Post-Game Talk: Game 4: Wait.... There's Hockey tonight too? Flyers v Blackhawks

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I makes you wonder why more free agents that are tied to entry level contracts like Vesey, Hayes and Panarin don't sign with Florida teams.

If you think in terms of percentages, they're both around 39%, which isn't that much lower than say Chicago at 42%, just for a quick example as I don't remember who else was lower as well.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
You have to take into account not only taxes, but escrow percentage and around 5%-ish going to the agent, as well.

Right. Then there's cost of living expenses like rent/mortgage(sometimes multiple homes), food, personal trainers, supplements, workout equipment, vehicles, etc. I believe they typically get much of the escrow % back, though as long as the league does well.

There's an article out there with a good breakdown of it. I'll try to find it.

Edit: Found it.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/a...e-on-a-1-million-salary-not-as-much-you-think

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I makes you wonder why more free agents that are tied to entry level contracts like Vesey, Hayes and Panarin don't sign with Florida teams.

East coast kids having an opportunity to play at MSG and NYC are big pulls. Russian kid having a chance to play with Kane and Toews / a chance to raise the Cup has to be appealing. I don't think taxes and weather come too into play until they start experiencing the American lifestyle. Then you become like Jagr (Czech) ... who just loves the Miami lifestyle.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Actually I was thinking more along the lines of Stevie Y and Stamkos. It took months for the negotiations to be finalized but it was worth it for TB going forward. And Stamkos is still happy though I'm sure he wanted more money (and could have got it elsewhere).

And if Stamkos had signed with Toronto?

It's really easy for people to tell other people what they should do with money that isn't theirs.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
This is true, but when you look at the last 25 games of the season (post Kane injury, post TDL) the entire team tightened up a ton.

And through the playoffs, the top 4 was pretty damn stellar.

Granted, for Seabrook, that stretch stands as the anomaly since 2013. But early indications this season are encouraging.
I disagree partially.

Oduya helped in the last bit of the reg season when he stopped playing in lobotomy mode, but the D was a Monglian C.F. against Nashville up until Crawford got put in in game 6. From there Keith took over but before that 500k Darling had to bail their multimillion butts out.

And I do agree about Seabs this season. He looks great.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Not sure what to think of this game. Happy for Hossa to get that Milestone. It Looks like I don't like Hinostroza. I think he isn't fitting with the Team. I like Schmaltz, guy is going to be pretty good and a Top6 Center.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
Cmon boys - back to arguing about Toews, Stan and rambling fiddy posts.

I feel like I stumbled into a tax accountant conference at a bad Hilton Garden Inn in Des Moines...

:)

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Cmon boys - back to arguing about Toews, Stan and rambling fiddy posts.

I feel like I stumbled into a tax accountant conference at a bad Hilton Garden Inn in Des Moines...

:)

Is the Hilton that big hotel in the middle of downtown Des Moines near the Principal Building? Sadly, I've been in that hotel. Des Moines ... what a trip (especially flying in from NYC). Really nice people though.

Idionym

Apr 6, 2015
Chicago
Is the Hilton that big hotel in the middle of downtown Des Moines near the Principal Building? Sadly, I've been in that hotel. Des Moines ... what a trip (especially flying in from NYC). Really nice people though.

Iowa people are significantly nicer.

I'm in Ames atm. Coming from the north shore these people are basically saints.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad