GDT: [Game #41] Dallas Stars vs. Nashville Predators – 7:00 PM CT (BSSW)

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
AWfWAPY.png

GAME #41 – 1/12/2024 – 7:00 PM CT – BSSW
American Airlines Center

Your Dallas Stars vs. the Nashville Predators
24-11-5, 53 pts ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ 22-18-1, 45 pts

S2Q26Rq.png

Icl2LnB.png

uEDwjZ4.png

Forward lines '22-23 copy.png

GriAc84.png

Nashville Predators

Forsberg - O’Reilly - Nyquist
Gurianov - Sissons - Parssinen
Smith - Novak - Evangelista
Tomasino - Glass - McCarron

Josi - Fabbro
McDonagh - Schenn
Lauzon - Carrier

Saros

2fmwd0w.png

Last edited:

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Paper transaction no?

Oh, looks like it was only Jake + Wedgewood at practice so maybe Jake is back.
It's possible, just assumed that Oettinger was ready to come back. It would be odd for them to start doing paper transactions now, when they should have been doing them most of the season with Hanley

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
It's possible, just assumed that Oettinger was ready to come back. It would be odd for them to start doing paper transactions now, when they should have been doing them most of the season with Hanley

They just started doing paper transactions a few times for Murray after the emergency exemption was up because enough cap space was accrued to call up Murray normally. Can't do paper transactions with Hanley as easily as he is no longer waiver exempt.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
They just started doing paper transactions a few times for Murray after the emergency exemption was up because enough cap space was accrued to call up Murray normally. Can't do paper transactions with Hanley as easily as he is no longer waiver exempt.
He would clear waivers, then they have 10 games or 30 days of exemption. So they throw him on waivers at the start of the season. He clears.
They assign him to the AHL for home games, call him up for Road games.
He hits his 10games or 30 day window. They repeat the process.

Nobody is taking a 32yr 7th d-man on waivers

Reactions: Elysian

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
He would clear waivers, then they have 10 games or 30 days of exemption. So they throw him on waivers at the start of the season. He clears.

It's not likely, but it could happen.

There is a lot of claims for low-end players. I guess the team doesn't want to screw around with their core 23, they will just make use of the cap savings for easy transactions with players that can freely go up and down and don't have any risk associated with it.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
It's not likely, but it could happen.

There is a lot of claims for low-end players. I guess the team doesn't want to screw around with their core 23, they will just make use of the cap savings for easy transactions with players that can freely go up and down and don't have any risk associated with it.
I suppose it is fair to assume the Avs would claim him, they really love, in the words of Sean Avery, our sloppy seconds.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
isn't there a limit to how many transactions you can do in a year? else they'd be doing the paper stuffs with some other guys all year, no?

I don't believe so, no.

There is a limit after the trade deadline, but that only applies to transactions made after the actual deadline itself.

Reactions: eartotheground

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I don't believe so, no.

There is a limit after the trade deadline, but that only applies to transactions made after the actual deadline itself.

IRC they send Olofson back and fourth like 25 times last season

• Haha
Reactions: LT

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
I don't believe so, no.

yeah, that post deadline is what i was thinking of. pretty sure we hit it at one point within the last couple seasons.

i wonder why they don't do it then with guys like wyatt. is he on a 2 way deal? otherwise i'd think you could continually be chipping away at cap savings. gotta be some reason, i suppose.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
yeah, that post deadline is what i was thinking of. pretty sure we hit it at one point within the last couple seasons.

i wonder why they don't do it then with guys like wyatt. is he on a 2 way deal? otherwise i'd think you could continually be chipping away at cap savings. gotta be some reason, i suppose.

I think there's also something about having to be on the roster to practice? I'm not sure. But that's a good point, there must be some reason everyone on an ELC doesn't constantly get moved in paper transactions too.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Because if you are on a two-way and get moved down the team is paying you less. Would be a quick exit from the organization to a better team that doesn't f*** with your pay cheque no?

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Because if you are on a two-way and get moved down the team is paying you less. Would be a quick exit from the organization to a better team that doesn't f*** with your pay cheque no?
Exactly right. Look at the kid in Philly. One good factor people brought up was how the Flyers chose not to call him up late last season when his college season ended. He'd have only been able to play ten or eleven games, but they Flyers didn't want to add that amount to their cap. For the Flyers, maybe it was good cap management. For the kid, it was a decent amount of money he was denied.

Reactions: piqued

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Exactly right. Look at the kid in Philly. One good factor people brought up was how the Flyers chose not to call him up late last season when his college season ended. He'd have only been able to play ten or eleven games, but they Flyers didn't want to add that amount to their cap. For the Flyers, maybe it was good cap management. For the kid, it was a decent amount of money he was denied.

In that scenario, too, Cutter wanted a year on his ELC burned. The Flyers wanted to maintain that extra year of control. So there's even more layers to this contract malarkey.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
That's not really what happened. To even call him, he would have had to sign his ELC, which means he wouldn't be able to go back to college.
Maybe he wanted to sign his ELC and play those game (and burn a year of his ELC) and the Flyers didn't, but he wasn't in a position to be "called up" without first being under contract.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006

Yes, but I guarantee Nill thinks he'd be claimed, and that's all that matters.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
That's not really what happened. To even call him, he would have had to sign his ELC, which means he wouldn't be able to go back to college.
Maybe he wanted to sign his ELC and play those game (and burn a year of his ELC) and the Flyers didn't, but he wasn't in a position to be "called up" without first being under contract.
I see no difference in what we're saying when it comes to the kid being denied a chance to make some money.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I see no difference in what we're saying when it comes to the kid being denied a chance to make some money.
There's a big difference between
The flyers not being able to call him up, which they couldn't because he's unsigned, and outright choosing not to call him up or play him because reasons (see Stankoven last year/this year).

I doubt he's actually pissy over not being able to make about 50k from playing in 10 or so NHL games, especially in the NIL college era. (I'll have to look up his NIL deal at BC, if any) but he probably didn't lose out on much money

He's probably more pissed he didn't get to burn a year off his ELC, or he realized philly is a shitty city.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad