Pre-Game Talk: Game 4 @ Philly (Mason to Start)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Would be nice if we could finally take command of a series and have a short one as opposed to another 7 gamer. Rangers haven't had a two game series lead since 2009 (up 2-0 and 3-1 v. the Caps) and a lot of that has been due to their failures in games 2 and 4. Including this series, it's been 7 series since they've had a two game lead.

Edit - To add on to this, the Rangers haven't won a series in less than 7 games since 08 v. New Jersey. So yeah, win this one please.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Would be nice if we could finally take command of a series and have a short one as opposed to another 7 gamer. Rangers haven't had a two game series lead since 2009 (up 2-0 and 3-1 v. the Caps) and a lot of that has been due to their failures in games 2 and 4. Including this series, it's been 7 series since they've had a two game lead.

I could use something that is less heart attack inducing (such as a 5 game series).

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Win this and we're in great shape. Sure would be nice to have game 5 at MSG a possible clincher.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here

Edit - To add on to this, the Rangers haven't won a series in less than 7 games since 08 v. New Jersey. So yeah, win this one please.

Was thinking the same thing after Game 1. Very important considering how they ran out of gas against the Devils a couple years ago. But that was compounded by Torts not rolling 4 lines and only trusting 2 pairs of D.

But gotta win tomorrow before we can really think of closing it out in less than 7. The Flyers are a good team and the Rangers need to do everything to break their spirit tomorrow.

Richter Scale

Aug 4, 2012
Loss. Until they prove they can win back to back playoff games, I will never pick them to win the next game following a win.

I get the sentiment, and the cynic in me agrees with it.

But, uh what? They won back to back games in the Ottawa series in 11-12 (games 6 and 7). And also twice in the Caps series in 12-13 (games 3 and 4; and games 6 and 7). Granted their backs were against the wall in all of those situations. And those were very different teams from what this one is now.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Got to expect we'll see the strongest all around effort yet from the Flyers tomorrow. They are in a we'll it's not a must win but it kind of is situation. Can't lose 2 in a row at home and go down 1-3 in a series and have any serious expectation of winning the series. This should be the toughest game yet. We pull out the W and things are looking pretty good.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
More of the same, really. Continue to be as tight as they were in the D zone. I'm hoping no one goes out of their way to take a dumb penalty against Read. Similar to what Carcillo did to Giroux (which was embellishment on Claude's part, but whatever) don't even put the ref in the situation to make the call.

Score within the first ten minutes, or keep it scoreless. Give them a reason to quit early.

Test Mason. He's seen 10 minutes of live game action in the past couple of weeks, let's see where he is. Let's see where his rebound control is.

Keep doing what we're doing. The Flyers will take their penalties, it's their nature. Get one on the PP, and let's take this back to MSG 3-1. Shed the Tortorella years of countless 7 game series :nod:

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I feel like if they can take an early lead or keep it tied well into the game they'll start to get plenty of opportunities because the Flyers will become a desperate team and open it up. I expect Philly to come out strong to try an avoid that. They havent had good starts in any of the 3 games, so they will put an emphasis on that, especially being at home.

I think for the Rangers, they really need to bear down early and capitalize on their chances. You dont want Mason to get comfortable and you want to crush the Flyers spirit. The fans will start to turn on them if they find themselves in a 2-0 hole again. First period is huge, but its not everything

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Got to expect we'll see the strongest all around effort yet from the Flyers tomorrow. They are in a we'll it's not a must win but it kind of is situation. Can't lose 2 in a row at home and go down 1-3 in a series and have any serious expectation of winning the series. This should be the toughest game yet. We pull out the W and things are looking pretty good.

Is there any time in the playoffs where the Rangers should be expecting a crappy effort from the other team?

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Philly at home after a loss? Rangers up a game with some breathing room? Yea it's gonna be a tough W.

He has played well but I think it's fair to say Henrik has another level, that's how good he is. If he finds it Friday I like their odds.

Ilovemymum

recreational MD
Feb 17, 2010
This has a loss written all over it, so expecting a solid win. Duplicate of game 3, but a bit uglier.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
When they play the Capitals?

Touche.

But seriously, do we think any pro athletes go into a playoff game thinking they're not going to bring their best that night?

Sometimes they have it, sometimes they dont - just like any other game. Just so happens the playoffs are under a microscope.

Bullseyes

Aug 16, 2013
It's going to be a tough win, but like others have said, it'd be nice for them to actually win back to back games and have a 3-1 win lead... hopefully win the series and in less than 7 games.

nikonsniper*

the worst part about a potential 7-game series is that 6 and 7 are back to back, and then second round could start right away.

Wonderful NHL scheduling again.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
the worst part about a potential 7-game series is that 6 and 7 are back to back, and then second round could start right away.

The scheduling is not much different than the regular season, yet now everything is an issue. I find it fascinating.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY

The even funnier part about this crappy schedule is that Montreal and Tampa Bay would have played Game 5 today, one day before the Rangers play Game 4.

KingP

Mar 24, 2012
New york
More of the same, really. Continue to be as tight as they were in the D zone. I'm hoping no one goes out of their way to take a dumb penalty against Read. Similar to what Carcillo did to Giroux (which was embellishment on Claude's part, but whatever) don't even put the ref in the situation to make the call.

Score within the first ten minutes, or keep it scoreless. Give them a reason to quit early.

Test Mason. He's seen 10 minutes of live game action in the past couple of weeks, let's see where he is. Let's see where his rebound control is.

Keep doing what we're doing. The Flyers will take their penalties, it's their nature. Get one on the PP, and let's take this back to MSG 3-1. Shed the Tortorella years of countless 7 game series :nod:

Agreed

need to come out strong and get that first goal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad