GDT: Game 41: Avs vs Senators | January 8th, 7PM MT | Halfway Through

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Welcome back Mr. O'Reilly! :clap:

He's had some really good games lately, but this was back to his 200 foot dominance, and ROR defensive clinic style we've grown accustomed to. Perfect third man high presence all night not getting selfish, and allowing Tangs and Iggy to make the plays. Jumping into the holes to support and screen at the right times. Stealing pucks left and right. Coming down really hard on his stick to tie guys up breaking to the net. Spinning off checks, forechecking with possession almost every time, was a little over .500 in the circle but all his wins seemed to be big ones. Outstanding game. Games like this makes it bittersweet knowing they won't be able to resign him, and have to trade him because he's exactly what the team needs.

Great game by The Condor too, except for that too cute backhand pass up the middle that ended up in the net. Not sure what it says about the University of Minnesota though that he doesn't know what a condor is. :laugh:

Duchene couldn't have less confidence. Another game of blown chances, with the worst being the shot he sent ten feet wide from the slot after a great drop pass from Iggy to him in flight for a semi breakaway.

Varly with some huge stops again. I forget when it was, but that save around the middle of the game where there was a wide open net, and he lunged in the butterfly to his right to shut it down is about as fast as you will ever see a goaltender move in the net. I thought that was a sure goal, and the next thing I know he's in perfect position blocking the whole net and standing tall.

Iggy with a couple snipes. He's turning into his usual Jerome, Jerome, the metronome in the second half, scoring goals from his favorite spot at the right circle. I have to critique him a little bit though because I'm getting a little sick of seeing it. Far too often he makes a lazy play to get the puck out of the zone just inside the blueline. He's the strongest guy out on the ice most nights, and he gets out muscled for pucks. He also tries to make the fancy poke the puck around the guy for the breakaway at the blueline too often during moments where they've been hemmed in, and just need a simple clear. As a veteran leader on this team, and a big strong winger, he needs to do a better job at this.

Tangs is just Peter Forsberg smart out there this year. Maybe not quite the consistent ppg production, but he just sees everything out on the ice, and O'Reilly is the perfect keep it simple centerman for him to handle the puck and work his magic with Iggy.

Thought Holden played a pretty strong game. He's been much better lately. Too bad for Redmond who never should have sat in the first place. Talbot was better tonight too, though he still blew a couple rushes himself. Briere is turning into the guy who you just forget about in games until he scores. At least he's not too noticeable in a bad way defensively.

Mack just seems like he doesn't know what he wants to do out there. He just skates and........that's about as far as his plan goes. One thing he really needs to cut out is just flinging blind passes to where he thinks a guy will be. Far too often they're not. He needs to pick his head up and look first. It's what all the great players do. They make a glance, get a read on the ice, get to the puck and make a play. Not just skate around and fire a puck to where you think someone might be.

Great two points though. Everyone else keeps losing, and the Avs keep picking up points. If that continues look out, because if any team is capable of a Dr Jekyll second half after a Mr Hyde first, it's the Avs. If they could just get one of Duchene or Mack scoring consistently, they could have something here.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
This could be perfect night for us, If Rangers finish their job. Uuh.. 5 points out of a playoff spot!

Holy ****, we actually got bumped up to 7,1% to make the playoffs after tonight's games! Wow!! I can't remember last time it was that high. Haha.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
He's had some really good games lately, but this was back to his 200 foot dominance, and ROR defensive clinic style we've grown accustomed to. Perfect third man high presence all night not getting selfish, and allowing Tangs and Iggy to make the plays. Jumping into the holes to support and screen at the right times. Stealing pucks left and right. Coming down really hard on his stick to tie guys up breaking to the net. Spinning off checks, forechecking with possession almost every time, was a little over .500 in the circle but all his wins seemed to be big ones. Outstanding game. Games like this makes it bittersweet knowing they won't be able to resign him, and have to trade him because he's exactly what the team needs.

Yeah, he has been really good for some time now and it sucks that he likely won't be here long-term. Oh well, might as well keep bumping up that trade value while he is here.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Yeah, he has been really good for some time now and it sucks that he likely won't be here long-term. Oh well, might as well keep bumping up that trade value while he is here.

We will never get as good return for him(as a player). My #1 priority would be to keep him. We are not gonna be able to replace him.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
This is kinda why he should stay a center. Does so much that he's better when he has the entire ice at his disposal. I think wing limits his game, but that's MHO.

Rycroft did an expert job breaking down his play away from the puck. Just amazing vision and hockey sense.

Anyway, good win, and glad to see the Avs are hanging one game above .500 at the halfway mark.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
This is kinda why he should stay a center. Does so much that he's better when he has the entire ice at his disposal. I think wing limits his game, but that's MHO.

Rycroft did an expert job breaking down his play away from the puck. Just amazing vision and hockey sense.

Anyway, good win, and glad to see the Avs are hanging one game above .500 at the halfway mark.

And the best thing is he was making plays like Ryker broke down on pretty much every shift. About as good a game as you can ask for from him. Just dominated the game positionally and in his puck battles.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
This is working out to be the perfect night for the Avs.

We get a regulation win, while Vancouver, Minnesota, Winnipeg, San Jose all lost, and Dallas only got the 1 point in an OTL. LAK is also down two in the 3rd period.

Big 4 point swings tonight between us and the teams were chasing. 5 points out right now, and with 41 games to do it. Certainly a doable task for this team. Were still not even playing close to 100% right now, Dutchy and Mack are still playing pretty poor hockey.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
These last few weeks have been the ROR no one would want to trade. But then I remind myself him and his agency probably won't want to talk contract with the Avs until he's about a few weeks from UFA, and I feel a bit better about trading him.

I really hope some of our young players are watching Iggy and Tanguay and how smart they are in the offensive zone. They got to the dead spaces in the ice to give and receive passes. Rendulic has been trying it in the slow but his linemates aren't trying to get him a pass. Instead, Duchene will just keep spinning...:shakehead

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I thought Avs were better defensively against Chicago. Today they allowed too many chances off the rush because the players, especially the defenders, were a bit sleepy and sloppy. It didn't help that they (especially #4) went for risky defensive plays instead of just relying on positioning.

Avs offensive game is still a work in progress. The cycling game looks good at times but when the defenders don't shoot all that often but chooses to throw the puck down below the goal most of the time (Holden and Hejda almost always does this) they don't get much offense from it. The O'Reilly line was excellent.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
Duchene needs to get some confidence. They should call up Everberg and run with these lines:

Tangs - ROR - Iggy .... obviously they work good together
Lando - Malkin - Mack
Everbeast - Dutch - Borna ... 3C for Duchene, play against some weaker D to get his game back
Talbot - Cliché - Briere ... mix in McLeod here and there

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Things would be looking a lot better if not for that blown game against Columbus.

Yea seriously. If they would have pulled that one out in OT or the SO, which seems pretty possible since they're very good at both, they'd only be three points back of Winnipeg and LA for both Wild Card spots.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
And, perhaps even more importantly, we'd be on a 5 game win streak right now. That would be such a huge boost to the confidence of this team to have themselves a good long winning streak. 8-3-2 is great, but we could have been 9-2-2.

Oh well. Great win tonight to bring the hope back. Took us 1/2 of the season, but we're finally above .500.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Winning spurts are all fine and dandy, they still mean absolutely nothing unless Duchene, Mackinnon, and Landy start to play up to par. I'm not getting my playoff hopes alive until I see one of these three string in a a few consistent games.

ROR has looked better the past few games at least.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Shout to Bohl and Flow here, you guys' killed it tonight! :laugh:

I must admit, I thought Iginla was going to better defensive than what he has shown. I never expected him to be better than Stastny if you fictionally compared both on the wings, but there is a pretty big gap between the two IMO. I still love him though.

I don't think EJ played that great besides his goal, his next step to take to become a top 10-15 defenseman is to know when to play sound defensive and when to join the rush. I appreciate his rushes more than anyone here, but rushing so much does lead to turnovers and putting players in awkward positions. There is a chance he might never "get this", but if he's going to know when to clear and when to rush it up the ice, really comes with experience.

For how good Duchene, Landeskog, and Rendulic are playing as a line, it is surprising that Landeskog only has a goal and couple of assists and Rendulic only has one goal himself. I thought they have played great the last two games.

Yeah, ROR is playing some superb hockey, but as Mars said, you still gotta trade the guy.

I also do not get the Stuart hate today, his puck skills are horrible, but I thought he played fantastic. Lastly, I thought Guenin played a near perfect game as well.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
That Rendulic rush up the ice in the 3rd was impressive, even if it was against leadfoot Cowen. He's showing a lot of good things and I think it's clear that Roy really likes him.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Shout to Bohl and Flow here, you guys' killed it tonight! :laugh:

I must admit, I thought Iginla was going to better defensive than what he has shown. I never expected him to be better than Stastny if you fictionally compared both on the wings, but there is a pretty big gap between the two IMO. I still love him though.

I don't think EJ played that great besides his goal, his next step to take to become a top 10-15 defenseman is to know when to play sound defensive and when to join the rush. I appreciate his rushes more than anyone here, but rushing so much does lead to turnovers and putting players in awkward positions. There is a chance he might never "get this", but if he's going to know when to clear and when to rush it up the ice, really comes with experience.

For how good Duchene, Landeskog, and Rendulic are playing as a line, it is surprising that Landeskog only has a goal and couple of assists and Rendulic only has one goal himself. I thought they have played great the last two games.

Yeah, ROR is playing some superb hockey, but as Mars said, you still gotta trade the guy.

I also do not get the Stuart hate today, his puck skills are horrible, but I thought he played fantastic. Lastly, I thought Guenin played a near perfect game as well.

The defense as a whole have all been playing pretty strong lately for the most part. I've never agreed with the Stuart criticisms. I've given my share to both Guenin and Holden though, and both played pretty strong games.

Only one that's not is Barrie. Not sure what's going on with his head, but he's making some pretty poor puck decisions, and he's telegraphing his passes by not making them quickly enough. He did make a beautiful stretch pass to Briere for the dagger 5th goal though.

That Rendulic rush up the ice in the 3rd was impressive, even if it was against leadfoot Cowen. He's showing a lot of good things and I think it's clear that Roy really likes him.

He's been very good. Maybe even better than Duchene who doesn't seem to want to get him the puck. He'd rather just hold onto it until he spins himself into a corner he can't get out of.

I thought he might make the team out of camp, but he kept his head up in Lake Erie, and he's showing he deserves to stay for sure. Every game he's got more and more confidence, and he's learning to use his size more. Best thing is he competes hard defensively on each shift which is what will keep him in the lineup.

Last edited:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
The Columbus game was awful but I'm not convinced they would have won in Chicago had that not happened. So I guess can't what if too much.

I'm encouraged by 5 points back of Winnipeg. I'm not going to think much about passing LA but finally this seems like something actually possible.

And no, don't put Duchene and MacKinnon together. They try to do too much of the same things on the ice. I agree MacKinnon is going to need some upgraded linemates at some point but I guess he gets to suffer while the Tangs-ROR-Iggy line is rolling.

And the Condor...tied with the league lead in goals from defensemen.

Last edited:

Hesher

Sagan for President
Jan 22, 2013
Slovakia
Finally above .500!

Tanguay and Iginla together are so much fun to watch.

If Varly keeps his play up they might just sneak into the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad