Post-Game Talk: Game 4 Capitals vs Islanders 7:30 PM (continued...)

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I meant we as fans should ignore it. I'm a big proponent of selective use of the bullhorn and "game tape mailings" to get in the ear of the league and refs. Trotz needs to do more from the bench, imo.

Trotz is chirping but I want our GM to come out of the hammock today.

I am just tired of seeing the manipulating of the league by our playoff opponents, and the Caps sitting idly by. Mario *****ing his way to 10 plus PPs in one game is still fresh in my mind.

We need a dirty typical politician in mgmt. While the hockey world is complaining about Wilson today, we should be countering with false allegations if needed about them running our goalie, buttercup kicking at opponents finishing checks, Martin clearly charging repeatedly throughout games, have a HUGE presser right now to address these concerns. Concerns about player and fan safety at Nassau. Just keep parroting the same thing. It almost doesn't matter what we say. As long as it is loud. Send everyone scrambling to go count Martin's prehit strides for 3 games.

Politics has taught us if you just keep repeating the same lies over and over, people will start to treat them as truth.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
In the regular season I would agree with you, but with the amount of late or early hits that have gone uncalled all series and all playoffs, this was close enough to be no penalty.

I disagree. The optics were terrible IMO. A much bigger guy, coming from a good amount of distance away, traveling at a pretty decent rate of speed absolutely destroyed a smaller player.

Sure when looking at the replays in slow motion he doesn't really do anything wrong. But in real time, when the ref needs to make the call, I think it is very difficult to not think that was a charge. Plus like it or not Wilson is not going to get any benefit of the doubts. Deserved or not he has a reputation and he needs to understand that and take that into account in certain situations IMO.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Alan May said he got a penalty for hitting too hard. I saw the game replay today. Wilson was coasting and took two strides. He just ran over the guy. Clutterbuck and Martin do the same on each shift

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
I disagree. The optics were terrible IMO. A much bigger guy, coming from a good amount of distance away, traveling at a pretty decent rate of speed absolutely destroyed a smaller player.

Sure when looking at the replays in slow motion he doesn't really do anything wrong. But in real time, when the ref needs to make the call, I think it is very difficult to not think that was a charge. Plus like it or not Wilson is not going to get any benefit of the doubts. Deserved or not he has a reputation and he needs to understand that and take that into account in certain situations IMO.

I am definitely not surprised that charging was called there, I was referring to the call for interference.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Wilson acquired his target from a distance, and came in on Visnovsky at high speed. His feet left the ice on the follow through. It was definitely a charge. Two minutes was the appropriate penalty. If an Islanders player had done that to a Capital, you all would be out for blood.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
Wilson acquired his target from a distance, and came in on Visnovsky at high speed. His feet left the ice on the follow through. It was definitely a charge. Two minutes was the appropriate penalty. If an Islanders player had done that to a Capital, you all would be out for blood.
Wrong.

Im out for blood...regardless.

:naughty:

:yo:

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC

I definitely agree with that second part, but that doesn't mean that we would be right either.

He acquired his target from about ten feet away, was already travelling at a high rate of speed (similar to Schenn hit), took two strides to aim himself and hit a guy that was standing still flat footed that fell over backwards causing Wilson to leave his feet by falling over top of him.

I can understand why the refs called a charge in that instance right in front of him, with the viciousness of the hit. That doesn't mean the ref is right either.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Leaving your feet before contact is illegal. Leaving your feet after contact is legal. Wilson left his feet after and as a result of the contact. Pierre on the NBC broadcast said Wilson left his feet and then retracted it after the replay and said there was nothing wrong with that hit.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Leaving your feet before contact is illegal. Leaving your feet after contact is legal. Wilson left his feet after and as a result of the contact. Pierre on the NBC broadcast said Wilson left his feet and then retracted it after the replay and said there was nothing wrong with that hit.

Spot on.

If even the notorious Caps hater Pierre McGuire says nothing is wrong, then nothing is wrong.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Is leaving your feet anywhere in the rulebook?

"A minor or major penalty shall be imposed on a player who skates or jumps into, or charges an opponent in any manner."
Not explicitly, though it is implied by the "jumps into" portion of the rule. Leaving the ice has often been cited by the NHL in their supplemental discipline videos, though.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

Cite the rule book to back that up.

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
"A minor or major penalty shall be imposed on a player who skates or jumps into, or charges an opponent in any manner."
Not explicitly, though it is implied by the "jumps into" portion of the rule. Leaving the ice has often been cited by the NHL in their supplemental discipline videos, though.

Ok but his feet were on the ice when he hit him. He didn't jump into him

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
He only left the ice because of the contact, he never left the ice to make the hit more punishing. The result of sudden forceful impact made his body do that. look at this .gif.

It results as he's leaning over and into the check.

Clean hit.

SPtL3N5.gif

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Yeah if that was Hillen we would be upset, but rational caps fans may also recognize our player is 38 years old with a major major major concussion history and is 6 inches shorter. That is very much what any hit is going to look like if the forward follows through.

I would more be questioning why he is playing against the two most prolific hitters in the game. Why didnt the doctors tell him to retire.

Back to my rant, didnt Montreals coach complain to the media before game 7 about how we are going to run the crease, and to look out for it? I am calling it now. Game 5 is going to be a witch hunt against the Caps and we are going to do nothing but complain after the game. A game too late to act.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Spot on.

If even the notorious Caps hater Pierre McGuire says nothing is wrong, then nothing is wrong.

Pierre said it was an interference and a head shot. Obviously he's wrong, but let's not look to turtle man for support.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
It looks to me that he's already travelling upwards before contact. Regardless, I was specifically answering a question about whether leaving the ice was in the rules or not with that statement. Even if he didn't leave the ice, it's a charge because of the distance travelled and velocity of the check. I'm not sure how anyone could even argue against that. It's pretty much a textbook charge.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

Wrong, wrong, right (but you're wrong on the point you're trying to make), wrong, wrong, right.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
It looks to me that he's already travelling upwards before contact. Regardless, I was specifically answering a question about whether leaving the ice was in the rules or not with that statement. Even if he didn't leave the ice, it's a charge because of the distance travelled and velocity of the check. I'm not sure how anyone could even argue against that. It's pretty much a textbook charge.

Cite the rulebook.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
The NHL ruled that Wilson will not have any further discipline (and they obviously know the rules), so what happened didn't even deserve a fine. Wilson didn't do anything wrong - and if he did, then it was a common 2 minute penalty... one that you take all day. You'll kill those penalties 10 times out of 10. His hit helped turn the momentum around last night.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
traveling upward and leaving your feet are different things. most players are taught to explode upward at contact. upward movement and jumping are not the same thing, again.

edit: are you suggesting that Wilson should be suspended for this? the league is not even looking at it. its not close.

edit 2: the hit changed the game in the caps favor. you would give that back?

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
Dosnt matter if he left his feet. Visnovsky was hunched over and Wilson extended up into his head. Which is contact. Which is a penalty

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Purely a reputation penalty called on Wilson.

Throughout the game we see the likes of Mike Green get drilled in to the boards several seconds after releasing the puck by an opposing forward who began his approach on Green from the faceoff dots and there's never a boarding or charging call. Saw it occur several times just last night in the game in the third period when Caps defenders sent the puck up ice and then they were hit. What's the difference with what we saw with Wilson's hit on Visnovsky? Was it because it was more open ice where Visnovsky did not have the boards to bounce into? From what I saw Visnovsky fumbled with the puck perhaps because of the approaching Wilson and then he just braced himself for the Wilson hit. The size of the involved players should never be made criteria for determining a penalty. Suggestions of Wilson targeting the head or leaving his feet to make the hit is BS! Again if it's all about the number of strides that Wilson had before he made contact with Visnovsky then it's the referee's discretion which is obvious to me that its not so much how many strides a player took to make contact but rather who that player is and his reputation.

Keep in mind Dan O'Halloran was one of the referees last night. O'Halloran does not like the Capitals or Tom Wilson in particular. You just need to look a the March 3 game against the Blue Jackets that O'Halloran was the referee for. That was the game where he gave Marcus Johansson the delay of game penalty near the end of the game when his stick broke. During that game Jared Boll came up high and hit Latta in the head. Latta was injured and Wilson went after Boll. Boll subsequently got 2 minutes for charging and 5 minutes for fighting, Wilson got 2 minutes for instigatior, 5 for fighting and 10 minute misconduct. You think Wilson might be in O'Halloran's book. Latta was out for a number of games from the Boll head shot. Several weeks later Boll was at it again against the Ducks and he got a 3 game suspension for a head shot against a Ducks player.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Cite the rulebook.

Rule 42 - Charging
42.1 Charging - A minor or major penalty shall be imposed on a player who skates or jumps into, or charges an opponent in any manner. Charging shall mean the actions of a player who, as a result of distance traveled, shall violently check an opponent in any manner. A “charge” may be the result of a check into the boards, into the goal frame or in open ice.

Wilson violently checked an opponent as a result of distance traveled. Therefor it's a charge. How anyone can say otherwise is truly astounding.

edit: are you suggesting that Wilson should be suspended for this? the league is not even looking at it. its not close.
:facepalm:
I literally said that two minutes was the appropriate penalty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad