GDT: Game 41: Let's make it an official streak! Preds @ Wings - 4.8 - 6:30p

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
I didn't mean they're good just not necessarily an easy win but they were definitely the earlier version of the team. And I'm okay with that.

They really don't. I know "don't pass the puck in front of the net" is a thing for fans but definitely not a thing for coaches and players. It's quite literally the way Hynes has set up the breakouts and works much better than the throw it up the boards or ice it solution we've watched for years.

It seems like a vast majority of fans had their minds made up before he coached a game. All because Poile didn't get some big name also ran coach.
Its gonna burn our asses with a faster team...like oh TBL or CAR for examples.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Do we like Hynes now? Like what the hell is going on?

In basketball, coaches will often deliberately take a technical or even get themselves ejected to fire up their team. I realize giving up a PP in hockey is potentially more damaging, especially given that the game was 2-1 at the time, but I would like to see this happen more often. Those refs deserved a good cussing. That call was idiotic. And I think the team responded to Hynes standing up for them

Reactions: bdub24

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
In basketball, coaches will often deliberately take a technical or even get themselves ejected to fire up their team. I realize giving up a PP in hockey is potentially more damaging, especially given that the game was 2-1 at the time, but I would like to see this happen more often. Those refs deserved a good cussing. That call was idiotic. And I think the team responded to Hynes standing up for them
Yep if I'm a player I'll take that PK in that situation all day every day. Not only was the drop down to 2 minutes BS but us ending up on the PP from it was too.

TBH if I'm Hynes I get tossed after the 2 minute penalty call. I'd probably be on the ice after them.

Reactions: bdub24 and PredsV82

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
It seems like a vast majority of fans had their minds made up before he coached a game. All because Poile didn't get some big name also ran coach.

No offense, buy Hynes was a no name and he was also an also ran which made the hire really puzzling. He did get results a bit better than Lavi was getting before COVID set in. But uwhere he really lost me was playing Saros all 4 games against Arizona. That was just stupid. Then earlier this year when Saros was hurt he literally rode Rinne until he just fell apart, which was also really dumb and not fair to Pekka.

But if I can blame him when things suck I can admit he deserves credit now that things are going well. He has turned this season around dramatically and has earned the right to see it through.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Like Hynes or not he has turned this team around and not exactly under the best circumstances either. If he gets fault for the early play then he has to get some credit for the play of late.

I haven't been his biggest fan but maybe the guy is learning and adjusting his style and approach.

I think we can all agree that Trotz learned and adjusted things between here and Washington and I'm sure he did between there and New York. Now certain things will always be hallmarks of a Trotz run team but alot of people thought him and Ovi would never work.

Maybe we get lucky with Hynes, maybe we don't, but him being fired isn't going to happen after this season.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Like Hynes or not he has turned this team around and not exactly under the best circumstances either. If he gets fault for the early play then he has to get some credit for the play of late.

I haven't been his biggest fan but maybe the guy is learning and adjusting his style and approach.

I think we can all agree that Trotz learned and adjusted things between here and Washington and I'm sure he did between there and New York. Now certain things will always be hallmarks of a Trotz run team but alot of people thought him and Ovi would never work.

Maybe we get lucky with Hynes, maybe we don't, but him being fired isn't going to happen after this season.
Saros has.
.89 to .930 doesn't happen simply by a coach turning a switch on the team. Saros was the switch and still is. This cinderella run is going to come crashing down if we double down on it more.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Saros has.
.89 to .930 doesn't happen simply by a coach turning a switch on the team. Saros was the switch and still is. This cinderella run is going to come crashing down if we double down on it more.
Saros has played well for sure but the team in front of him has played a heck of a lot better as well. He hasn't exactly stopped kicking out those rebounds, but we have done a heck of a lot better clearing that mess out when he does.

He also didn't score 7 goals tonight and isn't the reason our PP stopped being a complete and total waste of time.

He also has benefited greatly from the team getting its act together on the turnover front and just playing a better structured game. Guys have also been putting their butts on the line to block shots.

Saros deserves a ton of credit, but there are aspects of this teams play that have gotten better that he doesn't have a thing in the world to do with.

Last edited:

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Saros has played well for sure but the team in front of him has played a heck of a lot better as well. He hasn't exactly stopped kicking out those rebounds, but we have done a heck of a lot better clearing that mess out when he does.

He also didn't score 7 goals tonight and isn't the reason our PP stopped being a complete and total waste of time.

He also has benefited greatly from the team getting its act together on the turnover front and just playing a better structured game. Guys have also been putting their butts on the line to block shots.

Saros deserves a ton of credit, but there are aspects of this teams play that have gotten better that he doesn't have a thing in the world to do with.
Saros might've not scored 7 goals, but he only let in 1. That's what makes teams win in the long run, you don't score a touchdown every day.
He's carrying the team and the wheels will come off as soon as he cools down.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Saros might've not scored 7 goals, but he only let in 1. That's what makes teams win in the long run, you don't score a touchdown every day.
He's carrying the team and the wheels will come off as soon as he cools down.
No offense but you could say that about every team winning right now. No team is winning 6-5 every night.

I mean yeah if he goes back to letting in two softies a game again it's gonna be a heck of a lot harder to win, but that's not exactly some great revelation.

That said you don't go on the run we have just because of the goalie, and he doesn't go on that kind of a run just because of his play alone.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Saros is playing well since returning from injury. Pekka is playing better now that he isn't forced to play 8 in a row in a 14 day span ( .938 sv% in his last three starts, all wins). That said, the entire team is playing better of late ... it isn't just the two guys between the pipes.

Reactions: Kat Predator

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
how was Farrance's debut??

Got better as the game went on but still a little shaky, as you'd expect, tried to avoid mistakes.

Clearly sees the ice well and processes the game at a high level. Solid, simple first passes, reliable with the puck.

A little awkward backwards skating and timid physically, which was the report on him in college as well. I truly wonder if he'd work better as a forward?

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee

Al McGuire used to do that at Marquette. I saw him lose a few games that they should have won. I also saw it work a few times. Timing is everything. If you do that 5 minutes before the half, it can work. If you do it 5 minutes from the end of regulation, the extra points by the opposition works against you. It also depends on how good your top Assistant Coach is. Hank Raymonds and Rick Majerus were good coaches. Raymonds ran the offense for McGuire. I think that Majerus ran the defense.

Rollie Massimino at Villanova was another one. He would look like he was going to the electric chair 5 times a game.

Reactions: hockey diva

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
No offense, buy Hynes was a no name and he was also an also ran which made the hire really puzzling. He did get results a bit better than Lavi was getting before COVID set in. But uwhere he really lost me was playing Saros all 4 games against Arizona. That was just stupid. Then earlier this year when Saros was hurt he literally rode Rinne until he just fell apart, which was also really dumb and not fair to Pekka.

But if I can blame him when things suck I can admit he deserves credit now that things are going well. He has turned this season around dramatically and has earned the right to see it through.
Maybe also ran isn't the right term. How about popular name but has done anything in the last 10-15 years with multiple chances from other teams. Hynes had one stint with a shitty team that is still shitty. Whether the hire was puzzling or not it's foolish for a fanbase the knows absolutely nothing about a coach to throw him under the bus before coaching a game the way this one did.

Playing Saros all 4 games in the bubble does seem dumb from where I sit. Not sure if there were mitigating circumstances or he just thought Saros would play his way out of it. That being said it isn't much different than Lavi never giving Saros a chance the previous 2 years just to see if it could spark the team or Pekka's competitiveness and change the course.

Playing Pekka all 8 games was probably Pekka's idea. He knew how long Saros would be out and he knew if Saros continued to play the way he started to before getting hurt he'd be riding the pine the rest of the season. To me this is made up fan bullshit.

All that being said I have no idea if Hynes and the rest of the staff have what it takes to win a cup but they've already done this team a service by reminding them all how to play hockey "the right way".

Jul 12, 2007
Do we like Hynes now? Like what the hell is going on?
I still think he’s a bad coach, with bad philosophy and instincts.
For the moment, he’s being bailed out by resurgent veterans who’ve woken up from year-long comas, and ambitious kids who are getting a good shot at playing time. None of which is Hynes’ doing, but it’s all making him look better than he really is.

Jul 12, 2007
@PredsV82

I SEE YOUR KIN TOOK THAT THING WITH SHIT PHOENIX QUITE LITERALLY.

RISE SHIT PHOENIX RISE.
So, is there an inside joke that I’m not privy to, where everybody loves this guys childish trolling on another teams board ? Just tell me, I can take it.
I ask because I took much heat from Wad the Odd Mod, for being mean to him.
I always thought the board-crashing annoying thing was what we wanted to stop, but apparently not.

Last edited:

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
So, is there an inside joke that I’m not privy to, where everybody loves this guys childish trolling on another teams board ?
Yes. Although I am not going to explain it, because neither of us is interested in talking to the other and it would take way too much time and effort I’m not willing waste.
Shit phoenix is a reference to one of my discussions with 82 prior to this match. That is actually a Predator thing.
I ask because I took much heat from Wad the Odd Mod, for being mean to him.
Be mean to me for all I care. I don’t use report button.
I always thought the board-crashing annoying thing was what we wanted to stop, but apparently not.
Fairly shortsighted view. Do you want to people to have fan IDs? What about people who cheer for multiple teams?

Have a nice day.

Reactions: hockey diva

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Maybe also ran isn't the right term. How about popular name but has done anything in the last 10-15 years with multiple chances from other teams. Hynes had one stint with a shitty team that is still shitty. Whether the hire was puzzling or not it's foolish for a fanbase the knows absolutely nothing about a coach to throw him under the bus before coaching a game the way this one did.

Playing Saros all 4 games in the bubble does seem dumb from where I sit. Not sure if there were mitigating circumstances or he just thought Saros would play his way out of it. That being said it isn't much different than Lavi never giving Saros a chance the previous 2 years just to see if it could spark the team or Pekka's competitiveness and change the course.

Playing Pekka all 8 games was probably Pekka's idea. He knew how long Saros would be out and he knew if Saros continued to play the way he started to before getting hurt he'd be riding the pine the rest of the season. To me this is made up fan bullshit.

All that being said I have no idea if Hynes and the rest of the staff have what it takes to win a cup but they've already done this team a service by reminding them all how to play hockey "the right way".

Fans do what fans do. It was a disappointing hire when we got rid of a coach with Lavys credentials and record to hire a guy whose only NHL head coaching credentials were a mediocre(at best) stint with the Devils. It was absolutely reasonable for fans to have a "I think this was a mistake" attitude. Hynes was starting to prove us wrong when the pandemic hit. Then the miserable 4 game loss to a team we should have beaten easily erased all earned credibility. Follow that up with the horrible start to this season and there was ample evidence to support a claim that Hynes wasnt the right guy behind the bench.

As for Pekka, I have no doubt he said " I can play every night" but a good coach would have realized that at 38 years old that just wasnt true, no matter what he said.

Like I said, I'll give credit as freely as I give criticism. It's obvious he has made good use of our young players, getting them to play his system and thus getting the vets to pay attention and fall in line. Good coaches make the best of bad situations and he deserves huge kudos for how hes led us on this run despite massive injuries and roster instability.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Does anyone have a heat map or shot quality chart of where shots where taken against Saros before and after injury. I thought i heard on the broadcast that we've really cleaned up on shot quality against us

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Does anyone have a heat map or shot quality chart of where shots where taken against Saros before and after injury. I thought i heard on the broadcast that we've really cleaned up on shot quality against us
I'd say based on the eye test it's gotten better but we've also not been playing the likes of Tampa and Carolina much either.

I felt like he kept us in it during the 1st but after that it got much easier.

Jul 12, 2007
Yes. Although I am not going to explain it, because neither of us is interested in talking to the other and it would take way too much time and effort I’m not willing waste.
Shit phoenix is a reference to one of my discussions with 82 prior to this match. That is actually a Predator thing.

Be mean to me for all I care. I don’t use report button.

Fairly shortsighted view. Do you want to people to have fan IDs? What about people who cheer for multiple teams?

Have a nice day.
Nah, as a rule, being mean is not my forte.
But I’m willing to do it now and then when somebody keeps popping up to be annoying, repeating the same stuff over and over.
And yeah, people trolling other teams boards has always been a negative. Don’t care about various strange excuses there may be for it.
And no, I really don’t believe the ‘I don’t report’ thing. Last time Joe Mod was on me in seconds. This time you replied in seconds.
So, I received an answer to my question. Apparently you have a nice inside joke going each time you cut & paste your standard all-caps offering. It’s funny, I don’t see any responses to you that indicate anybody else thinks it’s amusing or interesting, but that’s for you to ponder.

Last edited:

Jonesey

R.I.P. Steve AKA Pred303
Feb 17, 2009
Tennessee
But I’m willing to do it now and then when somebody keeps popping up to be annoying, repeating the same stuff over and over.
And yeah, people trolling other teams boards has always been a negative. Don’t care about various strange excuses there may be for it.
And no, I really don’t believe the ‘I don’t report’ thing. Last time Joe Mod was on me in seconds. This time you replied in seconds.

Fans of other teams ARE allowed to post on any forum they want, as long as they are following the rules. If you feel they have violated a site rule, feel free to use the report function. If not, and your schtick is to try and get a rise out of them to get them in trouble, just don't.

If you continue down this path, your welcome on this forum will be short lived.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
I haven't come here to talk smack about your team if that is your deal. Capital letters are not... a capital offense.

I understand that since the only proof you have for it is my word. As a matter of fact, I had a reply to that comment back then but it got deleted because your post got deleted. Because of this whole pandemic thing going on and other real-life events, I am glued to PC, hence the quick response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad