GDT: Game #41 - 01.10.15 - at Colorado - 2:00 PM - FS Southwest+ - 1310 AM - 96.7 FM

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Goalie pulled, full push for the tying goal is on, and a Jordie sighting. wtf are the coaches thinking?
They are thinking they need fresh legs out there. I mean, who would you rather see? If you check the shift log, you'll probably see you answer had been on the ice just before Jordie got a shift.

It won't happen this season. We'll sell on some vets at the deadline that obviously aren't going to return any meaningful pieces. I just hope Nill knows what the **** he's doing when it comes time to stop winning games.

If he doesn't and we miss the playoffs while not securing a top 5 pick, I'm off the Nill bandwagon. It's great that he had so much success in Detroit, but that doesn't mean he can't **** things up for us for a long time.
To get a top five pick, the Stars would have to tank in a major way. You are setting an unrealistic expectation.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
They are thinking they need fresh legs out there. I mean, who would you rather see? If you check the shift log, you'll probably see you answer had been on the ice just before Jordie got a shift.

In the final two minutes down a goal you switch off Klingberg/Goligoski and Daley/Schlemko with maybe Deemers taking Schlemko's spot. Jordie should not see the ice again.

To get a top five pick, the Stars would have to tank in a major way. You are setting an unrealistic expectation.

A repeat of last January gets them close to that already. Is it extremely likely? No, but a bad run can build on itself and some teams like Columbus are eventually going to get healthy and thus be better.

jason9090spezza

Oct 19, 2014
Japan
A typical Dallas game. Nothing special. Tired of talking about it.

But one thing positive. I liked how every line was almost generating chances. True, it has to be a lot better than this, but its at least a first step forward.

And Hemsky as of late isn't bad at all. Not good, but not bad either.

NukeJukes43

A typical Dallas game. Nothing special. Tired of talking about it.

But one thing positive. I liked how every line was almost generating chances. True, it has to be a lot better than this, but its at least a first step forward.

And Hemsky as of late isn't bad at all. Not good, but not bad either.

He's found his scoring groove, finally. I think if he were to be putting up points like this early in the season everyone would agree he was a good addition. It just sucks we can't seem to get our top line going now. Seems like if ones up the other is down.

SonicSpeedDash

All bets are off
Jun 22, 2010
Amarillo, TX
He's found his scoring groove, finally. I think if he were to be putting up points like this early in the season everyone would agree he was a good addition. It just sucks we can't seem to get our top line going now. Seems like if ones up the other is down.

Would be nice if Spezza would score a little more.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I realize great players are better with other high IQ/high skill players, but something troubling about Spezza in particular has caught my eye recently. Most elite playmakers play down to their linemates better than he seems to thus far in Dallas. I understand a guy not having his passes slammed away into open nets due to lower skill of linemates, but it seems like Spezza doesn't change his game much to accommodate their lack of IQ/skill; no-look passes on the halfboards to nobody, drop-passes to nobody, etc.

I know as soon as he gets a linemate with higher end IQ and skill his line will be a dynamic presence, but it's just odd to me that he doesn't seem to change much about his game. To me, that is also a trait of high IQ players, and he doesn't seem to have much recognition of this. With Modano, if Lehtinen was injured and he had to play a few games with guys like Rob DiMaio he played a simpler game and still made tape to tape passes.

Not trying to kill the guy. I like him a a player and think he can be a very good player for us for a few years, just pointing out something maybe others have noticed.

cizko

Feb 10, 2009
This isn't a comment for GDT, but I wonder what Tom Gaglardi thinks right now. He can't be happy with his toy at the moment.

StarsTx

Nov 9, 2014
We were 4 points out of a playoff at half way playing without key contributors from last years team like Pevs, Nuke, and expected contributors like Nemeth. Mix in the goaltending issues and while he may be displeased with where things are certainly he has to see that there are brighter days ahead.

Morry83

14-90-91
Mar 16, 2013
DBD trying to argue that the MacKinnon goal never crossed the line, and that he pushed Lehtonen's pad into the net.

Why does anyone bother going to that site. The homerism is just a bit strong.

Klockis

Suter stan
Mar 21, 2013
Sweden
DBD trying to argue that the MacKinnon goal never crossed the line, and that he pushed Lehtonen's pad into the net.

I'm surprised it was Erin Bolen as she is the only writer there who I actually like. Thought for sure it would be Worley. :laugh:

Primetimey*

I don't think it went in because there is no evidence to suggest it did. That 45 degree angled pictures with the puck up on end appears to go in, but looking from that angle can change the perspective. No overhead picture clearly shows the puck is in the net.

Dr GLU

Mar 1, 2002
Northern Hemisphere
I don't think it went in because there is no evidence to suggest it did. That 45 degree angled pictures with the puck up on end appears to go in, but looking from that angle can change the perspective. No overhead picture clearly shows the puck is in the net.

No picture shows it clearly on the line either, which is what would be needed to overturn the goal call.

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
I realize great players are better with other high IQ/high skill players, but something troubling about Spezza in particular has caught my eye recently. Most elite playmakers play down to their linemates better than he seems to thus far in Dallas. I understand a guy not having his passes slammed away into open nets due to lower skill of linemates, but it seems like Spezza doesn't change his game much to accommodate their lack of IQ/skill; no-look passes on the halfboards to nobody, drop-passes to nobody, etc.

I know as soon as he gets a linemate with higher end IQ and skill his line will be a dynamic presence, but it's just odd to me that he doesn't seem to change much about his game. To me, that is also a trait of high IQ players, and he doesn't seem to have much recognition of this. With Modano, if Lehtinen was injured and he had to play a few games with guys like Rob DiMaio he played a simpler game and still made tape to tape passes.

Not trying to kill the guy. I like him a a player and think he can be a very good player for us for a few years, just pointing out something maybe others have noticed.

I think misdirection is the only tool he really has to open up his teammates for scoring chances. Modano's skating ability gave him a lot of options for opening up teammates. Defenders had to play a loose gap or he could just blow by them with the afterburners and score. That gave him the space to make just about any play he wanted. Spezza doesn't have near that acceleration ability, so if he wants to come into the zone with speed, he has to start picking it up in the defending zone, giving the defenders plenty of time to adjust.

I would love for Spezza to be more efficient with his possessions. He style of play isn't very conducive to sustained zone time, and that's what any forward really needs to start being regularly productive.

NukeJukes43

To get a top five pick, the Stars would have to tank in a major way. You are setting an unrealistic expectation

I don't think we've been watching the same team. The Stars wouldn't have to change much at all.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
I don't think we've been watching the same team. The Stars wouldn't have to change much at all.

The bottom 5 teams are Edmonton, Buffalo, Carolina, Arizona and New Jersey. I'd advise you to watch one game from each of those teams this week. You'll see that we're nowhere near as bad as we'd have to be to challenge for a top 5 spot. The Devils are quite possibly the most boring team I've ever witnessed. Arizona is Arizona. Carolina is a cluster****. Buffalo got outshot 26-5 in a single period in the last game I watched. Edmonton is Edmonton.

NukeJukes43

The bottom 5 teams are Edmonton, Buffalo, Carolina, Arizona and New Jersey. I'd advise you to watch one game from each of those teams this week. You'll see that we're nowhere near as bad as we'd have to be to challenge for a top 5 spot. The Devils are quite possibly the most boring team I've ever witnessed. Arizona is Arizona. Carolina is a cluster****. Buffalo got outshot 26-5 in a single period in the last game I watched. Edmonton is Edmonton.

I watch them plenty, thanks.

If Kari gets injured, you'll see how easy it will be to group Dallas with those names.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
I watch them plenty, thanks.

If Kari gets injured, you'll see how easy it will be to group Dallas with those names.

You said that the Stars "wouldn't have to change much at all" to be a bottom 5 team. Losing the starting goalie is a ****ing huge change. I'd love to hear how you think we'd be worse than any of those teams without major injuries.

StarsTx

Nov 9, 2014
No way we can be worse than those teams without contracting a plague. The team isn't far off from being solid. Those teams will obviously be doing what it takes to get worse now and better later while even when we sell our vets we have younger players that will probably play better.

Old trade bait players on. Dallas
Cole Horcoff Eaves
Replaced by
Ritchie Sceviour McKenzie
Nuke back from injury

When we sell it won't hurt us much.
Those teams blow.

Brand New Stars

If Kari gets hurt we might go out and find a goalie that makes us better.

Lol, exactly.

Only makes them worse if Nill commits to the tank and calls up Rynnas to make Ruff roll with Lindback and Rynnas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad