GDT: Game 4: Boston Bruins @ Columbus Blue Jackets - 10/12/13 - 2PM ET - NESN(HD), 98.5FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fopppa

Jan 3, 2009
While I was a fan of seeing Bart play in this game....the problem with rotating out these D men is that there's gonna come a time where one does sit upstairs and doesn't play consecutive games. It's the nature of the 7th guy...have to come in and be ready to play at a passable level without going to that "cold from sitting in the pressbox" deal.

I don't think he was awful today, I don't think he was great....it's just that consistency is gonna be tough to show when he's (or Krug, or Hamilton) not getting consistent games. It's the flip side of having the impressive depth the Bruins have.

That'll be on Claude and the coaching staff to manage effectively.

Absolutely agree. My point is he came from pre-season games and a couple weeks rest (or whatever) straight into a game with NHL tempo. It's bound to be an adjustment that would hopefully be less obvious after a layoff of a few games mid-season.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
At this point I don't think it's a 3-man D rotation. I think Krug has proved he needs to be in this lineup. He brings what no other Dman on this team brings. It's between Bart and Hamilton.

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
I wasn't impressed at all with Bartkowski. He was sloppy and slow in his decision making. I understand he hasn't played yet, but at the same time, if you are getting the opportunity to play, you need to be ready and you need to be smart about what you do on the ice.

I see no reason why Hamilton, who I thought played better than Bart in his 3 games, shouldn't be in the lineup against Detroit.

Fopppa

Jan 3, 2009
I wasn't impressed at all with Bartkowski. He was sloppy and slow in his decision making. I understand he hasn't played yet, but at the same time, if you are getting the opportunity to play, you need to be ready and you need to be smart about what you do on the ice.

I see no reason why Hamilton, who I thought played better than Bart in his 3 games, shouldn't be in the lineup against Detroit.

You just can't give a guy like Bart that, by all accounts, was excellent in camp and pre-season just one single game in which he was by no means a catastrophy and the Bs won before you put him back on the shelf. I'm no stranger to putting Dougie back in, but Bart needs at least one more game to show what he can do.

SerenityRick

Jan 23, 2008
Moultonborough, NH
Iginla quietly played a pretty great game. I had no idea he was so good at killing penalties.

I'm surprised he hasn't netted his first yet. In my opinion he's played well enough to get a few goals already if not for a couple clutch blocks and saves

DNE3

Sep 14, 2010
I wasn't impressed at all with Bartkowski. He was sloppy and slow in his decision making. I see no reason why Hamilton, who I thought played better than Bart in his 3 games, shouldn't be in the lineup against Detroit.

And I see no need for McQuaid to be in the lineup against nonphysical teams, like Detroit, and playing over Bartkowski.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Iginla quietly played a pretty great game. I had no idea he was so good at killing penalties.

I'm surprised he hasn't netted his first yet. In my opinion he's played well enough to get a few goals already if not for a couple clutch blocks and saves

He got robbed several times ny Giguere and a few times today.

He has very good hands and I think give him about 5 more games and he is going to be comfortable and putting up points.

Bruins seem to be throwing all sorts of shots on goal but getting the puck in the net seems to be a problem.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Bruins seem to be throwing all sorts of shots on goal but getting the puck in the net seems to be a problem.

And see, I don't mind this so much.

They've allowed only four goals in four games. Well, one empty net goal... But I think we're going to see this team best a modern GAA franchise record.

The number of stoppable shots on the goal are going to lead to wins (and occasionally big wins)... And once everyone on the roster is comfortable, we'll see a little more creativity and risk-taking leading to some stronger shooting percentages.

The pieces are in place and I'm encouraged, even though a game like the one against the Avs can be extremely frustrating.

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
You just can't give a guy like Bart that, by all accounts, was excellent in camp and pre-season just one single game in which he was by no means a catastrophy and the Bs won before you put him back on the shelf. I'm no stranger to putting Dougie back in, but Bart needs at least one more game to show what he can do.

That's the thing though, he needs to be good everytime he gets the chance, otherwise, what is the point of taking a guy like Hamilton out who was playing well?

TMac21

Save us Sweeney
May 21, 2003

Agreed - I don't think today was a result of Dougie not playing well so far, but more of a chance to get Bart some ice time. He will have to be better if he wants to play that is for sure.

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
And I see no need for McQuaid to be in the lineup against nonphysical teams, like Detroit, and playing over Bartkowski.

-------
I disagree.

McQuiad is part of this squad. We need his physicality. His a tough SOB, hard nose and dedicated player. I want that guy in my line up.

For me : It's between Hamilton and Bart. And for me actually it would be Bart in. I also feel Bart with a regular presence in the line up would so more. Hamilton in Providence for now. BUT my thoughts are that Hamilton is the Z future replacement and he needs responsibility and ALOT of time tough game.

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige

--------
Lost his man on first Jack's goal. Positioning wasn't there on the PK, but was more and more good going on.

That is CJ style. He needs duo for the PK --and is already indicating his will on Iginla being there. I think JI will be fine in that role - but for now he really needs to work his PK positioning.

DNE3

Sep 14, 2010
-------
I disagree. McQuiad is part of this squad. We need his physicality. His a tough SOB, hard nose and dedicated player. I want that guy in my line up.

'And I see no need for McQuaid to be in the lineup against nonphysical teams like Detroit' Against nonphysical teams, and skating teams, I prefer their best skating defenceman to be in the lineup. We can prefer different approach.

ORRMAN

Dec 3, 2008
I know Bart made a couple of mistakes, but he recovered from each. He has great speed and handles the puck well; pretty physical as well.

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
I know Bart made a couple of mistakes, but he recovered from each. He has great speed and handles the puck well; pretty physical as well.

-----
My issue with Bart is pressure. Can he manage it!!!!

That is why he needs to play.

Hamilton is 19 and is the Bruins defence future. That kid needs to play big time responsible minutes. A short or average stage in Providence would do no harm ... my thoughts.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton

Bartkowski seemed to be in love with his skating ability today,he held onto the puck too long and he wasn't nearly physical enough.He obviously has the tools but he didn't impress enough to start against Detroit.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
-----
My issue with Bart is pressure. Can he manage it!!!!

That is why he needs to play.

Hamilton is 19 and is the Bruins defence future. That kid needs to play big time responsible minutes. A short or average stage in Providence would do no harm ... my thoughts.

At this point I don't think Hamilton is able to play in Providence. I could be way off though, that stuff confuses me.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
At this point I don't think Hamilton is able to play in Providence. I could be way off though, that stuff confuses me.

Pretty sure he is eligible for Providence but Indont think the will send him.

I am kind of torn-as far as Bart-I think he is probably the he's skater among he D-men-he just seemed on the rusty side. Problem is I think Krug has earned his spot and I think the team is keeping Mcquaid in for his physical presence and stay at home style. I think right now Bart and Dougie are the odd men out.

I also am not sure I like Bart and Seids together-I kind of liked Bart and Boychuk from the playoffs better.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
Rask is the best goaltender in the NHL IMO. So calm and confident.

Marchand has his head up is ass right now. Don't know what's going on there, but it's quite apparent his head isn't in the game. Bergeron and Eriksson both performed much better with a simple hard working player on their wing.

Bartkowski looked off. Umburger simply blew by him at least three times. With that said, I still think McQuaid is the weakest link among the 7 defenseman.

Neither Seidenberg or Boychuk should ever see PP time. Having a heavy shot does not make you a PP QB. Lateral mobility, shot selection, and decision making are much more important traits when selecting point men for the man advantage.

I'm another game or two away from jumping on the Jordan Caron band wagon. He's been consistently bringing it since the puck dropped.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Caron was fantastic today, I'll say that much. Smith looked great too on the 2nd line.

McQuaid is a weak link and often looks in over his head now, I have no idea what's wrong with him. Maybe time to start looking for a replacement, they can't be too tough to come by (tough stay at home defensemen); Slotting in Bart for him might make us too small on the back end.

Rask is incredible. I still hate his contract but wow has he been good.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I missed the last half of the game today. Seems like I was bad luck because they were down 1 0 when I had to leave with a little time left in the 2nd. Glad they came back but I must say I really haven't been impressed the last couple games.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
Problem with Bart is, at his best (that he's shown so far) he skates well, plays good positional D, pretty solid physical play, boxing guys out, etc., some decent offensive instincts... but maybe doesn't do any single one of those things exceptionally well - like the way Krug has brought mobility, passing, shooting.

And the way things are, we have plenty of stay-at-home Dmen who perform that role just as well if not better. Maybe Bart skates better than 1 or 2 of them, but his all-round game doesn't make as much of an impact to the mix of skills on D as Krug and Hamilton do.

Bart may be a budding Ference or Don Sweeney, but right now, I'd rather put Hamilton in the lineup because he's a budding stud Dman - big, gets his shot on net and isn't afraid to jump up into the play. I like Bart a lot, but I just think the team is better served by giving Dougie the minutes, and I don't see Bart usurping any of the top 4.

As for playing Bart over Quaider against teams that aren't physical - even Detroit has guys like Bertuzzi. I'd rather see McQuaid vs. guys like that. He's been real snarly around Tuukka so far this season, clearing out guys that hang around. We need that.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Dougie's play in the first 3 games were >>> than Bart's showing today. Chalk it up to rust maybe, but Bart had a bad game plain and simple. Doesn't mean he doesn't deserve another shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad