Post-Game Talk: GAME 42 - In the end 5 points on the trip - BRUINS 4 Blues 3 F/OT

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I love that McAvoy just drove the net and finished the game off himself with a quality shot in OT. Could have deferred to Pasta on the 2-on-1 and it may have all gone pear-shaped, but he backed himself to get it done. Great to see.

Two of Monty's real strengths seem to be an ability to get the team up and in the contest night after night, and to find ways to get his players to generate at least some sort of decent offense no matter who's in or out of the roster. We've seen both across this road trip. It's very rare that the Bruins are completely blown out or disinterested in a game, and while the production goes up and down, the team's usually capable of scoring at least something that will keep them in the hunt, even when some guys are missing and no matter how the lines shape up. Losing Pasta would of course be the ultimate test of that, but regardless, it's a credit to the players how consistent they are and to the coach who continues to marshal his troops well. I don't agree with everything Monty does, and playoffs are a different beast, but there's no arguing with his regular season record.

Little bit of a silly comment from Swayman. Smacks a bit of entitlement. You got paid $3.4 mil because you're good at stopping a piece of rubber. You can cop a little criticism and adversity for the privilege. Don't think there's much in it though. Sway seems to be one of those guys who likes to have a bit of a chip on his shoulder and something to spur him on. If nursing a grievance or a disagreement makes him play better, well and good.

5 points from a possible 8 on a big and pretty tough trip is a good return. But the grind doesn't stop. Back to the Garden we go.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Nice to see the win in OT this time, this was a tough trip. I hope the injured are getting closer to returning. I finally picked them for the Pickem, thank you boys :)

I think Sway was just saying he believes in himself, no matter what was said, but he has to prove himself. Take his words however you want but we will never know. He is a feisty guy and that is okay.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
After a win I check out this thread and it’s pretty much upbeat and posts about the game

They lose in regulation or overtime and is Gordon Haywood & his sad trumbones discussing how they are boring and soft and longing for the good old days

I love that McAvoy just drove the net and finished the game off himself with a quality shot in OT. Could have deferred to Pasta on the 2-on-1 and it may have all gone pear-shaped, but he backed himself to get it done. Great to see.

Two of Monty's real strengths seem to be an ability to get the team up and in the contest night after night, and to find ways to get his players to generate at least some sort of decent offense no matter who's in or out of the roster. We've seen both across this road trip. It's very rare that the Bruins are completely blown out or disinterested in a game, and while the production goes up and down, the team's usually capable of scoring at least something that will keep them in the hunt, even when some guys are missing and no matter how the lines shape up. Losing Pasta would of course be the ultimate test of that, but regardless, it's a credit to the players how consistent they are and to the coach who continues to marshal his troops well. I don't agree with everything Monty does, and playoffs are a different beast, but there's no arguing with his regular season record.

Little bit of a silly comment from Swayman. Smacks a bit of entitlement. You got paid $3.4 mil because you're good at stopping a piece of rubber. You can cop a little criticism and adversity for the privilege. Don't think there's much in it though. Sway seems to be one of those guys who likes to have a bit of a chip on his shoulder and something to spur him on. If nursing a grievance or a disagreement makes him play better, well and good.

5 points from a possible 8 on a big and pretty tough trip is a good return. But the grind doesn't stop. Back to the Garden we go.
Great post

Sway will sign long term I’m confident- but whatever they said clearly bothered him

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
I watched it all and have a few thoughts. One, they have to improve the pk. Carlo's return should help, but they need to be better.
Two, the Too many men was just awful. According to Don cherry no less. "it is always on the coach." That brings me to the glorious Monty. I do not like him whatsoever. He never takes responsibility for anything. He rarely tweaks anything. He pushes the players, but otherwise, he is just sort of there. A famous former coach around here used to say: "Gotta play better, gotta coach better." He meant it. I don't think that kind of accountability exists in Monty's world. His regular season record is great, but the culture here is very... unfocused, sometimes a bit selfish, and very hit or miss, and that's on Monty.

Anyway, first ten minutes were very bad; the next 40 were very good, and the last 12:36 were so-so. Overall, I will take it. One other thought, 11 and 74 should not play on the same line. They are too much alike. They have talent but their hockey I.Q. is not good and it leads to defensive confusion. They also both coast and "swoop" quite a bit, especially 74. That said, 74 had his bad shifts, but recovered and had a good game, kind of like the team. (However, I will not cry any tears when 74 departs.)

Reactions: Gordoff

aguineapig72

Jun 28, 2023
Sway will sign long term I’m confident- but whatever they said clearly bothered him
Reading between the red and blue lines what I hear is: "The guys I work with are all great, the guy in my department is like a brother to me. Sometimes I could just hug him. The management are a bunch of clowns though. The run the place on a shoestring and my department has to bust our ass and work tons of overtime just to keep us afloat. I asked for a raise and they said you have to up your game and maybe we'll talk at your next review. They can kiss my ass".

Management responds

1705235068304.png

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
He got a taste of the business side of hockey and didn’t like it. Being picked apart in arbitration is what happens. If he wasn't prepared for the process, that is on his agent.

It’s clear Sway is emotional and spoke off the cuff without further clarification. I would hope one of the beatwriters plan to ask him to elaborate further.
Its hard hearing your flaws and an emotional young kid can take it hard. We all say its part of the business but it still hurts. I wish the league and PA could come up with a better system

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
I was pleased over all with the play of a depleted Bruin line up , I liked DeBrusk and Fredric 's game thought they played well together. The return of Forbort and Carlo can not happen quick enough for the Bruin D . In particular on the PK. On a positive for the Bruin D love McAvoy's compete and effort. I am pleasantly pleased with Wotherspon's play

Concessionaire

That could have gone better.
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2003
New Orleans
My perspective on the non-call trip in OT is that Pasta doesn’t stick out his foot or even really move into the skater’s path. The Blues player kinda just skates into Pasta’s leg and falls.

I know it sounds like I’m making excuses, but I think Pasta is entitled to his space on the ice and you can't just run into him and expect a call.

With that being said, we often see that called a penalty. Brad in particular is good at drawing that kind of tripping call when he’s dipsy-doodling around the offensive zone.

bruins19

Aug 11, 2005
I love Charlie McAvoy.

Note to St. Louis: when you flop numerous times trying to draw calls the refs typically will ignore borderline penalties because you cried wolf one too many times
Hurt them in OT as the refs did not call Pasta’s trip. Bad non-call, but we have been on the receiving end of enough of those. Given the flopping and prior bad reffing against us, I gladly take it and chalk it up to Karma.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Yea Swayman could do that for sure but If Bruins give him solid offer he might stay as well.Far as Linus I just hope any new deals they do not add any full NMC .
I don’t know any relationship or close friendships that I haven’t seen worked out that didn’t involve infidelity

I’m sure ‘you proved me wrong’ and I’ll back up my words can be resolved

You can always get a message across without negative reinforcement

Swayman ain’t no different than you and me - he’s got insecurities and feelings

Please don’t give me ‘he needs to be mentally tougher’. I’m in my 60’s heard this a hundred of times from family, friends and coworkers and inwardly chuckle because 99.9999% they are thin-skinned and would lash out, need therapy, ask everyone they know if it’s true, or go into the fetal position if you so much gave them the littlest criticism

Also these teams invest huge resources into professionals in mental health, counseling, and positive reinforcement and to save a few bucks they go all negative?

I would not give them what they want but the message can always be reached without perceived personal attacks

bruins19

Aug 11, 2005
Reading between the red and blue lines what I hear is: "The guys I work with are all great, the guy in my department is like a brother to me. Sometimes I could just hug him. The management are a bunch of clowns though. The run the place on a shoestring and my department has to bust our ass and work tons of overtime just to keep us afloat. I asked for a raise and they said you have to up your game and maybe we'll talk at your next review. They can kiss my ass".

Management responds

View attachment 802918
It’s not Sonny. Sonny dies at the toll booth long before Michael takes over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad