GDT: Game #4: St. Louis Blues @ Chicago Blackhawks

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Well, that OT goal wasn't as obvious as people keep saying. I mean Shattenkirk played the situation more or less right, because it looked like it was going to be 2 vs 1 or even 3 vs 1. You have to prevent such situations before they happen. Especially in the playoffs OT. And especially when it's players like Kane on the ice.

JustOneB4IDie

Duel Cancer Survivor
Jan 31, 2011
Imperial, Missouri
I know I'm not a Blues fan, but it's hilarious that some of you are suggesting to trade Oshie. He's on a great contract and one of the best players on the Blues. He's also coming off an injury.

This series is far from over.

This, the series is far from over.

On a Oshie trade? Well I don't see it. However I'll point out that in 23 playoff games for Oshie, he's only produced 2 goals and 3 assists for 5 points in his career and zero points so far this series... Oshie and Steen need to start producing, Period.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
This, the series is far from over.

On a Oshie trade? Well I don't see it. However I'll point out that in 23 playoff games for Oshie, he's only produced 2 goals and 3 assists for 5 points in his career and zero points so far this series... Oshie and Steen need to start producing, Period.

I'm not an Oshie fan and suggested trading him many times, but with what he is going thru with his kid, I'll give him a pass this season. He may not be at the top of his game right now, but I don't think any parent can be in that situation.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
I would try my best to package Oshie and Shattenkirk for a top young center (Nugent Hopkins) and make Vanek priority #1. Jake Allen has earned a chance at starting. It's not like he's going to have an overly tough act to follow.

I think putting Oshie in a package with Berglund could net you the top center you are looking for. I think Oshie alone may get you more than you think.

***not that I'm advocating a trade. Just speaking in general terms Oshie fans on his value.

Old Blueser

Jan 28, 2012
Oshie took a huge hit to the head very recently, I think it's naive to assume he doesn't have a concussion just because he's playing. His decision making with the puck has been slower. I actually thought last night's game was an improvement.

He's also not playing with great linemates. Speaking of someone who got hit in the head this season and didn't return to form, Steen has been really frustrating. Passes backwards over and over again and is generally too passive.

I can't blame Oshie, I think it's insane he's even playing after taking that hit.

Hawks are a good team, and we fell asleep on that third goal, thinking we had already won. I feel like we came out pretty even with momentum. It's not a heartbreaker, someone has to win or lose in OT. Now we play best of 3. LGB!

Sushiko

Don’t touch my Bozak
Jul 7, 2011
PHX AZ
Name one team that has won a Cup that has done so without going through a "tough opponent." The Blues may have gotten some tough draws in the 1st round of the playoffs, but they are not going to go through the West by playing a cupcake schedule.

The Blues as currently constructed look to be a great, steady regular season team that doesn't have the next gear for the playoffs. They have too many grunts and not enough leaders and creators.

Um, no kidding. Isn't that what the playoffs are? The SCFs aren't one good and one "lame" opponent. Eventually you have to play the best, and most of the playoffs are the toughest, of course. I know one person mentioned LA in 12, but the likelihood of a team winning the cup and never facing a good or tough opponent is practically nil. The team has to be better if they want to even make the finals. Hell in my lifetime I think the Blues have maybe made 3rd round once? I really don't know what it's like. I'm sorry but I do expect better. Like the one poster, I'm tired of, "well, they did outplay [opponent]" or other excuses about why they are at least doing better despite losing and not making progress in the playoffs. Yeah, I really would like better at some point in my life from the Blues, from the time I was in diapers before I go back into them as an adult. :laugh: I apologize if that makes me a crappy fan.

The Highs and Lows and emotional rollercoaster on every playoff series the Blues have been in their History makes me a typical Missorian, "Show me" Blues. I'll believe it when I see it and history isn't on the Blues side.

So true, I am very much a "Show me" kind of Missourian. And when history keeps repeating it's hard for me to believe otherwise. When something has been one way for so many years, why would I ever believe otherwise?

But yeah, the morning is here and I'm not as emotional, it is best of 3 now with home ice advantage, or maybe I'm just trying to tell myself that so I don't have another rant. I hope for the best. If not hey, we...." always have next year" :sarcasm::(:p::rant::laugh::help::help:

Last edited:

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Btw does Tarasenko have any problems with a stamina? I mean he was the 6th by TOI amongst all the Blues forwards behind Oshie, Steen, Schwartz, Sobotka and Berglund. And he played only 2 seconds more than Ott.

Maya Blue

Jan 17, 2013
Btw does Tarasenko have any problems with a stamina? I mean he was the 6th by TOI amongst all the Blues forwards behind Oshie, Steen, Schwartz, Sobotka and Berglund. And he played only 2 seconds more than Ott.

It might have to do with the penalty kill. 5 on 5 he would have been in the top 3.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Target: Stastny and a solid two way defensemen.

Drop: one of jackman or polak and Roy.

Trade: berglund + for a nick bonino type of player.

New lines:
Steen-Stastny-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Backes-Oshie
Bonino type guy- Sobotka- Ott
Cracknell-Lapierre-Reaves

scratches: porter, morrow(maybe) and Paajarvi

Defense:
Jbo-Petro
Solid 2 way guy- Shattenkirk
Jackman- Cole or Cole-Polak

Miller
Allen

heck, i'd be fine with trading berglund for a draft pick, Seeing if one of paajarvi, rattie and jaskin can earn a spot on that 3rd line in camp.

TuukYou14

Pro: Forum Lurking
Aug 6, 2009
Saint Louis
Not sure if this has been brought up in detail yet, but does anyone else get extremely frustrated watching this team play the dump game on the powerplay?

I don't get what is so difficult about skating the puck in, with defenders skating backwards, and stopping about 5 feet into the offensive zone to maintain puch control and set up the powerplay.

I watched J-bo in particular slap the puck to the back of the offensive zone, only to have crawford (who anticipated it) cut the puck off behind the net for a defender to make the long dump back into the blues zone.

There's something that drives me absolutely nuts about a player wanting to give up puck control on a powerplay. You have the extra man... skate the puck in, stop quickly (which i saw only once from oshie and maybe one other time last night), and the hawks have no choice but to set up their penalty kill. Both of the times we maintained control in the offensive zone, we set up the powerplay, and at least got the puck on net.

Disclosure: Before anyone jumps on this and says "that's how the blues play, hard forechecking... etc," I get it... thats how they play. Shouldn't be that way on the powerplay.

TuukYou14

Aug 6, 2009
Saint Louis
So...

Why do you guys call Tarasenko Frank?

FranktheTank.jpg

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
i think it is time to put oshie and millers faces on a milk jug

The issue isn't really whether Miller has been good. You expect a guy like him to be good. He's let in some softies in this series.

But more than that. You expect a guy like Ryan Miller to actually steal one game in the series. To be THE reason you won one. Not the whole series but one critical game.

Hasn't that happened so far?

Based on what was traded, I think Blues fans do have a right to demand more from Miller.

committedindian86

Bedard SZN
Jun 7, 2010
Chicago, IL
This series is probably going to give us all heart attacks. Something we will be able to look forward to for the next 5-10 years with the new/old division format and these teams meeting up almost every year in the playoffs.

Maya Blue

Jan 17, 2013
Not sure if this has been brought up in detail yet, but does anyone else get extremely frustrated watching this team play the dump game on the powerplay?

I don't get what is so difficult about skating the puck in, with defenders skating backwards, and stopping about 5 feet into the offensive zone to maintain puch control and set up the powerplay.

I watched J-bo in particular slap the puck to the back of the offensive zone, only to have crawford (who anticipated it) cut the puck off behind the net for a defender to make the long dump back into the blues zone.

There's something that drives me absolutely nuts about a player wanting to give up puck control on a powerplay. You have the extra man... skate the puck in, stop quickly (which i saw only once from oshie and maybe one other time last night), and the hawks have no choice but to set up their penalty kill. Both of the times we maintained control in the offensive zone, we set up the powerplay, and at least got the puck on net.

Disclosure: Before anyone jumps on this and says "that's how the blues play, hard forechecking... etc," I get it... thats how they play. Shouldn't be that way on the powerplay.

Here's another one I get so frustrated with. Why the heck are we always beat on a back door play? And in comparison, we rarely even try it.

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
I think putting Oshie in a package with Berglund could net you the top center you are looking for. I think Oshie alone may get you more than you think.

***not that I'm advocating a trade. Just speaking in general terms Oshie fans on his value.

Oshie and Berglund for Kadri and Raymond.

NO TAKEBACKS!!!

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Well, that OT goal wasn't as obvious as people keep saying. I mean Shattenkirk played the situation more or less right, because it looked like it was going to be 2 vs 1 or even 3 vs 1. You have to prevent such situations before they happen. Especially in the playoffs OT. And especially when it's players like Kane on the ice.

He played it right initially. But once he realized he had backside pressure on the other winger he should have stepped up and planted on on Kane.

zero39

Dec 15, 2005
As an outside observer from Buffalo, I am amazed by the negativity on this board. Your team lost a ton of players down the stretch to injuries, you're still missing your captain, Oshie is clearly not at full strength, and you are 2-2 with the defending Stanley Cup champs.

And no, Ryan Miller is not God, or Dominik Hasek. He is not going to completely shut down one of the top offensive powers in the NHL, particularly since your defense does break down sometimes. Ryan doesn't get shutouts, but he is a very good goalie who will occasionally let in a softie (often from long range), but will make many spectacular saves and will always be solid. He's good enough to backstop a team to the Stanley Cup, but he isn't going to carry the team by himself.

Is Miller substantially better than Halak? Probably not, but he is more experienced, and consistent, and has performed well under pressure in the past. He is doing well now, considering that the fans here basically will regard the trade as a failure if the Blues don't win the Cup. Try playing under that spotlight some time.

Your team is deep, plays hard, and is well-coached. Unfortunately, they are in a conference that is loaded with good teams. I say enjoy the ride. Good luck. Like many in Buffalo who have come to admire Ryan Miller as a player and a person over the years, I am rooting for the Blues to win it all.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
this is the same crap that they pulled last year, are you guys too blind to see this? atleast last year you could say quick was the difference but seriously, they are about to blow another 2-0 lead to COREY CRAWFORD. if tarasenko has done anything this series it is that when you throw pucks on net vs this guy, they go in yet nobody else on the team takes the same approach (especially on the pp)

"We outplayed them!"

"We did great to rally and take the lead after being down two!"

"Don't worry, we'll win in St. Louis! We have home ice!"

"We played hard tonight!"

this is why we will never win a cup because the players and fans mentality is exactly the same, they are content with just making the playoffs.

Wait so when did we lose the series? Because I was under the impression that it was tied 2-2 and had basically become best of 3. With 2 of those games being at home. Jesus, the negativity here is astounding. I'm talking mind-boggling.

TuukYou14

Aug 6, 2009
Saint Louis
As an outside observer from Buffalo, I am amazed by the negativity on this board. Your team lost a ton of players down the stretch to injuries, you're still missing your captain, Oshie is clearly not at full strength, and you are 2-2 with the defending Stanley Cup champs.

And no, Ryan Miller is not God, or Dominik Hasek. He is not going to completely shut down one of the top offensive powers in the NHL, particularly since your defense does break down sometimes. Ryan doesn't get shutouts, but he is a very good goalie who will occasionally let in a softie (often from long range), but will make many spectacular saves and will always be solid. He's good enough to backstop a team to the Stanley Cup, but he isn't going to carry the team by himself.

Is Miller substantially better than Halak? Probably not, but he is more experienced, and consistent, and has performed well under pressure in the past. He is doing well now, considering that the fans here basically will regard the trade as a failure if the Blues don't win the Cup. Try playing under that spotlight some time.

Your team is deep, plays hard, and is well-coached. Unfortunately, they are in a conference that is loaded with good teams. I say enjoy the ride. Good luck. Like many in Buffalo who have come to admire Ryan Miller as a player and a person over the years, I am rooting for the Blues to win it all.

I don't place blame of either loss on Miller. Without him, there is a fair chance we are worse than 2-2 right now. Thats just me.

It's easy for a fan base that has been given hope for the past few years of a decent run at the cup, to get down over things we see the team do. We are, and have been a great team all year... the biggest problem is that - we are a "great team." We are missing a key piece to that "great team" right now, and should be grateful it is 2-2 at this point. The grit to come back in the end of the 2nd was impressive. I nearly (along with everyone sitting on this forum last night) was ready to call it a game, and chalk it up as a loss when chi scored the 2nd goal. Bring it on home, and lets get up in this thing 3-2.

side note: I have been most impressed with Lapierre over the course of the playoffs, and least impressed with how steen (our leading goal scorer). Maybe i'm blind, but I haven't seen him do a thing.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I'll say this. Backes seems to be the catalyst for the first line. Steen and Backes work well together, backes and oshie work well together. Oshie and Steen don't for whatever reason. All 3 together and it was one of the most ferocious lines this year. We get the captain back for Friday and I'll have hope. If not...well the current trend seems to be following history. At least we're consistent at that.

lapierre definitely has a playoff gear

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad