GDT: Game 4: Wild @ Coyotes ~ 10/15/15 19:00 PDT ~ FSA

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Anyone coming over to my trade Boedker stance. Complimentary player. Doesn't drive offense. Not worth the term he's going to want.

At lot of us have been on that train. Especially since every contract negotiations has been a pita. Seems to me he was purposefully burning his RFA years

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
At times, we looked like the team that played the night before. Minnesota's defensive game plan really gave us fits. We just couldn't find much through the neutral zone and couldn't maintain pressure easily. First time that I have seen us come up short on the 50/50 pucks this year.

But overall, we battled hard. Felt like there were a lot of weird calls in the game that kind of slowed momentum, especially in the last 5-10 mins of the game. Not saying that the whistle has to be swallowed, but at least one call for each side seemed a bit ticky-tack.

Defense got burned by overcommitting two players on one body. The PP has its forgettable moments. As much as people want to keep Stone in there instead of Boedker, we have a lot more fluidity to the PP with Boedker instead of Stone. Minnesota was very aggressive on the PK, so that also worked against tired legs.

Still happy with the team. Minnesota is damn good, and played a good game against a team that played the night before. As long as we compete like this against other solid teams, it will work out fine...

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
I was at the game last night and the thing that concerned me the most was Shane Doan's play. He looked slow and I counted 3 giveaways on one power play! I thought Chipchura played better last night than Doan and that is not saying much...

We have all seen Doan get off to slow starts, but this one looks exceedingly slow. And it's not just speed, as you say. I watched those same three PP giveaways. Even though he has been a slow skater in past years, at least you could rely on him being strong on the puck, winning battles, getting clean shots through. I haven't see any of that.

I'm less worried about Boedker. It has only been four games, and it's not his fault they're putting him up on the point. Sure it was just a red-vs-white game during the pre-season, but he was the best player on both ends in that game. I am confident will see the emerging Boedker that we saw last season pretty soon. Maybe we should give the season another dozen or so games before any more talk about trades and sending him down.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
As much as people want to keep Stone in there instead of Boedker, we have a lot more fluidity to the PP with Boedker instead of Stone. Minnesota was very aggressive on the PK, so that also worked against tired legs.

In theory maybe. 1-20 though :laugh: Yeah yeah sample size etc etc.

I don't think either is a good option really. Stone still has a cannon but he can't get it to the net through traffic. At least though I'd feel more comfortable with Stone going up against a skilled PKer.

Before last nights game I was going to suggest even Dahlbeck get some looks on the 2nd unit but he was pretty brutal with passes last night. Then again so was just about everybody.

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
Bad:
-Too many penalties (Downie was a complete disaster with 14 mins. Already picked up a second unsportsmanlike conduct of the season.)
-Doan is worthless at this point
-OEL had a terrible game
-Veterans are still super under performing
-Smith lost his magic

Good:
-Youth are preforming stellar.
-Out shot the Wild. "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"
-Crowd was really into the game.
-Timbits

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Bad:
-Too many penalties (Downie was a complete disaster with 14 mins. Already picked up a second unsportsmanlike conduct of the season.)
-OEL had a terrible game
-Smith lost his magic
-Cole slaw

Good:
-Timbits
-Buffalo chicken sandwich with the cole slaw taken off

Yes, I agree.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Bad:
-OEL had a terrible game
-Smith lost his magic

Good:
-Timbits

Disagree on the smith comment, but everything else, perfect.

Went last light and was actually pleasantly surprised to see how many bodies in seats there were, especially on a weds.

Oliver had a miserable game. Was soul responsible on the Vanek goal and was sat for a chunk of time after that.

Not too disappointed at the loss and we didn't get blown out. Had that game gone another 5 minutes I think we tie it.

On to the next.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Another thing I recognized, the PA announcer isn't as bad as he was the first game and preseason. He's not Paul, but he's not as bad as some of them around the league.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Another thing I recognized, the PA announcer isn't as bad as he was the first game and preseason. He's not Paul, but he's not as bad as some of them around the league.

His random pauses all the time are hilarious. He sounds like a guy who hasn't done the job for awhile and is really rusty.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Anyone coming over to my trade Boedker stance. Complimentary player. Doesn't drive offense. Not worth the term he's going to want.

Maybe, but last year he was on pace for 30 goals before the spleen burst.

The season is still young.

Lets see how we feel at the end. If the kid puts up 25 goals and 50 pts he may be a keeper for the right price, but he might also be trade bate at the deadline.

I'll be sad to see him go, but mostly because of all the emotional energy I've invested in him.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
No. Boedker has been and still is one of the Coyotes best 2 way forwards, I see no reason to jump on a "trade Boedker" bandwagon. Retaining Boedker is going to come down to one thing and one thing only...contract. He's going to need to accept a contract based on market value, not on projection. It reminds me of when Upshall wanted to be paid like a 30 goal scorer and DM saying "Score 30 goals first" (incidentally Upshall still isn't a 30 goal scorer). It's the same with Boeds, he's a very good player but his contract should be that of a 2 way 50pt forward. I do fear his agent is going to ask for 30 goal money and if that's the case then reluctantly I would have to agree...you trade him.

One thing is for certain, DM better either sign or trade Boeds before the trade deadline!!!

cactus shake

Oct 22, 2013
If Boedker does leave, who can be added (aside from Vrbata's obvious return!) Haven't yet had a look at the upcoming UFAs / potential RFA trade options. Can we comfortably head into next year with a top 6 including Domi, Duclair…Rieder, Perlini(?) & with a lack of scoring threat through the rest of the lineup? I like the way they're insulating the rookies with veteran centres this year, but that feels like a huge offensive burden to place on the youngsters. When the young players hit a rough patch, at the moment we're back to moving ineffective, played out options back up the lineup. There feels like a lot of roster turnover still to come.

I'm comfortable with Boedker deciding his own fate. If he doesn't step up then he's not the guy to insulate the young players anyway; if he has a great season, then I'm confident a contract will get sorted.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
If Boedker does leave, who can be added (aside from Vrbata's obvious return!) Haven't yet had a look at the upcoming UFAs / potential RFA trade options. Can we comfortably head into next year with a top 6 including Domi, Duclair…Rieder, Perlini(?) & with a lack of scoring threat through the rest of the lineup? I like the way they're insulating the rookies with veteran centres this year, but that feels like a huge offensive burden to place on the youngsters. When the young players hit a rough patch, at the moment we're back to moving ineffective, played out options back up the lineup. There feels like a lot of roster turnover still to come.

I'm comfortable with Boedker deciding his own fate. If he doesn't step up then he's not the guy to insulate the young players anyway; if he has a great season, then I'm confident a contract will get sorted.

Okposo?

I'd rather give him big money than give it to Boedker.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I was at the game last night and the thing that concerned me the most was Shane Doan's play. He looked slow and I counted 3 giveaways on one power play! I thought Chipchura played better last night than Doan and that is not saying much . . . .

This is the worst that I have seen Doan play.

Would really like to see another player on the point for the power play. It's time for the vets to step up and start scoring. I love seeing Domi, Duclair and Hanzal lighting it up, but it can't last. When they hit their droughts Doan, Boedker, Richardson, and Vermette need to be producing.

Our vets have been very quite thus far.

For the 3rd line, what about moving Martinook up with Richardson and Doan? Heck, I'd love to add another kid from Portland, but not sure if any of them are playing well enough to warrant a promotion.

I don't think you will see a call up for awhile, unless we run into injuries.

Didn't look great for a while there but the way they handled the adversity and fought their way almost all the way back leaves me satisfied once again. Last year the team certainly wouldn't respond like that to three goal deficits.

They never gave up, and that is DT's style.

Well, thanks to some good drafting, everyone gets to ride the skill train (whether they want to or not).

Boedker+ for Vatanen sounds good to me right about now.

Your not going to get squat for Boedker at the moment, so we may as well play him and see what happens.

No, but it depends on what he wants.

If boedker wants to resign for cheap ish I'm all for it, even if his offense remains inconsistent he's still a valuable player, but unless he starts tearing it up(even then I'd worry about him dropping off next year) I wouldn't give him too much money. Trading him may be for the best though, we'll need a spot for perlini and probably dvorak next year.

Perlini and Dvorak have to make the team first, there not going to be given a spot. Strome will be here next year and maybe HS. Much can happen between now and then.

At times, we looked like the team that played the night before. Minnesota's defensive game plan really gave us fits. We just couldn't find much through the neutral zone and couldn't maintain pressure easily. First time that I have seen us come up short on the 50/50 pucks this year.

But overall, we battled hard. Felt like there were a lot of weird calls in the game that kind of slowed momentum, especially in the last 5-10 mins of the game. Not saying that the whistle has to be swallowed, but at least one call for each side seemed a bit ticky-tack.

Defense got burned by overcommitting two players on one body. The PP has its forgettable moments. As much as people want to keep Stone in there instead of Boedker, we have a lot more fluidity to the PP with Boedker instead of Stone. Minnesota was very aggressive on the PK, so that also worked against tired legs.

Still happy with the team. Minnesota is damn good, and played a good game against a team that played the night before. As long as we compete like this against other solid teams, it will work out fine...

Good analysis.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Might be worth giving Joey Vitale a look. I imagine he's pretty revved up after 4 straight scratches.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Might be worth giving Joey Vitale a look. I imagine he's pretty revved up after 4 straight scratches.

He should be playing over Downie. He brings absolutely nothing. Stupid penalties and he hasn't even dropped the gloves when we've needed him to. Horrible signing that we didn't need.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
We have all seen Doan get off to slow starts, but this one looks exceedingly slow. And it's not just speed, as you say. I watched those same three PP giveaways. Even though he has been a slow skater in past years, at least you could rely on him being strong on the puck, winning battles, getting clean shots through. I haven't see any of that.

I'm less worried about Boedker. It has only been four games, and it's not his fault they're putting him up on the point. Sure it was just a red-vs-white game during the pre-season, but he was the best player on both ends in that game. I am confident will see the emerging Boedker that we saw last season pretty soon. Maybe we should give the season another dozen or so games before any more talk about trades and sending him down.

Doan is used to getting a lot of ice time ... This year will be a slow slow start as he has less minutes per game .. IMO .. could be wrong

I would like to see Boeds play up front on the PP, where he got his goals from last year, And would like to see Domi as an experiment on the point .. He played that sometimes in juniors and made a lot of things happen.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
He should be playing over Downie. He brings absolutely nothing. Stupid penalties and he hasn't even dropped the gloves when we've needed him to. Horrible signing that we didn't need.

I think Downie's play has been OK but he has hurt us with dumb penalties. He needs to keep his edge but not take dumb penalties, that can't continue or Tip will bench him. If we see Joe V in his place tomorrow night, Tip will have sent the message. We just can't take dumb penalties.

I am disappointed in the play of Doan/Bods/Vermette, everyone else is over achieving or fine as to what realistic expectations should be, even Chip(flame away). Doan starts slow, might just be too old now, Bods is being asked to do too much, and Vermette might have a cup hangover. I expect all 3 to be better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad