Pre-Game Talk: GAME 41 9:08 PM - @ ARIZONA - No excuses as 2 points is a must - NESN, ESPN+, SNP, SNW, 98.5 WBZ-FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
upload_2022-1-28_4-47-37.png

upload_2022-1-28_4-48-24.png

upload_2022-1-28_4-48-51.png

After nearly knocking off the league's hottest team, the Boston Bruins will look to get back on track when they face the Arizona Coyotes on Friday night in Glendale, Ariz.

On Wednesday, the Bruins built a 3-1 lead on the road heading into the third period against the Colorado Avalanche, who had won seven straight games and a franchise record 16 consecutive at home.

But Boston goaltender Linus Ullmark surrendered a pair of goals in the final 9:14 of regulation and ceded an overtime winner to Cale Makar in a disappointing 4-3 setback that still managed to come with a point in the standings.

"I think we expected a push. We wanted to keep playing the same way," Bruins center Charlie Coyle said. "They came hard and it's unfortunate. Linus played such a great game and he deserved better from us in that third."

Coyle scored the second of Boston's three goals in the middle period at the 12:16 mark to put his team up 2-1.
Brad Marchand netted his team-leading 21st goal and Jake DeBrusk also lit the lamp for the Bruins. Ullmark finished with 37 saves on 41 shots.

Boston was outshot 21-7 from the start of the third period through overtime.

"The biggest thing, for me, was watching us play the whole (third) period in our own end because we couldn't execute a breakout pass," Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy said. "We continually iced it, off the glass and out. You've got to keep playing hockey."

The loss was Boston's second in a row and third in five games following an 8-1-0 stretch.

Arizona is likely to welcome the return to home ice after dropping three in a row to cap a disappointing four-game road trip.

On Tuesday, the Coyotes took a 3-2 lead against the Penguins early in the third period before goalie Karel Vejmelka (30 saves) allowed four answered goals en route to a 6-3 loss at Pittsburgh.

"When they tied the game, I think there was panic on our side," Arizona coach Andre Tourigny said. "We were anxious, and instead of just relaxing and staying with it, we drove outside and tried to force plays."

Nick Schmaltz's second goal of the game, just 2:54 into the final period, gave Arizona a one-goal advantage. His first of the night opened the scoring at 8:23 of the second.

Clayton Keller netted his team-leading 16th goal on a power play at 16:22 of the middle period to put the Coyotes in front 2-1.

"It was unfortunate because I thought we were pretty good for the first two periods," Schmaltz said. "We just gave up a couple of power-play goals; they have a really good power play. But other than that, we didn't really give them a whole lot."

Overall, the Coyotes have gone 4-6-2 since the resumption of play following the league's COVID-related schedule pause.

The 25-year-old Vejmelka has never faced Boston. Coyotes backup goalie Scott Wedgewood is 1-2-0 with a .921 save percentage and a 3.01 goals-against mark in three career games against the Bruins.

Ullmark is 1-0-0 with a sterling .980 save percentage (48 saves on 49 shots) and a 0.66 goals-against average in two career games versus Arizona.

Meanwhile, longtime Bruins goalie Tuukka Rask owns a lifetime 12-1-0 mark with a .939 save percentage and a 1.69 goals-against average in 13 prior appearances versus the Coyotes.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
So let me be clear: I will always be rooting for the Bruins. But…

There’s a little part of me that enjoys letdown games like this if it were to happen because fans becoming “appalled” and otherwise angry over losing to teams at the bottom of the NHL is a little bit entertaining. It’s the same storyline every time: it’s a MUST WIN (even though their positioning is under no threat whatsoever), NO EXCUSES, TEAM IS AN UTTER FAILURE IF THEY DARE LOSE TO THIS OTHER NHL TEAM!!!

Anyways, it’s Friday. No excuse to fall asleep early tonight. Hopefully the doors aren’t locked when the teams get there today due to non-payment.

Reactions: BMC

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
Does Vaak, Debrusk, Studnicka +1st stay in Arizona and Chychrun and Crouse leave with us? Asking for a friend!
Bruin 5-1, Bergy, Hall, Pasta, Haula, and Carlo

Reactions: bbfan419

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I believe the last time the Bruins lost to the Coyotes they were know as the Phoenix Coyotes. It was at the 02 arena in Prague, CZ and was on 10/9/2010. That's crazy!!

BOSTON vs ARIZONA, LIFETIME SERIES - The Bruins and Coyotes are meeting for the 82nd time in their histories with the Bruins having a 53-20-7-1 record and 306-228 scoring advantage in those games. - The Bruins are 24-14-3-0 vs. Arizona with a 135-118 scoring margin in those 41 games. - The Bruins carry a 16-game win streak vs. the Coyotes into tonight’s game (at home and on the road) ... It is their longest current win streak vs. any opponent ... Their last loss of this series was a 5-2 loss on 10/9/10 in Prague, Czech Republic.

Reactions: bbfan419 and BMC

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Chyrchrun is a -31....he can stay in Arizona.

Bruins need a stay at home...

that’ll happen when you play the most minutes on a historically bad team with brutal teammates and even worse goaltending

That said I don’t think I want them trading what it would cost to get him

Reactions: bruinsfan1968

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
I'd sit a couple key guys to give them some rest. Game on Sunday will likely be physical and some of the vets are surely wearing down some over this stretch. Coyotes are abysmal. Bs should be able to beat them even with some guys resting.

Reactions: bbfan419

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I'd sit a couple key guys to give them some rest. Game on Sunday will likely be physical and some of the vets are surely wearing down some over this stretch. Coyotes are abysmal. Bs should be able to beat them even with some guys resting.
This is true but sometimes they play down to bad teams. They need to take ALL teams seriously.

Two points is two points.

Last edited:

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
that’ll happen when you play the most minutes on a historically bad team with brutal teammates and even worse goaltending

That said I don’t think I want them trading what it would cost to get him

Really?

Next closest brutal teammate is -13. Next closest brutal defenseman is -10.

Not only is he -31, but he's missed 11 games. It could be worse.

No way to make it look like he hasn't played poorly.

Reactions: bbfan419 and lopey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad