GDT: Game 4: Canada Vs USA | 1PM EST 7PM CET | Can 6 - 4 USA

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
That guy once claimed that the 2013 USA WJC team would beat the 2005 Canadian WJC team in a best of seven series. Needless to say there are some rose coloured glasses being used when watching team USA.

There’s no need to be bitter after a round robin loss anyway.

They don’t really mean anything in the grand scheme of things.

Sometimes an early loss is good for a team in terms of getting them mentally prepared to win the elimination games.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

Sometimes an early loss is good for a team in terms of getting them mentally prepared to win the elimination games.

Yes it's dumb. The trends are what matters at this point. It's not quite as bad as the moaning about losses in the CHL-Russia series but it remains dumb.

Reactions: NyQuil

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005

It's actually quite difficult to beat a good team twice in this tournament.

Reactions: NyQuil

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It's actually quite difficult to beat a good team twice in this tournament.

I’m not sure how one has anything to do with the other. If Canada had lost the game I’d feel pretty much the same about our gold medal chances.

Provided you make it into the elimination round, I don’t really put much stock into the opening round games. At least in terms of results.

It’s really about how the team gels in time for the really important games.

It can have an impact in terms of match-ups and avoiding some of the better teams, but in short tournaments like this, it really seems to be a game to game kind of thing.

It is interesting to face off against two medallist contenders so early. If we do manage to win both games, hopefully the team doesn’t go through a let-down period against potentially weaker opponents before the medal round begins.

Last edited:
Reactions: jj cale

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
The funny thing is that this Canadian team barely squeaked by the worst coached US squad in the history of the tournament.

Canada barely squeaked by? Did you watch the game or just stare at the scoreboard?

I’m not sure how one has anything to do with the other. If Canada had lost the game I’d feel pretty much the same about our gold medal chances.

Provided you make it into the elimination round, I don’t really put much stock into the opening round games. At least in terms of results.

Could have been different in this case, losing to your biggest rival in the first game could really deflate a team. The Germans made it a close game yesterday until a late push by the US.

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com

It’s really about how the team gels in time for the really important games.

It can have an impact in terms of match-ups and avoiding some of the better teams, but in short tournaments like this, it really seems to be a game to game kind of thing.

It is interesting to face off against two medallist contenders so early. If we do manage to win both games, hopefully the team doesn’t go through a let-down period against potentially weaker opponents before the medal round begins.

How do you feel about Canada’s gold medal chances now ?

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
That guy once claimed that the 2013 USA WJC team would beat the 2005 Canadian WJC team in a best of seven series. Needless to say there are some rose coloured glasses being used when watching team USA.
Yes. While there are patriotic fans on all sides, there are some that take it to an insanely different level.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
How do you feel about Canada’s gold medal chances now ?

Well, if we hadn't lost Lafreniere I'd say about the same.

Better to lose big in the round robin than in an elimination game.

As it stands, he leaves a pretty big hole in the skill department. The rest of the team is going to have to step up.

Definitely some concerns around how the defence handled incoming forwards, but that's why they play a couple more games.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
My point is that winning the first game doesn't somehow make winning the second game less likely. They are entirely separate from each other.

No, the outcome of one game certainly has an impact on the play of the teams in the other. Measurability is the problem.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Lafreniere has been known to the hockey world for a number of years and he’s come up huge on the international stage before at the Hlinka Gretzky.

The fact that you think people are saying he’s better than any American or any other player for that matter at this tournament based on one “good performance” is funny.

That opinion isn’t made just off one performance. I mean, the kid is well on his way to being the first back to back CHL Player of the Year awards since Crosby.

It’s plainly obvious how talented he is.

I didn’t say he’s not very good. I said that I wouldn’t overreact to one game. How did he play today? How did Zegras play yesterday? Should we overreact to that?

I think your opinion is a valid one. I wouldn’t be sure he’s the best player in the tournament, but I wouldn’t rule it out either. I’m merely saying that I don’t think the only valid opinion here is that Lafrenière is the best player in the tournament. You took offense to me saying it wasn’t as clear cut as you think it is.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Well, if we hadn't lost Lafreniere I'd say about the same.

Better to lose big in the round robin than in an elimination game.

As it stands, he leaves a pretty big hole in the skill department. The rest of the team is going to have to step up.

Definitely some concerns around how the defence handled incoming forwards, but that's why they play a couple more games.
Well said. The injury loss is big but it would not be a shock to see Russia come out flat tomorrow (against the U.S.) and have Canada finish first in the pool. It might even be likely.

If that's the case, an easy quarters, and then two tough games and we win Gold.

Certainly doable.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Well Canada dominated the US (in play) and the Czechs beat Russia and the Germans beat the Czechs and the US beat the Germans and Russia dominated Canada...so....about the same?
Any result other than a Russian win in regulation tomorrow and Canada likely wins the pool. It's a nice spot to be in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad