GDT: Game 4: Wild @ Coyotes ~ 10/15/15 19:00 PDT ~ FSA

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
In theory maybe. 1-20 though :laugh: Yeah yeah sample size etc etc.

I don't think either is a good option really. Stone still has a cannon but he can't get it to the net through traffic. At least though I'd feel more comfortable with Stone going up against a skilled PKer.

Before last nights game I was going to suggest even Dahlbeck get some looks on the 2nd unit but he was pretty brutal with passes last night. Then again so was just about everybody.

I don't know. I guess neither has really been amazing. I trust Boedker's footspeed and defense more than I trust Stone's footspeed and defense. If a play breaks down, I feel more comfortable with Boedker being able to find the puck and re-kindle than force a shot into weak traffic.

He should be playing over Downie. He brings absolutely nothing. Stupid penalties and he hasn't even dropped the gloves when we've needed him to. Horrible signing that we didn't need.

Some of it is on Downie being targeted anyhow. Even if he has to say something about a subjective call or non-call, it is going to make the refs not want to listen 100% of the time. The less he does that, the refs chances of calling the penalty increase a much better percentage of the time.

He does the little thing of keeping teams honest. Minnesota was the most physical team that we have played to this point, and if he can stay on the ice more often in these types of games, he can change momentum. The minutes he puts in suggest 3rd or 4th line, but I wouldn't mind throwing him up on a de facto line with Domi at some point in the season. He crashes the net and seems to pick up some dirty goals, so it may work for a few game stretch. Like him on the forecheck and board work. The penalties do need to get toned down though.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
I mean, if teams wanna go after Downie instead of Domi and Duclair i'm all for having him in the lineup

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
There was one play where Tippett rushed over on the bench and restrained Downie. Probably so he didn't do something stupid, like when David Clarkson jumped on the ice and got that 10-game suspension.

But that's the fine line with Downie. He's effective when he stays on the good side of stupid. Against Minnesota he didn't. The key is minimizing the games like those.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I also saw Tippett restrain Duclair, as well. It was during the scrum Duclair was involved in while on the bench, that led to one of the stupid Downie penalties. In fact, most of Downie's penalties have come from sticking up for either Duclair or Smith. They are stupid, but at least they are well meaning. :dunno:

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I also saw Tippett restrain Duclair, as well. It was during the scrum Duclair was involved in while on the bench, that led to one of the stupid Downie penalties. In fact, most of Downie's penalties have come from sticking up for either Duclair or Smith. They are stupid, but at least they are well meaning. :dunno:

I'd much prefer downie last night over his first three games. He did take some dumb penalties, but that's a fair trade off for him sticking up for team mates and in general playing with an edge.

In a year or two when we are ready to compete, we need someone who's a little smarter about it. For this year, we need someone to help change the culture from gutless to I'll come at you like a spider monkey. He can help do that I think.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
I'd much prefer downie last night over his first three games. He did take some dumb penalties, but that's a fair trade off for him sticking up for team mates and in general playing with an edge.

In a year or two when we are ready to compete, we need someone who's a little smarter about it. For this year, we need someone to help change the culture from gutless to I'll come at you like a spider monkey. He can help do that I think.

I don't mind what Downie did one bit. Rattle the cages. We have been a team that just sits back and lets the other team take it to us, not right now.

After a day of reflection, I'm still amazed we were even in that game. We took advantage of the opportunities we had, but we deserved to lose that game the way we allowed them to score 2 goals within a minute after we scored a goal.

Power Play, has to change. Our PK has done great early on, but the PP not so much.

Take that game and learn something from it. Still starting off much better than most people would have thought. I'm just more impressed in that the team is fun to watch right now. Win or lose, as long as the players are still trying and look like they care.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I don't mind what Downie did one bit. Rattle the cages. We have been a team that just sits back and lets the other team take it to us, not right now.

After a day of reflection, I'm still amazed we were even in that game. We took advantage of the opportunities we had, but we deserved to lose that game the way we allowed them to score 2 goals within a minute after we scored a goal.

Power Play, has to change. Our PK has done great early on, but the PP not so much.

Take that game and learn something from it. Still starting off much better than most people would have thought. I'm just more impressed in that the team is fun to watch right now. Win or lose, as long as the players are still trying and look like they care.

I agree with both you guys.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003

He's going to get a lot of reputation calls, too. It's sort of like Carcillo. I'd rather see that unharnessed energy than no energy at all after the past two seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad