Post-Game Talk: GAME 40 - PAY PASTA NOW!!!!! - BRUINS 7 unmighty ducks 1 F

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Obviously a lot depends on the influence of his agent over Pasta. If he's a hard ball kind of guy who insists on top $ for his client & Pasta doesn't call him off, Sweeney will just have to bite the bullet and give it to him.

I can't over emphasize the damage letting Pasta walk for nothing will do to the team.
I couldn’t agree more.

Pastranak is on pace for a 60-goal season. I was an infant when Esposito played for the Bruins, so that makes David Pastranak the greatest Bruins goal scorer I’ve ever seen. You never ever let a 60-goal scorer walk away. Ever.

Unless the Bruins plan on replacing him with Connor McDavid, Pastranak must be resigned at any cost. The PR damage would be far too great and it would never be forgotten.

I don’t really get into salary cap talk or any of that, but if Connor McDavid is the best player in the NHL, then Pastranak should come in under that. I would expect the Bruins to end up paying a contract similar to what Auston Matthews is getting in Toronto. Maybe a little more.

rfournier103

Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Sweeney can sign him to any amount he pleases, he just has to make sure the team is at or under the cap once the deal kicks in. Might it mean moving someone? Yes it could & it could be someone important.
Agreed.

Who’s more important than Pastranak? It might hurt, but a tough decision will likely have to be made. Whoever the Bruins move to “make room” will have to be replaced through the draft or a clever move.

My opinion is that you re-sign Pastranak and figure the rest out after. He’s too important.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Sweeney can sign him to any amount he pleases, he just has to make sure the team is at or under the cap once the deal kicks in. Might it mean moving someone? Yes it could & it could be someone important.
Correct.

But that would be different from "screw any Cap issues".

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
at this point the record is just rediculous.
its pretty much stanley cup finals minimum or the season is a bust in my eyes.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
If potential difficulties making it work under the cap is part of the reason Sweeney hasn't gotten it done yet he needs to take a "screw any cap issues" attitude and make the deal anyway. He's got a staff that handles the cap, let them figure it out.

If you need to move players to make it work, it's not Sweeney's staff's job to do that. Its the GM's job. Evan Gold isn't talking to other teams.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Sounds like they're at the Garden lol

I wish they would show both the goalie hug and Bergy/Fliggy hug every time

One of my favorite things about hockey is the hugs

if they make it to the finals, they need to win

2019 aside, which is a big aside, if they make it that far, bergeron marchand and pasta will all need to be injured for me to forgive a loss.

i expect them to win if they make it that far, but im more expectant that they lose in the second or third round than I am that they make it all the way

they've been awesome this year but i'm cautiously optimistic they'll do anything more than make some noise in the playoffs and lose in 7 to a team that's executing better at the time they play

rfournier103

Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Once the playoffs start, I’ll be praying daily for a Sherman-esque* march to the Stanley Cup. I want to look back on the 2023 Boston Bruins and say, “that was one of the greatest hockey teams I’ve ever seen.”

*United States Army General William Tecumseh Sherman was a Civil War General who marched his army from Atlanta to Savannah while destroying absolutely everything in his path in an attempt to force the Confederates in Georgia to surrender. His campaign was so fearsome and merciless, legend has it that a young boy who was fleeing the carnage was stopped by an adult who asked why he was running. The boy answered; “I’m running because I can’t fly.”

Last edited:

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020

I guess. Let's see our health at playoff time before deciding that. There are a few guys that totally change our team makeup if we're without them in the playoffs. If we're healthy and we're going like (Islanders or Pens) --> (Leafs or Bolts)--> (Canes or Devils), that's no gimme. Some good series in there. Think I'd like to go Pens/Leafs//Devils there if I had to choose! Gimme playoff Matt Murray over big V.

I'm real curious about load management as of game 70 or something. Like 50-50 starts in nets, big minutes for the 3rd and 4th and the 3rd pairing. Nights off for vets. I really hope they do it if we get into a position where home ice is like a mathematical lock. So many years we get that key injury late. Tends to be the same guys most years too.

Dawns on me that nights off gonna be tricky with the cap.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
I guess we will all see. I am having fun are you?
Most fun I've ever had as a Bruins fan during the regular season. I was just a kid living in Boston during the Orr years, so I didn't understand what was going on as well as I do now. Limited amount of games on TV, no internet, wasn't reading the Globe sports section in kindergarten, etc. Some of the older fans might remember that the Star Market back in the 70s gave out really nice glossy oversized cards of players from time to time, so I did have my bedroom walls plastered with Bruins and Red Sox players, courtesy of the Stah Mahket. Went to bed every night with Luis Tiant and Bobby Orr staring directly at me.

2011 season was great, but the regular season was not as good as this season. Heck, there were people wanting Claude fired during the regular season in 2010-11.

Trying not to put the cart before the horse here, but I'm having a lot fun currently, and fully expect the fun to amplify once the playoffs start. This is truly a special season for many reasons.

NeelyOrr

Dec 23, 2018
Central NY
With both or either Bergy and DK maybe retiring after this season, should Sweeney make a serious attempt at acquiring Horvat from Vancouver before the TDL?

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
Bruins lead the NHL only allowing 2.13 goals per game.

The difference between the Bruins and the 2nd ranked Winnipeg Jets is larger than the gap between the Jets and the SIXTEENTH ranked Pittsburgh Penguins.

^^What makes the above number even more impressive:

To further put things into perspective, over those 27 seasons, the average goals allowed per game of the #1 ranked teams in the league each season = 2.19

That's 2.19 goals allowed per game during a period when league scoring was down (and in some years WAY down) when compared to this season.

Just yet another eye-popping stat for the 2022-23 Boston Bruins.

rfournier103

Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
With both or either Bergy and DK maybe retiring after this season, should Sweeney make a serious attempt at acquiring Horvat from Vancouver before the TDL?
Interesting thought.

If Vancouver is looking to dump talent in a run at Bedard, then they and others like them will likely sell low. After all, if they get good players in return that can actually help, that will reduce their chances of getting Bedard.

What the heck? Lowball the Canucks and see if they bite.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
In this thread we learn that letting a potential 60 goal scorer leave for nothing is damaging.

Tune in tomorrow when we learn that trading a 60 goal scorer for a 5th round pick could also be potentially damaging.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
I'm pretty confident Sweeney and Co.'s only goal this season is winning the Cup so I don't see that happening between now & the end of the season.

Reactions: rfournier103

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
Interesting thought.

If Vancouver is looking to dump talent in a run at Bedard, then they and others like them will likely sell low. After all, if they get good players in return that can actually help, that will reduce their chances of getting Bedard.

What the heck? Lowball the Canucks and see if they bite.

It's been explained more or less to infinity (in the roster thread) that it's essentially impossible to do.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I guess. Let's see our health at playoff time before deciding that. There are a few guys that totally change our team makeup if we're without them in the playoffs. If we're healthy and we're going like (Islanders or Pens) --> (Leafs or Bolts)--> (Canes or Devils), that's no gimme. Some good series in there. Think I'd like to go Pens/Leafs//Devils there if I had to choose! Gimme playoff Matt Murray over big V.

I'm real curious about load management as of game 70 or something. Like 50-50 starts in nets, big minutes for the 3rd and 4th and the 3rd pairing. Nights off for vets. I really hope they do it if we get into a position where home ice is like a mathematical lock. So many years we get that key injury late. Tends to be the same guys most years too.

Dawns on me that nights off gonna be tricky with the cap.

I think Monty has done a great job managing everybody's minutes & giving out maintenance days so perhaps nights off won't be necessary. For example, look at how he's managed Patrice Bergeron's minutes. I don't think Bergy has played more than 20 minutes a game all season, I think he's averaging around 15, which is great for a player his age & who has experienced groin issues in the past.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Our goal differential is +68. Toronto is second with a +33.

Also, Marchy has 37 points in 32 games and Krejci has 31 points in 35 games.

We could potentially have 7 20 goal scorers.

Mind boggling but I have no complaints just gratitude and smiles

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad