't wipe out the bad memories of 2019. Know Freddy wanted to pot one in his hometown but thought everyone wanted too as well. They all had good jump and a desire to win. Seems like Freddy got a lot of minutes, including OT. Initially thought Monty gave him minutes because it was in St. Louis; but maybe not, since his priority is on winning. Good stretch of games coming up, so hope the boys get some good home cooking and rest.

Reactions: BMC

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
They already met about it years back and the solution was when in doubt call them both. They figured this would both crack down on the infractions and also the embellishments, while also hopefully making the embellisher "feel shame" and stop doing it. It hasn't worked, like many rules, because it hasn't been enforced.
Exactly. I remember when they started with a few embellishment calls a few years back.

Needs to be amped up significantly. This year there is a real uptick. I can list off at least 4 clear instances in games I’ve seen over the last 10 days. Definitely needs a clear response from the League before it becomes “eh, players always try to milk calls”.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
I agree with Barry Pederson here

Frederic-Zacha-Pastrnak

Try it out
Didn't they tray that for a few shifts in October or am I getting old?

Exactly. I remember when they started with a few embellishment calls a few years back.

Needs to be amped up significantly. This year there is a real uptick. I can list off at least 4 clear instances in games I’ve seen over the last 10 days. Definitely needs a clear response from the League before it becomes “eh, players always try to milk calls”.
Soccer on Ice!

Reactions: Gordoff and BMC

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
Just listening to Marshy post game interview sounds like he has a cold or maybe getting over one.
Also Steen is a career Ahler I don't see much he brings to this team.
And last Lohrei has to learn how to take the body and quit reaching for the puck for a stick check.
When I saw Lohrei play in college he basically did whatever he wanted. One game I saw him behind the opposing net very late in a tie game. He was so good offensively they just let him go.
The problem is that moving to play defense later in is career and still being allowed to roam to create offense he didn't seem to be pushed on the finer points of defense as he is now.
Being able to fine tune his defense without hurting his offensive DNA will be a challenge, but I think what he offers will help the team even if he never turns into Carlo defensively.

Reactions: duffy

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
Swayman’s quote about his arbitration case in the summer after the game tonight makes for a good gut punch. Won’t be a discount for him if he wants to stay.
Why did I think it was a gut punch? Of course they are going to sign him long term. And I have no doubt he wants to be here. Maybe it won’t be a discount but who cares. He’s one of the best in the league right now. He deserves it.

Reactions: TP70BruinsCup

JerseyBruin

May 29, 2019

That was one of the weaker interference calls you'll see all year. Reminded me of a college hoops blocking foul where the offensive player drives into the defender to try and get a call.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Misery loves company is evident in and proven by HFBoards if my time here has taught me anything.
It's nothing more or less than what being a true fan is and what the board is all about.

Some of the high and mighty know it alls are pretty entertaining as well with lecturing posters on their reactions and comments during games as if they know any better. They THINK they do but in reality we are all just sitting watching and reacting.

I love it and hope it never changes, if it did Im gone

BruinsJoe

Sep 29, 2020
Solide win great effort...but the 4th line s not enough good for nhl, maybe Beecher if he wake up and play physical banger type of hockey but in other way Bruins need a 4th line generate energy physical hard nose identity...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad