Pre-Game Talk: GAME 41 9:08 PM - @ ARIZONA - No excuses as 2 points is a must - NESN, ESPN+, SNP, SNW, 98.5 WBZ-FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
All-time great?

How about very good.

Kessel in his first 5 playoff trips to start his career

71 Games
31 Goals
35 Assists
66 Points
+28
2 Stanley Cups
Should have Atleast 1 conn smythe

last 3 years he slowed down

but he was absolutely dominate in his early playoff runs

Even with slowed production his last few playoff runs

Kessel in his career averages per 82 playoff games

30-40-70

Better than the likes of

Bergeron
21-38-59

Krejci
22-42-64

Marchand
27-38-65

Toews
26-42-68

Kopitar
22-47-69

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

71 Games
31 Goals
35 Assists
66 Points
+28
2 Stanley Cups

30-40-70

Better than the likes of

Bergeron
21-38-59

Krejci
22-42-64

Marchand
27-38-65

Toews
26-42-68

Kopitar
22-47-69

Fact is Phil does not have a Conn Smythe. Nor should he.

All-time great means compared to more than just well-known contemporaries. It means like compared to Maurice Richard, Beliveau, Keon, Howe, Orr, Gretzky, Messier, Mario, Bossy, Roy, Parent, Dryden, Billy Smith, Sakic, Fedorov, Lefluer, Robinson, etc.

Points per game Kessel ranks 86th all-time. 12th among active players.

Yes, his production has been very good in the playoffs.

Not all-time great.

Reactions: 13Hockey

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
I can’t believe Ullmark is starting

Rask desperately needs a soft opponent to get right this seems like the perfect game

Next up Dallas has won 4 in a row and has scored 18 goals during the streak

not sure that’s who u want Tuukka in against

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005

Rask desperately needs a soft opponent to get right this seems like the perfect game

just trying to get tuukkas save % under .800

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB

Ullmark the guy making the most $$$$$$ :sarcasm:

CrownofThornton

Jul 8, 2012

71 Games
31 Goals
35 Assists
66 Points
+28
2 Stanley Cups

30-40-70

Better than the likes of

Bergeron
21-38-59

Krejci
22-42-64

Marchand
27-38-65

Toews
26-42-68

Kopitar
22-47-69

I still believe Kessel was robbed of a Conn Smythe.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004

71 Games
31 Goals
35 Assists
66 Points
+28
2 Stanley Cups

30-40-70

Better than the likes of

Bergeron
21-38-59

Krejci
22-42-64

Marchand
27-38-65

Toews
26-42-68

Kopitar
22-47-69
I wouldn't change anything because of 2011, but there's a small part of me that would love to know what might have been if Kessel had stayed in Boston. Do they still win the Cup? Honestly I think they'd have had a good chance at winning multiple Cups with Kessel. During those prime years I think Kessel >> Seguin in the playoffs. The real question is do you take Kessel over Horton? Tough call. In theory they could have afforded both with Ryder being the odd man out. Kessel was really wasted in those Leafs years and Kessel in his prime at a 5.4m cap hit was great value.

Like I said I wouldn't change a thing because I believe in the butterfly effect, but Kessel absolutely got a raw deal in Boston, especially from Claude. It's wild hearing stories about Claude giving him a hard time for not hitting the gym hard enough but then you hear stories like that one about him squatting 330 and chirping Neal the whole time. I think Claude just didn't get Phil on a personal level and had it out for him from early on. Kessel gets a lot of shit, but his body of work speaks for itself. Guy is a hell of a player.

pgm16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2010
St. John's NL
I wouldn't change anything because of 2011, but there's a small part of me that would love to know what might have been if Kessel had stayed in Boston. Do they still win the Cup? Honestly I think they'd have had a good chance at winning multiple Cups with Kessel. During those prime years I think Kessel >> Seguin in the playoffs. The real question is do you take Kessel over Horton? Tough call. In theory they could have afforded both with Ryder being the odd man out. Kessel was really wasted in those Leafs years and Kessel in his prime at a 5.4m cap hit was great value.

Like I said I wouldn't change a thing because I believe in the butterfly effect, but Kessel absolutely got a raw deal in Boston, especially from Claude. It's wild hearing stories about Claude giving him a hard time for not hitting the gym hard enough but then you hear stories like that one about him squatting 330 and chirping Neal the whole time. I think Claude just didn't get Phil on a personal level and had it out for him from early on. Kessel gets a lot of shit, but his body of work speaks for itself. Guy is a hell of a player.
For awhile, Savard, Lucic & Kessel

Reactions: lopey

Knox Harrington

May 28, 2021

I agree. Plus, Phil would never have missed a team breakfast or violated UCMJ Article 134. I’d fire up the time machine and take him or the Newfie over Seguin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad