GDT: Game 4 | Columbus at Florida | 10/11 7PM

pled

Sep 7, 2009
Harrington was at his best last game but still Kukan the game before was better than Harrington at his best.
I get it but think of it as torts he probably want to see if they pairing can improve together. and he also said he likes harrington for whatever its worth.

but I think in the end when Jones is back we might see Harrington on waiver if no improvement is made and I also hope it happen soon cause Murray will die if he play 26 min a game.

And duclair on first PP is just to replace Foligno and Wennberg so I don't think he will do much worst. I would love to see bjork there as he can actually score but he's on torts bad side right now. what I hope for is nut on the second unit.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
It's kind of ****ing dumb how some teams have 4 games played and some only have 1. I know it all evens out and everyone plays 82, but still.

The scheduling so far this year has been putrid across the league. So many bland matchups within the first week and too many days with 2-3 games only played.

Has to be the worst First week scheduling I can remember since watching my first NHL game

Reactions: MoeBartoli

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Am I the only one who is actually happy Korpi is starting? I thought He played great in DET. I’m excited to see what he can do in his 2nd start of the season.

Although his career numbers against the kitty cats of sunrise is brutal. .889 save percentage, 3.49 GAA

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
If Korpi looks like he can be a starter this year he's not going to accept $1m per this summer. I'm not sure if arbitration would work in our favour there. And even if it's still a modest $3m for our goalies in total, if they're capable of starting, that price tag won't last long. It will give us a lot of cap space next year and maybe some the year after, but likely more cap space than we will be able to use in the short term.

If Panarin and Bob are gone that leaves the club with ~$20m in space - more than enough to sign the two best UFA forwards after Panarin (Stone and Duchene), and odds are we won't have the privilege to sign both, and possibly get neither of them.
Elite players can be picked up thru Trade, doesnt have to be free agency. Last time I checked, Jarmo picked up both Jones, and Panarin, via trade.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Am I the only one who is actually happy Korpi is starting? I thought He played great in DET. I’m excited to see what he can do in his 2nd start of the season.

Although his career numbers against the kitty cats of sunrise is brutal. .889 save percentage, 3.49 GAA
I'm excited, the absolute best thing that could happen to this franchise is that he takes the next step. The panthers have crazy skill though, hope we play solid , in front of him.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
And duclair on first PP is just to replace Foligno and Wennberg so I don't think he will do much worst. I would love to see bjork there as he can actually score but he's on torts bad side right now. what I hope for is nut on the second unit.

Wennberg already is off the top unit and Foligno just set up a PP goal last game. I guess it wouldn't hurt to see how Duclair does net-front. His battle level lately has been impressive.

If Bjorkstrand goes in top unit, it's at the expense of Cam. We've already got Panarin as a RH sniper, those two same thing.

I agree Nuti should be on the PP unit 2, but Murray is also on fire right now so I'm hoping to give him more of a shot on the PP. I personally would like to see Nuti on the right wall, and the same for Werenski on the top unit after Jones gets back. They've got better shots from that spot than our forwards do, and better passes. The trouble is then there won't be enough slots for Cam/Bjorkstrand/Panarin.

----------- Duclair/Foligno/Jenner/Wennberg
Panarin - Dubois - Werenski
----------- Jones

----------- Duclair/Foligno/Jenner/Wennberg
Atkinson - Bjorkstrand - Nutivaara
------------ Murray

I'd like to see how Bjorkstrand does in the middle, but it might be better to put Bjorkstrand on that right side to give him more space to shoot, and only have one spot for a D-man that Nuti and Murray can battle over. As always, I'm going to reiterate that it's really key to put our best shooters in one-time position. Those half-wall spots should be reserved for that.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Elite players can be picked up thru Trade, doesnt have to be free agency. Last time I checked, Jarmo picked up both Jones, and Panarin, via trade.

Lets let this be seen. As essentially the opposite is attempted to be passed of, in regard to Jarmo being a good GM, and just the concept of any "impactful" player being acquired in a trade.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

Sure it's possible, but I have to wonder how easy it will be for him to get away with that kind of grand larceny again. Other GM's have to be willing to trade away their elite players for our non-elite players. It's a lot to ask, don't you think?

Reactions: Viqsi

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
If Bjorkstrand goes in top unit As always, I'm going to reiterate that it's really key to put our best shooters in one-time position.

If changes were going to happen, I'd rather have Bjorkstrand go up. However, I cant trash Duclair being there/getting the chance the same way you and others should still want to see Murray on the PP and getting strong minutes.

I'll finally respond to your "one timer" stuff.

Bjorkstrand, Panarin, Jones, Werenski are the only guys that should be looking to shoot 1 timers.

Dubois and Nutivaara are 50/50 in this sense. Maybe Kukan there too. Dubois is pretty good with the wrist/snap shot 1 timer in the slot.

None of our other forwards/players really have great shots, or are good at 1 timing the puck.

Not Atkinson (in the "traditional" sense of a 'pp 1 timer' ala Dubois), Anderson, Foligno OR Milano.

Not to seem :)innocent:) argumentative but I think the team is built better to either work from down low INTO the slot, or good movement and get good WRIST shots through traffic from high/the point. We shouldn't NOT look to our "big guns" (Panarin, Jones, Werenski) and Bjork for open "CRANKS" but I don't think it should be the "go to" strategy.

Things definitely change, essentially don't matter, when Jones is playing.

Werenski has a really good wrist shot. He is a perfect example, and an example in general where he sometimes forces a 1 time slapshot for "NO" reason. The loss of accuracy almost always counterproductive to the "surprise factor". Who cares if the goalie isn't ready for the puck if goes off the glass (Bjorkstrand) or off a shin pad (Werenski) and the other way.

We could ALSO "use" Panarin shooting a bit more also. Especially on the PP with Jones gone.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
It's kind of ****ing dumb how some teams have 4 games played and some only have 1. I know it all evens out and everyone plays 82, but still.

Yep, both Florida and TB ... played each other for their first game and then haven't had anything until tonight.

Also EDM/NJ, though with them playing overseas I can kinda understand the wait with them.

The scheduling so far this year has been putrid across the league. So many bland matchups within the first week and too many days with 2-3 games only played.

Has to be the worst First week scheduling I can remember since watching my first NHL game

Not a single friggin game on the schedule tomorrow night.... a damn shame considering its a FRIDAY night. Whoever came up with this year's schedule needs a Snickers or something..

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The thing about trades is that if you're trading for a core player, you generally have to give up a core player unless circumstances are really really unusual. For Jones we gave up Johansen. For Panarin we gave up Saad (who was looking pretty vital at the time).

Reactions: CPTN71

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Yup, and let’s say Nutivaara keeps developing , Murray stays healthy , Jones is already elite , Savard is solid, Kukan looks good , Garikov comes over next year , what if the front office wanted to flip Werenski for a Kings ransom ? Sometimes if you have an abundance of strength at one position , another team may have an abundance of wingers ( like the Panthers ) for example , a hockey trade can benefit both teams . Some teams like Toronto will be up against cap hell , plenty of ways to get elite talent aside from free agency .

Reactions: thebus88

major major

Feb 18, 2013
If changes were going to happen, I'd rather have Bjorkstrand go up. However, I cant trash Duclair being there/getting the chance the same way you and others should still want to see Murray on the PP and getting strong minutes.

I'll finally respond to your "one timer" stuff.

Bjorkstrand, Panarin, Jones, Werenski are the only guys that should be looking to shoot 1 timers.

Dubois and Nutivaara are 50/50 in this sense. Maybe Kukan there too. Dubois is pretty good with the wrist/snap shot 1 timer in the slot.

None of our other forwards/players really have great shots, or are good at 1 timing the puck.

Not Atkinson (in the "traditional" sense of a 'pp 1 timer' ala Dubois), Anderson, Foligno OR Milano.

Not to seem :)innocent:) argumentative but I think the team is built better to either work from down low INTO the slot, or good movement and get good WRIST shots through traffic from high/the point. We shouldn't NOT look to our "big guns" (Panarin, Jones, Werenski) and Bjork for open "CRANKS" but I don't think it should be the "go to" strategy.

Things definitely change, essentially don't matter, when Jones is playing.

Werenski has a really good wrist shot. He is a perfect example, and an example in general where he sometimes forces a 1 time slapshot for "NO" reason. The loss of accuracy almost always counterproductive to the "surprise factor". Who cares if the goalie isn't ready for the puck if goes off the glass (Bjorkstrand) or off a shin pad (Werenski) and the other way.

We could ALSO "use" Panarin shooting a bit more also. Especially on the PP with Jones gone.

"CRANKS" is not really what I mean by one-timer positioning. I don't know if you played yourself, but it's faster to do every kind of shot with your stick in one-timer position - one-time slap shot is only one of the options. When you're in the opposite position you usually have to settle the puck and turn in order to take any kind of shot. Bodies get in the lane by that point. Bjorkstrand is very good at getting pucks through the bodies as a right-shot on the right half-wall spot, but he would still have it easier shooting from the one-timer side where he could unload before the shot-blockers get in the way.

And I agree, it's only one option, one weapon. We've got to keep the option of the down-low plays and cross-crease plays, and keep that a serious threat.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Yup, and let’s say Nutivaara keeps developing , Murray stays healthy , Jones is already elite , Savard is solid, Kukan looks good , Garikov comes over next year , what if the front office wanted to flip Werenski for a Kings ransom ? Sometimes if you have an abundance of strength at one position , another team may have an abundance of wingers ( like the Panthers ) for example , a hockey trade can benefit both teams . Some teams like Toronto will be up against cap hell , plenty of ways to get elite talent aside from free agency .

Sure, that's a possibility. It's not the case that~$20m in cap space would be necessary to pull off that sort of trade, though. A few million extra on top of what Werenski would make would do just fine.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
The thing about trades is that if you're trading for a core player, you generally have to give up a core player unless circumstances are really really unusual. For Jones we gave up Johansen. For Panarin we gave up Saad (who was looking pretty vital at the time).

FALSE.

The real "issue" with you Viq, I've learned, seems to be semantics. With Jones/Johansen and Panarin, these guys are much more than simply "core" players.

We've gone over "quality" and "quantity" plenty, even recently with the Panarin (and Bob) stuff.

Look at the Nash to NY trade. ROR to STL. Karlsson to SJ.

This is 1 of the main things I contested when people said we could never (ever) be "better" without Panarin if we got a "futures heavy" package for him. As if we couldn't put together a GOOD package of ("expendable") younger assets to a team for a, as you put it, "core" player. We could do that NOW, before ANY return for Panarin or Bob.

However for A LEGIT player, yes, you are looking at AT LEAST 1 GOOD "right now" roster player, at least. Which also goes against peoples idea that we wouldn't get a (yes, lesser) "roster player" for Panarin, even as a supposed rental.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Sure it's possible, but I have to wonder how easy it will be for him to get away with that kind of grand larceny again. Other GM's have to be willing to trade away their elite players for our non-elite players. It's a lot to ask, don't you think?

Could you name ALL the players in the NHL that you consider "elite" and that you would consider an "adequate replacement" for Panarin….?

Instead of that long list, how bout now narrowing it down to guys that their current teams would EVER THINK about trading them...…?

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Yep, both Florida and TB ... played each other for their first game and then haven't had anything until tonight.

So, what you are saying is, I'll be able to use the repetitive sarcastic "games in hand" joke all year?

NNNIIIIIICCCEEE

2018/19 Columbus Blue Jackets Motto:

SUSTAIN THE UNSUSTAINABILITY

Reactions: CPTN71

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

Eh in this situation, even as an OG Tulip-Nutivaara Crip and a supposed "Werenski hater", you probably look to keep Werenski and deal Nutivaara (in a possible package) for offensive help.

I know people aren't sold/on the wagon on 1 of these guys, YET :)propeller), but a Jones-Werenski-Murray as a 1-2-3, IS and WILL BE great for a while. If Gavrikov comes over and plays to the ability I believe he has shown at HIGH levels of hockey, the CBJ could have 1 of the leagues best offensive/overall D pairing (Jones/Werenski) and 1 of the league best "shutdown" pairing (Murray/Gavrikov). 100% serious, and its NOT out of the question, imo.

aRussian

Oct 21, 2007
Ohio
Each game we've had a solid line, an ok line, and two dead weight lines. I'm hoping that we have more cylinders firing on the CBJ machine tonight. I want to see this team dominate another.

And not get killed in the 2nd period while we are at it!

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
If the way today’s GDT has went is an indication of how we’ll play tonight, we’re bound to get smoked 8-0.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad