GDT: Game #41 - 01.10.15 - at Colorado - 2:00 PM - FS Southwest+ - 1310 AM - 96.7 FM

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
The defense sucked today. This was probably Klingberg's worst game. All the other defensemen were messy. I think having league average defense would have won this game for us but alas.

Also the PP was ****awful but I've come to expect that

chrissmith

Dec 6, 2006
London
Half a period of powerplay time, Klingberg gets 18 seconds.

Yes he had a poor game but there's no excuse for that whatsoever.

Fly Like a C5

Dec 22, 2008
The PP needs to start taking a lot more of the blame for losses.

We knew going into this season that the defense was going to be bad, made up of veterans who aren't very good and young players still learning. We knew their would be issues at goaltending. I think everyone expected Kari to be better than this, but we all knew that he would be over worked because our back up goalie is terrible. On the other hand the PP should be good. When you've got Benn, Seguin, Spezza, and Hemsky available you shouldn't have a PP ranked in the bottom third of the league. They even managed to find a legitimate option for PP QB in Klingberg. There is no excuse for being this bad. When you go 0/6 on the PP, you're going to struggle to win games.

Last edited:

StarsTx

Nov 9, 2014
Special teams and goaltending.

Special teams, goaltending, and coaching!

No arguing the d was bad but there's was worse or at least equally bad but another soft 3rd period goal and good goaltending by the other team were killer, as well as the brutally bad pp.

Schlemko should be in for Jordie, not Oleksiak, bad pp coaching, bad goalie coaching.

Alistar

Jul 9, 2006
If we aren't going to ditch Kari, at the very least Nill better find a backup goaltender capable of taking over for the season if this happens again next year.

Alistar

Jul 9, 2006
We outshot them, we should have won with NHL goaltending. Plain and simple.

**Oh somehow I got turned around and in the PP thread. Well I can talk about that.

Dallas is the 2nd worst team in the entire league at generating shots towards the net on the powerplay. Probably because we spend all our time out of the attacking zone unable to even get set up. What the Stars need to do is stop with the creativity and trying to make it up as they go along, just watch video of what the very best teams in the league at this do (Washington, San Jose, and St. Louis) and play copy cat.

Shots from the point, good puck pursuit, guys in front. Simple as that. Cut the cross ice **** out, and cut the screwing around on the halfboards.

Last edited:

Alistar

Jul 9, 2006
So you didn't watch the game then

you know, we've outshot the opposition 19 times this year and yet we've only won 7 of those games, or 36%.

If I pick the team that has had the 15th best (average) goaltending in the league by save percentage - Vancouver - they've outshot their opposition 23 times and have won 15 of them - 65%.

At some point, you have to win games where you control play and outshoot the opposition. Are we going to be making excuses for Kari Lehtonen for the next 4 years while this team finishes dead last in the league in save percentage and just out of the playoffs?

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth
The PP needs to start taking a lot more of the blame for losses.

We knew going into this season that the defense was going to be bad, made up of veterans who aren't very good and young players still learning. We knew their would be issues at goaltending. I think everyone expected Kari to be better than this, but we all knew that he would be over worked because our back up goalie is terrible. On the other hand the PP should be good. When you've got Benn, Seguin, Spezza, and Hemsky available you shouldn't have a PP ranked in the bottom third of the league. They even managed to find a legitimate option for PP QB in Klingberg. There is no excuse for being this bad. When you go 0/6 on the PP, you're going to struggle to win games.

Yet Klingberg isn't on the top unit, Seguin isn't playing where he should be on the PP and the shots they are taking aren't coming quick enough, way too much settling the puck. They play well 5 on 5 so simplify the units Benn Seguin Ritchie Klingberg and Daley (sneaking him down low, his shot is worthless from the blue line),
And Cole or Eakin Spezza Hemsky with Goligoski and Demers. Rotating wingers who are playing hot in that second unit.
Or basically just keep rolling your normal lines.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Of course Schlemko was in for Oleksiak. That it's not surprising is just depressing.

Lehtonen isn't the goaltender he was even last year.

Final minute of the game, you've pulled your goaltender and the defenders are Demers/Benn, your supposed defensive pair? Why? Jordie has as much business being on the ice in that situation as I do.

Klingberg wasn't all that good, but then after the 1st period nobody else was either.

Stick a fork in them, kids. This team is going to scrape and claw and fall short. I can only hope Nill sells at the deadline and makes some seemingly obvious decisions about bad veterans and their future here with this organization going forward.

Ruff obviously needs to be given a clear message. You're playing for next year. Play the kids and stop relying on players you know cannot get the job done.

aloonda*

Ruff obviously needs to be given a clear message. You're playing for next year. Play the kids and stop relying on players you know cannot get the job done.

or

as I look at it

the good players on your team

SonicSpeedDash

All bets are off
Jun 22, 2010
Amarillo, TX
Okay so judging off posts. We lost, I know that. Goose ****ed up, Daley ****ed up, Klingberg had a bad game, Spezza is lazy, Kari is having his worst year ever, and Fraser still sucks donkey **** on the PP.

Am I right? Or pretty close?

How long is it going to be until someone steps in and finally makes a change?

Last edited:

NukeJukes43

Okay so judging off posts. We lost, I know that. Goose ****ed up, Daley ****ed up, Klingberg had a bad game, Spezza is lazy, Kari is having his worst year ever, and Fraser still sucks donkey **** on the PP.

Am I right? Or pretty close?

How long is it going to be until someone steps in and finally makes a change?

It won't happen this season. We'll sell on some vets at the deadline that obviously aren't going to return any meaningful pieces. I just hope Nill knows what the **** he's doing when it comes time to stop winning games.

If he doesn't and we miss the playoffs while not securing a top 5 pick, I'm off the Nill bandwagon. It's great that he had so much success in Detroit, but that doesn't mean he can't **** things up for us for a long time.

starsfan4ever

May 21, 2008
Schelmko looked pretty good, even though Oleksiak was scratched for him. I wouldn't mind seeing a JO and Schlemko pairing in the future. Jordie Benn really needs to sit on the pine. Just don't see why he continually gets starts. He's not bad, but he's not someone who has a concrete future here.

beltjones

Dec 4, 2014
www.breakthecipher.com
This game changed on one play: McLeod's late hit in the second. After he skated off for a line change he was making a "boo hoo" taunting gesture at the Stars' bench. After that the Avs just pinned their ears back and made it a physical game.

I can see playing Schlemko against a fast team, but against a big, physical team like Colorado? You want Oleksiak in there. You might be able to beat them with speed at home, but on the road, where stuff doesn't get called, you need more size and the ability to withstand physical play.

SonicSpeedDash

All bets are off
Jun 22, 2010
Amarillo, TX
Goalie pulled, full push for the tying goal is on, and a Jordie sighting. wtf are the coaches thinking?

No clue. But I'm over the whole coaching staff at this point, including, Ruff.

PP is abysmal, lines are always a question mark, special teams are terrible, favoring vets over youngsters on the PP a la Klingberg, goalies are sub par, Valley wanting Lindback should have been a question mark. Putting Jordie in during crucial moments like today for example, or just putting Jordie in a Stars uni in general. And our OT 4 on 4 play is complete unacceptable.

Maybe I'm just talking outta my ass, or I'm just pointing out the major flaws that everyone including myself are noticing. This teams mentality is just baffling. You loose against the Hawks in OT and it all unravels from that point.

I'm still wondering how they even got onto a hot streak given their record from October and November.

/endrant

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad