Post-Game Talk: GAME 42 - BRUINS make a statement - BRUINS 4 Toronto 3 F

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
BTW - I want to thank the HF Bruins community for staying away from HF Leafs during and after the game.

A few seasons ago I changed our GDT to BRUINS GDT to try to weed out the 416 crowd and it seems to have worked.

I can not fathom the frustration that Leafs' fans have endured. Not only have they not won a Cup in 56 years, but they also haven't even made the SCF in that time. Since then they have seen the Blue Jays win the World Series twice and the Raptors winning the NBA.

@DominicT - I trace the Leafs' downfall to ignoring a 12-year-old from Parry Sound who would have signed a card with the Leafs in a heartbeat.
I know enough Leaf fans personally even related to some ,why would I want to seek more out on here,usually just stay away from hockey talk with them ,
That was a fun one, but man does Toronto make me nervous. It’s like they can turn seemingly anything into a scoring chance.

I know it’s probably blasphemous to say around these parts, but I hate that team more than the Habs. I have a healthy respect for their skill, but I absolutely detest them.
I’m with you on this.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
The Bruins needed to win this game more than the Leafs and believe me the Leafs needed it but....

The Bruins knew a regulation win would give them a lead for A1 that they are unlikely to relinquish. Losing tonight would have given the Leafs some hope

Losing 3-0 to Seattle to break the point streak at home was not a fluke as the Kraken had a historic road trip.

I worked on the HNIC feed tonight - Sportsnet suits are in full panic mode as the only way they make money on the Canadian TV contract if with a Leafs' run.
I was also thinking that a Bruins loss might get into the B's heads a bit, like, sending them into maybe the start of a losing streak that I've been waiting for / expecting for weeks now. Big win for you guys, definitely a blow to the hope we had of catching you.

The reason I came here - Why did the Bruins jerseys look so good last night, is that your third jersey? They're beautiful, especially with the gloves and the goalies equipment.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
I was also thinking that a Bruins loss might get into the B's heads a bit, like, sending them into maybe the start of a losing streak that I've been waiting for / expecting for weeks now. Big win for you guys, definitely a blow to the hope we had of catching you.

The reason I came here - Why did the Bruins jerseys look so good last night, is that your third jersey? They're beautiful, especially with the gloves and the goalies equipment.
Winter Classic jersey

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Saying the Leafs passed on him confused me. Orr was never drafted, Bruins signed him when he was 14.

Did the Leafs scout him and decide not to offer him a contract?
The draft did not exist yet when the Bruins signed Orr. Back then, NHL teams automatically owned the rights to any player who lived within 50 miles of the home arena - whether they had signed a “C-Form” or not. Since Orr lived more than 50 miles from Maple Leaf Gardens, he was fair game for any NHL team to sign. Back in the late ‘50s/early ‘60s the Leafs had a massive network of scouts and feeder teams in Ontario and throughout the rest of Canada that left no stone unturned. Perhaps saying that the Leafs “passed” on Orr is a bit harsh, but Orr and his parents were free to negotiate with any NHL team they wished, and there is no way Toronto hadn’t at least heard of him. To the best of my knowledge, the Maple Leafs never even made an offer to Bobby Orr.

The Bruins were in rough shape when Orr came to town in 1966, and I truly believe he saved the Bruins from going belly-up. But that’s another topic.

The rest is history.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Matthews wants to taunt the TD garden crowd after he scores a goal? Take your Ron Jeremy mustache and chew on this loss on your way home. Cocky *****.
He probably does the same "thing" that Jeremy was known for to self-soothe after yet another big loss.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
The draft did not exist yet when the Bruins signed Orr. Back then, NHL teams automatically owned the rights to any player who lived within 50 miles of the home arena - whether they had signed a “C-Form” or not. Since Orr lived more than 50 miles from Maple Leaf Gardens, he was fair game for any NHL team to sign. Back in the late ‘50s/early ‘60s the Leafs had a massive network of scouts and feeder teams in Ontario and throughout the rest of Canada that left no stone unturned. Perhaps saying that the Leafs “passed” on Orr is a bit harsh, but Orr and his parents were free to negotiate with any NHL team they wished, and there is no way Toronto hadn’t at least heard of him. To the best of my knowledge, the Maple Leafs never even made an offer to Bobby Orr.

The Bruins were in rough shape when Orr came to town in 1966, and I truly believe he saved the Bruins from going belly-up. But that’s another topic.

The rest is history.

I know the Bruins were the first team to contact Orr's family when he was just 12 years-old, having seen him play when their scouts were looking at two older players in the same game.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
1673803464401.png

pgm16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2010
St. John's NL

The rest is history.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
That was a fun one, but man does Toronto make me nervous. It’s like they can turn seemingly anything into a scoring chance.

I know it’s probably blasphemous to say around these parts, but I hate that team more than the Habs. I have a healthy respect for their skill, but I absolutely detest them.
I agree with you in a way but it would help if we ever played Montreal anymore.

Reactions: CrownofThornton

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts

This is absolute gold right here.

Mr. Davidson had absolutely no idea just how intent Hap Emms (Bruins scout) was on signing Orr - tender age or not. The Bruins were foundering and were desperate for any relief they could get.

Whomever this Mr. Gilchrist was, he was definitely trying to tip the Maple Leafs off to “Bob” Orr and wanted to see him in a Toronto uniform. But, as my father used to say; “he who hesitates is lost.”

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
I watched the game on Sportsnet, eventually with the volume muted and listened to music. Each time I watch this it only confirms to me there is a higher up anti Bruin agenda with some Canadian TV media.

Craig Simpson went on and on about the non call on Ullmark and the Krecji fantom tap of the glove but ignored the skate incident. As did all the sports news channels with the game hi-lites.

The Sportnet panel to thier credit rightfully dismissed the stick throw but never mentioned the kicking incident or why the Bruins players were after Bunting.

Fred Flinstone head Friedman whined about the non stick call during the after show and only that. They all had the skate footage, image if it was Marchand that did that. They simply ignored it or were told too.

Last edited:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Reactions: rfournier103

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
Can't look past the Flyers, they've won 7 of their last 8 games.

But, statistical history favors Jeremy Swayman tomorrow:

Swayman's last twelve games at TD Garden
10-0-2 ; 2.02 GAA ; .921 Sv%

Swayman career in day games
9-4-1 ; 1.97 GAA ; .927 Sv%

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad