GDT: Game #4 Colorada in Vegas. Puck drop ~ 6:40pm MT. Avs Board is with the Boys tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
When the Avs were desperate to win the president's trophy and had to beat Vegas to do so, they beat them and they did it in Vegas. They gotta come out with the same desperation tomorrow at home, because if they lose, they're probably done and another 2nd round exit

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
When the Avs were desperate to win the president's trophy and had to beat Vegas to do so, they beat them and they did it in Vegas. They gotta come out with the same desperation tomorrow at home, because if they lose, they're probably done and another 2nd round exit

It's a different situation. Vegas outplayed the Avs that game, anyway, but now Vegas is actively adjusting their gameplan.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
That was game 54 and no offense but you clearly don't remember that game. The Avs STOLE that game, they were severely outmatched even though they needed to win. It looked every bit as game 3 and game 4.

Imagine us holding the 2-1 lead in game 3. That was game 54 in a nutshell.

cinchronicity

Jan 16, 2021
Durango
See I can't understand this. From what you've said I conclude:

* Bednar is not responsible for the Avs winning the president's trophy because he just rode the team and had nothing to do with it
* Bednar is responsible for the Avs losing the last 2 games against Vegas because he gets outcoached on a daily basis.

Which is it? He has nothing to do with the success, but is solely responsible for the failures?

The Vegas system being better than the Avs system doesn't mean he's a bad coach, a system is built around its players and the component parts. We couldn't implement the Vegas system because we do not have the players to do so. The Avs system works great for the players we have. We got a lot of mileage out of it and we're still in with a shot of moving on to the next round. It just maybe does not match up well with Vegas, but if we want a new system we need some new players who fit that system.

You can't just change the entire system each game because you need to practice and get player buy-in and learn a new system, so your options for reacting are somewhat limited. The Bednar Blender I think has had some success and some failure over the years, but it's not like you can suddenly turn around in the 3rd period and turn into prime Wild trapping.

Why can't both those statements be true? In fact, it is the entire point! Bednar didn't just hit his head and forget how to adjust in game. He has been terrible at in since his first game as a Head Coach. That is the same malady which is killing the Avs in this series. If Bednar could adjust, the Avs would have won the President's Trophy without the tie breaker. Indeed, one need only look at the 4 game Vegas series including Tahoe. Bednar got outcoached and it nearly cost the Avs the trophy.

I'm not sure where anyone could read into my statements that the Avs need to match the Vegas slogging gameplan. Quite the opposite; they need to use their speed and puck moving ability, and make Vegas look silly. But Mac has been getting double and triple teamed all series. No single player can prevent that. A team-wide system is what defeats that, and Bednar has done NOTHING to make that happen. Coaches are supposed to be X and O guys. See things from a different angle, and set up parameters for success. Indeed, this should not be a change in system at all; merely a slight deviation in positioning - the Xs and Os. Willie Keeler once said that the best way to win baseball games is to 'hit it where they ain't.' The same should be said of hockey: In every game, a quality system should 'pass it where they ain't.' I am absolutely not advocating a new system every game. It is a single common sense system, which needs minor positional tweaks here and there based on the system they are playing against. If Mac has 2.5 to 3 guys covering him on entry, that means at least 1 Av has to be wide open. Bednar needs to see that on the video, and gameplan for it. But he does not now, and never has.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Our last 3 games in Vegas are a carbon copy of each other and they managed to do the same for 2 periods in Colorado in game 2.

That's where we are at right now.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
It's a different situation. Vegas outplayed the Avs that game, anyway, but now Vegas is actively adjusting their gameplan.

If both teams are on their game, Vegas will probably outplay the Avs 8 out of 10 times because they have a roster that's more of a grinders and bigger players up and down their lineup, and they're all defensively reliable. Avs have to rely on talent and Grubauer to beat them, and hopefully those two things will prevail tomorrow.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Why can't both those statements be true? In fact, it is the entire point! Bednar didn't just hit his head and forget how to adjust in game. He has been terrible at in since his first game as a Head Coach. That is the same malady which is killing the Avs in this series. If Bednar could adjust, the Avs would have won the President's Trophy without the tie breaker. Indeed, one need only look at the 4 game Vegas series including Tahoe. Bednar got outcoached and it nearly cost the Avs the trophy.

I'm not sure where anyone could read into my statements that the Avs need to match the Vegas slogging gameplan. Quite the opposite; they need to use their speed and puck moving ability, and make Vegas look silly. But Mac has been getting double and triple teamed all series. No single player can prevent that. A team-wide system is what defeats that, and Bednar has done NOTHING to make that happen. Coaches are supposed to be X and O guys. See things from a different angle, and set up parameters for success. Indeed, this should not be a change in system at all; merely a slight deviation in positioning - the Xs and Os. Willie Keeler once said that the best way to win baseball games is to 'hit it where they ain't.' The same should be said of hockey: In every game, a quality system should 'pass it where they ain't.' I am absolutely not advocating a new system every game. It is a single common sense system, which needs minor positional tweaks here and there based on the system they are playing against. If Mac has 2.5 to 3 guys covering him on entry, that means at least 1 Av has to be wide open. Bednar needs to see that on the video, and gameplan for it. But he does not now, and never has.

Nemeth is fantastic at this.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
That was game 54 and no offense but you clearly don't remember that game. The Avs STOLE that game, they were severely outmatched even though they needed to win. It looked every bit as game 2 and game 3.

Imagine us holding the 2-1 lead in game 3. That was game 54 in a nutshell.
Yeah like I said, Vegas will always outplay the Avs. Stylistically Avs don't match up well with Vegas. The Avs 1st line has to win 2 games for them to advance

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
We're going to lose the corsi and have to rely on the PP and puck luck. That's about it.
And Grubauer, and yes PP is probably gonna be the biggest key where the 1st line produces enough for the Avs to get outplayed but win two games. It's not gonna be easy

Reactions: Balthazar

cinchronicity

Jan 16, 2021
Durango
And Grubauer, and yes PP is probably gonna be the biggest key where the 1st line produces enough for the Avs to get outplayed but win two games. It's not gonna be easy

It sure would be nice to get Kadri back for the PP. His numbers were amazing in the playoffs last year, but most of his damage came on the PP.

Reactions: the_fan

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Reminds me of the 2nd Dallas conference championship, where I think the Avalanche could have won, but just refused to adapt. In that case not scoring on the Power Play the final four games.

I've been trying not to draw a parallel to those 90's Avalanche teams that should have won more Cups but couldn't get past Dallas or Detroit, but the thought keeps creeping up into the back of my mind.

Hopefully the Avs get another couple wins here and puts that thought out of my mind. I think the boost from the fans will do them wonders. They need a shot in the arm and something to help put them on their toes instead of their heels to push through these momentum swings.

They talked about possibly being able to go full capacity at Ball Arena for the third round, but it would be awesome if KSE can expedite that and get it for a game 7. Vegas has gained an unfair advantage in that department and I think it's played a factor in their wins.

Reactions: SaltySkywalker

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I've been trying not to draw a parallel to those 90's Avalanche teams that should have won more Cups but couldn't get past Dallas or Detroit, but the thought keeps creeping up into the back of my mind.

Hopefully the Avs get another couple wins here and puts that thought out of my mind. I think the boost from the fans will do them wonders. They need a shot in the arm and something to help put them on their toes instead of their heels to push through these momentum swings.

They talked about possibly being able to go full capacity at Ball Arena for the third round, but it would be awesome if KSE can expedite that and get it for a game 7. Vegas has gained an unfair advantage in that department and I think it's played a factor in their wins.
Hope you are right.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
Kadri is really going to serve the full 8 games before he hears back isn’t he? :laugh:

Allready said it elsewhere: It´s time for the Avalanche Org. to jump in. This is ridiculous.

If this ends in a reduction to 6, but is communicated during the 7th game of the suspension, all hell has to break los.

And WTF is up with the NHLPA and Daly? Jesus, one of your players is getting f***ed on that one and no word so far...?

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
So are these guys getting paid to make these decisions on Kadri? 3 weeks talking about this decision? Hahahahaha How can I apply for the job? Sounds like the best one ever.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00