GDT: Game 4: Penguins (2-2-0) @ Blues (1-1-1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Binnington doesn't need to improve and you need to stop acting like something was bad about him. He gets ran into the ground every year by Berube and every year he's spectacular when he's fresh. It's the coaches job to make sure his players are in the best condition to perform and guess what he's not doing with Binnington.

I was pissed at Binny last year because I wanted a top 5 pick and he kept stealing points.

Reactions: GoldenSeal

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I see this game different than most of you. We won, but I don't think we were great. We had a couple nice individual efforts which led to goals/High Danger chances. But we were dominated on possession. We are not good at the possession game with this team, and this game was more of the same.

We have not been above 50% in Corsi, Fenwick, Shots, Scoring Chances, or expected goals percentage in a single game this year while at 5v5. We only won the HDCF% in 1 game against the coyotes where we got spanked and they didn't need to go balls to the wall, And our PP has been bad, so if we aren't winning the 5v5, I am not jazzed abut our chances to win consistently.

We are being sustained by a above 1.000 PDO, 1.156 last night. Some of that is because Binnington is playing well, and some is because of great moves like Kapanen's assist to Neighbours tonight (which was beautiful). But I don't think relying on those things is sustainable. We need to be a little more proactive on defense to get possession while not leaving the net wide open. We over corrected too much from last year. And we need to be better on the cycle on offense. I have not seen more than 10 seconds of puk possession more than a handful of times this year. We are like a boxer who is dodging and weaving and waiting for his moment to counter attack. But that is a dangerous style, because al it takes is to miss time one weave, take a shot in the face and you are on your back heels.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I see this game different than most of you. We won, but I don't think we were great. We had a couple nice individual efforts which led to goals/High Danger chances. But we were dominated on possession. We are not good at the possession game with this team, and this game was more of the same.

We have not been above 50% in Corsi, Fenwick, Shots, Scoring Chances, or expected goals percentage in a single game this year while at 5v5. We only won the HDCF% in 1 game against the coyotes where we got spanked and they didn't need to go balls to the wall, And our PP has been bad, so if we aren't winning the 5v5, I am not jazzed abut our chances to win consistently.

We are being sustained by a above 1.000 PDO, 1.156 last night. Some of that is because Binnington is playing well, and some is because of great moves like Kapanen's assist to Neighbours tonight (which was beautiful). But I don't think relying on those things is sustainable. We need to be a little more proactive on defense to get possession while not leaving the net wide open. We over corrected too much from last year. And we need to be better on the cycle on offense. I have not seen more than 10 seconds of puk possession more than a handful of times this year. We are like a boxer who is dodging and weaving and waiting for his moment to counter attack. But that is a dangerous style, because al it takes is to miss time one weave, take a shot in the face and you are on your back heels.
i don't think most of us really think this is a good team. we know that it is going to be long season. which is why we savor nights like this, regardless of what underlying numbers say, we won. handily. against dangerous team. take the win.

Last edited:

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
This team never seems to shoot enough

It's a Beribe thing

Then he complains when they don't generate enough offense

Go back to the first sentence

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
6 pages on a game we win. Same IP address being used by a few of you. Stop the hive mind.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
6 pages on a game we win. Same IP address being used by a few of you. Stop the hive mind.

I'm usually amped up about October and a new hockey season. Last season and the last few personnel departures (ROR and DP57) have reduced any enthusiasm I had for Blues hockey to just a casual interest. The only thing that sparks my interest lately is the soccer team, and that might be due to the novelty of it and their great innagural season.

It's sad, but professional sports has really disappointed me lately. The business aspects of it far overshadow the love of the game, the commeraderie, and the pursuit of excellence. It's all become too big and too impersonal. Everything the players say is highly controlled. Everything the clubs do is highly managed and constrained. It's all boring. The pendulum needs to swing back. My daughters play volleyball and I really enjoy watching that. There's no money to be made there (except out of my pocket to their clubs), but the passion and commeraderie are there.

Reactions: BlueKnight

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
I was pissed at Binny last year because I wanted a top 5 pick and he kept stealing points.
Which is an absolutely logical stance to have. I didn't want us to tank but at the same time I totally understood why others, like you, did. If you're going down anyway, tank and get the best pick possible.

i don't think most of us really think is as a good team. we know that this is going to be long season. which is why we savor nights like this, regardless of what underlying numbers say. we won. handily. against dangerous team. take the win.
I think this is a rare year in that everyone, including me, gets what we got and where we're at, so we're being realistic and pragmatic and not jumping to wild extremes (knocks on wood).

We looked great, we won well, these are the kinds of games, whether we ultimately make the playoffs or not, that we get to take a moment and be proud of our boys and to wear the Note. Nothing wrong with any of that.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
i don't think most of us really think this is a good team. we know that it is going to be long season. which is why we savor nights like this, regardless of what underlying numbers say, we won. handily. against dangerous team. take the win.
Agreed. We will almost certainly have more nights like Thursday than like Saturday.

Reactions: GoldenSeal

Mar 6, 2012
We just need to come grips with the reality that this is going to probably be a long uneventful year of mediocrity.

So many fan favorites are gone, replaced with what feels like a bunch of random strangers... it's not going to be the most engaging season.

This is honestly the least excited I've been for the Blues in probably 15 years.

I'll always be a die hard, but it's hard to get excited for a team that is clearly treading water for a few years waiting to see how they want to restructure the team moving forward. It's not a fun period... We're entering the phase of.... "okay, let's not blow it up quite yet but see if we can cling to any sort of moderate success the next few years with what's left of our aging core and whatever random goofballs we got at the NHL player dollar store"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad